The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

Sometimes i feel that it is unfair when people compare Bouchard to Milos. It's not even a fair comparison. Or when they pit them against each other. That's the worst.

I agree. They're playing the same sport, but in literally different, leagues, against different competition. There are some good female tennis players that have been great for a long time, but just comparing the direct competition in front of Raonic and Bouchard, it's not even close. Factoring in that players in the ATP have longer careers, different peek ages, and larger degrees of consistency over their WTA countrerparts, and there's little purpose or method to comparing the two.

Bouchard is likely to take more titles than Raonic in her respective league, but it speaks absolutely nothing against what Raonic in what he has already, and will in the future, achieve. That's both in regards to the level of competition, and the fact that pitting the successes of the two against each other solves nothing, when their successes are not comparative, but additive, for Canadian Tennis.

I agree. They're playing the same sport, but in literally different, leagues, against different competition. There are some good female tennis players that have been great for a long time, but just comparing the direct competition in front of Raonic and Bouchard, it's not even close. Factoring in that players in the ATP have longer careers, different peek ages, and larger degrees of consistency over their WTA countrerparts, and there's little purpose or method to comparing the two.

Bouchard is likely to take more titles than Raonic in her respective league, but it speaks absolutely nothing against what Raonic in what he has already, and will in the future, achieve. That's both in regards to the level of competition, and the fact that pitting the successes of the two against each other solves nothing, when their successes are not comparative, but additive, for Canadian Tennis.

I'm hoping now that some female tennis players can beat Li Na or Serena means that the tennis level in the wta has gone up.

Raonic is good for Tennis Canada while Bouchard is good for tennis as a sport. She has every opportunity to take over Sharpova's spot as the pretty, talented tennis superstar. She also plays exciting tennis. Raonic... is very boring to watch. He destroys opponents with his serve, which is improving every year. He'll never have an exciting style like Fed, Rafa or Joker. He's more of an Andy Murray type of guy. Doesn't matter how dry his play is, as long as he wins.

I'm hoping now that some female tennis players can beat Li Na or Serena means that the tennis level in the wta has gone up.

The most important thing for tennis is that you have special players who are young, consistent, and exciting to watch. If there are no players who have all three attributes, the tennis tends to get a bit boring. Fans want dominant players like Rafa or Federer to come up the ranks.

Men's tennis was spoiled for sometime the past decade. The problem is that nobody has come up behind Murray and Joker. Del Potro had potential but that injury sort of derailed his career. After that, there hasn't been much. Nishikori and Raonic can't really be considered young anymore, and their styles of play aren't particularly exciting. Dimitrov is having a breakout year and I'm curious to see if he'll live up to his "baby Federer" name.

I find women's tennis to be inconsistent. Beyond the outright #1 favourites, the draw tends to become very unpredictable. We're at a point where the Williams sisters are washed up. Serena was the only player who you could count on reaching the semis, and now that era is over. Sharapova is a mixed bag, and then who do you have after that? There have been some young players who've won slams the past few years, but I don't remember them. But the problem with women's tennis is that the big names like Sharapova and Azarenka... are screamers. No fun to watch.

On the other hand, Eugenie Bouchard has just made her third straight semifinal in her breakout year. She is a very aggressive player who likes to win her points early on the baseline. She is young, mentally tough and doesn't moan. And she is winning the crowd over with her charm and personality. The WTA will be banking on her to actually win a slam and not become Wozniacki 2.0.

Raonic is good for Tennis Canada while Bouchard is good for tennis as a sport. She has every opportunity to take over Sharpova's spot as the pretty, talented tennis superstar. She also plays exciting tennis. Raonic... is very boring to watch. He destroys opponents with his serve, which is improving every year. He'll never have an exciting style like Fed, Rafa or Joker. He's more of an Andy Murray type of guy. Doesn't matter how dry his play is, as long as he wins.

The most important thing for tennis is that you have special players who are young, consistent, and exciting to watch. If there are no players who have all three attributes, the tennis tends to get a bit boring. Fans want dominant players like Rafa or Federer to come up the ranks.

Men's tennis was spoiled for sometime the past decade. The problem is that nobody has come up behind Murray and Joker. Del Potro had potential but that injury sort of derailed his career. After that, there hasn't been much. Nishikori and Raonic can't really be considered young anymore, and their styles of play aren't particularly exciting. Dimitrov is having a breakout year and I'm curious to see if he'll live up to his "baby Federer" name.

