The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

marleau_12

MI4: Ghost Protocol - 7.5/10

Decent action movie with fantastic gadgets and gimmicks. Was slightly more believable than past entries.

---------------------------------

Father of Invention - 6/10

Despite having a great cast, I don't remember hearing anything about this 2010 movie. Kevin Spacey is a multi-millionaire "fabricator" of those made-for-TV gadgets, but gets thrown in prison for negligence and loses all his money. When released, he tries to make amends with his daughter, and get back into the invention game.

Interesting premise, but it could have been a lot better. Spacey was spot-on, but a lot of the secondary characters were either underutilized (Knoxville, Stamos), or kind of annoying (his daughter). But overall, a fairly good comedy.

Hugo - 8/10

Visually stunning, superbly acted, and has a great underlying message. However, it gets to the point very slowly, especially in the first half. And Hugo's relationships could have used a bit more development. Overall though, a very good movie.

Midnight in Paris - 10/10. I was absolutely shocked at how enjoyable this movie was. I had never seen a Woody Allen film before this, as I thought only art house freaks had time for his shenanigans, but this is making me take a second look now. Terrific, terrific film.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon - 0/10. This was horrendously bad. For anybody to say, "But the special effects were good, so give points for that at least." No. In 2012, there is no excuse for bad special effects, so I won't give points for good special effects. This was the biggest waste of time, and probably the worst movie I have seen since The Adventures of Pluto Nash.

Adam - 7/10 - I very muched enjoyed this film. I big reason why I was interested in seeing this is that my sister in law has Aspergers Syndrome, so to see a take on this in film was very interested to me and my wife.

Midnight in Paris - 10/10. I was absolutely shocked at how enjoyable this movie was. I had never seen a Woody Allen film before this, as I thought only art house freaks had time for his shenanigans, but this is making me take a second look now.  Terrific, terrific film.

I'm a Woody Allen fan, so maybe I can make a few suggestions. He does have some pretentious films, so if you jumped right into one of these and weren't used to his schtick, you may get turned off and miss out on some fantastic movies. Midnight in Paris was fantastic. It's actually kind of similar to The Purple Rose of Cairo, which is also one of his least pretentious and overall best films. So if you want more of the nostalgic fantasy element, that would be a good place to start. Annie Hall, Manhattan, and Hannah and Her Sisters are three of his most highly regarded films. They all kind of follow that 'dating lives of middle-aged New York yuppies' theme. A few of my faves are just completely off-the-wall: Sweet and Lowdown, Bananas, and Mighty Aphrodite. The first is a mockumentary of a jazz guitarist, and Sean Penn is awesome in the lead. Bananas is an Airplane!-like farce. And Mighty Aphrodite...well, it's just plain hilarious. Another genre he does well are more serious murder mysteries. Crimes and Misdemeanors and Match Point are two of his best. He also combines mysteries with comedy in some films, like Manhattan Murder Mystery and Scoop...not exactly classics, but still fun.

Thanks for the help. I actually just recently finished watching Manhattan Murder Mystery and Play it Again, Sam. Thought MMM was very well done and quite funny. I think I probably need to give Play it Again, Sam another look. Wasn't blown away, but enjoyed it enough. I won't see Sweet and Lowdown, only because I cannot stand Sean Penn. I'm less pretentious now than I was before I was married, but I will not watch Sean Penn, the guy irritates me.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy 7.5/10 - I had such high hopes for this movie based on the director, cast, and source material. It was hard enough to follow in the first 20 minutes that you're kind of playing catch-up for the rest of the film. It's also pretty slow. it's good, just not great.

Red State - 6.5/10 - It's worth watching, but it doesn't really have a lot to say. There's nothing controversial in anything Kevin Smith is showing us. I don't understand the controversy surrounding the film at all.

The Muppets 8/10 - Again, I was expecting better.based on its reception when it came out. It's a good family film, but it's very light fare. It's not like a Pixar film which sticks with you for a long time afterwards.

Melancholia 7/10 - I really like Lars Von Trier films, and this might be the best portrayal of depression ever put on film, but it's not easy to watch. The second half especially is a real slog. The slow-mo montage in the beginning is very cool, and as always Von Trier gets amazing performances from his female leads (Dunst especially).

Meek's Cutoff 8.5/10 - I really liked this film, and if you can handle slower paced movies I highly recommend it. It's about 3 families in 1845 who pack up their belongings and pay a guide to take them on the Orgeon trail. But the guide is a fraud and they end up completely lost and without food or water. There's a lot of walking and not a lot of major plot events, but every decision they make is life-and-death that the tension stays high throughout. But be warned, if you don't like ambiguous ending this might be the most infuriating one I've ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived