The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

marleau_12

Return to Me - 3/10. My wife wanted to watch it and it provided a "special" reward from my wife after watching. So it gets 3.

Where the Heart Is - 1/10. Wife wanted to watch it, did not receive anything after. It gets a 1.

City of Ember - 6/10. Tried to keep in mind what it would be like if I were a young kid watching it. So it was enjoyable enough for what it was.

Last movie in theatres

**SPOILERS** Apologies!

Woman in Black = 6/10. Scary movie with Daniel Radcliffe. Weird seeing him without the lightning scar, wand and glasses. Never noticed how blue his eyes were. Anyways, the movie was very freaky and chilling. In this movie he's a widowed lawyer that goes to this town. He's collecting some papers on a deceased woman. He goes to her house and sees/hears all these disburbing things. He sees her image in a graveyard, hears music boxes playing, seeing her dead body hanging from the ceiling, seeing her dead son, seeing all the dead children in the town. The ending is what really ruined the movie. His son comes to the town and the son sees the woman which makes him fall into the railroad into an oncoming train (she makes children kill themselves) and Daniel Radcliffe falls in with him. They both die and are reunited with his wife/mother in heaven. Made no sense.

Last movie watched

Star Wars episode VI Return of the Jedi = 9/10

Favorite movie of the Star Wars saga. Showdown of Luke vs Darth Vader never gets old. I love the little Ewoks hitting the Storm troopers with rocks and logs. Heehee. Love seeing Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford and Billy-Dee Williams back in their younger days. Awesome series! Must see for everyone! Though I'm sure most of you have seen the series.

"You failed your highness. I am a Jedi!" Love that line!

I just found Limelight video a couple of weeks ago, so I've been watching some really interesting foreign flicks lately:

Tokyo Story: 9/10 - It's one of the most important films ever made. It's from the 50s so you have to excuse some mediocre acting and sound, but the director (Ozu) was so far ahead of his time in terms of cinematography and narrative scope that it more than makes up for it. I found out afterwards that it's available on youtube, so check it out if you enjoy the classics

A Tale of Two Sisters 7/10 - I heard nothing but great things, so I was a little disappointed with this flick. Once the twists start piling on halfway through the movie you lose complete track of the narrative. It was made that way on purpose, so if you're into psychological horror you'll probably still enjoy it, but I ended up being pretty frustrated by it. Very atmospheric though. The American remake (which by all accounts is crap) was filmed on Bowen Island last year.

Solaris (original) 7.5/10 - My first Tarkovsky experience. I had heard that his movies could be a little slow, but I really wasn't prepared for just how slow this was going to be .It's a near-flawless film in terms of sound/cinematography/acting/narrative etc... But I kept getting pulled out of it by 2-minute long sleeping scenes, and one particularly ridiculous 5 minute driving scene.

Spirited Away 9/10 - One of the most enjoyable films I've seen in a long time. I'm generally not a huge fan of animated films, but this one was really fantastic. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Straw Dogs (original) 8.5/10 - The basic premise is that Dustin Hoffman and his new wife (girlfriend?) move to the UK for a teaching job, where they're targeted for violence by the locals. Essentially it's the story of an academic coming to grips with his more animalistic impulses (defending your home, wife, honour etc...), It's punctuated by a couple of infamous scenes: a rape, and a home invasion. If you think you can stomach it, it has something really interesting to say, and it's never boring.

As Tears Go By: 7.5/10 - I wanted to watch a Wong Kar-Wai film so I picked this up accidentally thinking it was his much more famous Chungking Express. It's basically the plot of Mean Streets, but set in Hong Kong and with a little more romance involved. It's good, but not great.

Archived