I find women's tennis to be inconsistent. Beyond the outright #1 favourites, the draw tends to become very unpredictable. We're at a point where the Williams sisters are washed up. Serena was the only player who you could count on reaching the semis, and now that era is over. Sharapova is a mixed bag, and then who do you have after that? There have been some young players who've won slams the past few years, but I don't remember them. But the problem with women's tennis is that the big names like Sharapova and Azarenka... are screamers. No fun to watch.

On the other hand, Eugenie Bouchard has just made her third straight semifinal in her breakout year. She is a very aggressive player who likes to win her points early on the baseline. She is young, mentally tough and doesn't moan. And she is winning the crowd over with her charm and personality. The WTA will be banking on her to actually win a slam and not become Wozniacki 2.0.

Agree with most things said here, except for Rafa playing an exciting style. He has a notorious nickname: Nadull.

Watching Bouchard vs Halep, both are spraying shots left and right. Bouchard missing a lot of easy shots, and a ton of opportunities. Bouchard is just missing everything right now.

Agree with most things said here, except for Rafa playing an exciting style. He has a notorious nickname: Nadull.

Watching Bouchard vs Halep, both are spraying shots left and right. Bouchard missing a lot of easy shots, and a ton of opportunities. Bouchard is just missing everything right now.

Nevertheless, first set to Bouchard!

Wimbledon finalist just 2 years after winning Junior Wimbledon. That's a heck of a step up for Genie. What a trajectory.

What a performance by her. So clinical, so businesslike. I love how she is so composed. Expected to win, not surprised to win.

Wow

I didn't like the complaint that Bouchard had on her first match point. It seemed petty. She didn't need to do that and it seemed to stay with her for a while.

It may have seemed petty, but she didn't act petty about it, it's not like she screamed, yelled and just generally had a giant hissy fit, which It seems some tennis players are wont to do. :P

Sometimes i feel that it is unfair when people compare Bouchard to Milos. It's not even a fair comparison. Or when they pit them against each other. That's the worst.

Not sure at all if these comments were aimed at me, but that's not at all what I meant. We have 2 phenomenal players, probably with more on the way.

All I meant was that Genie is more marketable. I'm not trying to downplay either her or Milos's talent and skill, I just think she will get the bigger spotlight. And yes, the women's game being a bit more open for the taking will of course factor in.

BTW, this is what I love about tennis. In sports, typically women take a back seat to their male counterparts in terms of exposure. Tennis seems to buck that trend, the men do have a larger following, but it seems that anyone who's actually serious about tennis will watch both. :)

Edited by ckamo

Was a great even game. Bouchard took over the 2nd set, the finals are going to be good. Bouchard is going to be nervous though.

Not sure about that, Bouchard seems to be made of something different. Besides, she has an entire country to be nervous for her

Nestor lost his quarters match-up in Men's Doubles, but Pospisil and Sock won theirs and are now in the semi's.

Nestor did win his Mixed Doubles match, and is in the quarter finals.

Raonic is in the semi's, Eugenie is in the finals, pretty amazing how well the Canadians have been doing.

I think the only way Raonic will be able to beat Federer is if his serve is completely on, and doesn't allow Federer to break him, Raonic is going to have to win a couple of tie breaks methinks.

Edited by Glory_Days

Not sure about that, Bouchard seems to be made of something different. Besides, she has an entire country to be nervous for her

At the beginning of the match she was missing some shots she should have made and kept letting Halep in the game.

At the beginning of the match she was missing some shots she should have made and kept letting Halep in the game.

As much as she may not let on publicly, she is human and she is bound to get nervous. Even when serving for the match and up 2 breaks, it took 6 match points for her to close it out.

She's learning how to navigate different situations. That's the point here. Winning or losing Wimbledon will not be the key here. The key will be what she learns from the experience.

• Upvote 1

To be fair, I've noticed in a lot of her matches, it seems to take Genie a few games to really get into her groove. Yes though, it looked like she was missing some shots that she normally wouldn't, but when the points mattered most, she made them count.

As much as she may not let on publicly, she is human and she is bound to get nervous. Even when serving for the match and up 2 breaks, it took 6 match points for her to close it out.

She's learning how to navigate different situations. That's the point here. Winning or losing Wimbledon will not be the key here. The key will be what she learns from the experience.

Of course that's understandable she's only 20 years old. I'm just pointing it out that her nerves got to her early but she took the came over in the 2nd when it looked like she got rid of those nerves.

To be fair, I've noticed in a lot of her matches, it seems to take Genie a few games to really get into her groove. Yes though, it looked like she was missing some shots that she normally wouldn't, but when the points mattered most, she made them count.

That seemed to be the case when she took over the 2nd set.

Edited by Plum