The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald | RW/LW

avelanch

He fills in for Sestito, while he clears his vision from all the beatings...

Sestito absolutely destroys Archie in the fighting department btw...

Archie is a big body who plays a hard game and has some skill. He might have trouble carving out a role but he is a serviceable 4th liner.

Archie is a big body who plays a hard game and has some skill. He might have trouble carving out a role but he is a serviceable 4th liner.

Well right now he's sitting in the press box and Tortorella is playing Weber in his place. This guy has some to offer but he needs to show it. I just don't understand what approach he's taking...here's your chance, show your stuff...shine... but he insists on playing a sort of vanilla game. Get in some ones grill do a little pushing and shoving start some thing...lets see what you got. You're not the next Gretzky but you may end up the next Weise.

Agree that in fighting department Sestito is the bigger player. But if Archibald can't lift the mantle from Sestito the will be no room for him on this team. He has the size and the ability to destroy to give lasting memories, but he doesn't use them enough...

I'm hoping to hear from the utica followers. I can only comment on what he's brought to the table in the NHL, which is almost nothing. He doesn't fight, he doesn't hit enough or play with an edge. I haven't seen the skill that others speak of either.

Someone before me nailed it, he plays a vanilla game. We already have plenty of that.

Is it his skills, or simply that he hasn't had a good supporting cast? As was stated, he is a "serviceable 4th liner", but what if the 4th line is not where he belongs? I don't like the fact that some would just give up on him before he has had a chance to find his niche in the NHL. Very hard to prove his worth playing limited time with a unsuitable supporting cast.

The guy can produce down here because Coach Green found a place for him to "fit". A "players coach" will do that for a player. Not sure Torts will do that or if he even cares. He deserves the same chance Jensen has. He needs to find the right chemistry on the 4th line, and play there more often. He can only learn so much from the press box.

In order for him to produce he needs to play. I can't see how he can be judged from a limited role. He was called up for a reason, because he produces down here.

Is it his skills, or simply that he hasn't had a good supporting cast? As was stated, he is a "serviceable 4th liner", but what if the 4th line is not where he belongs? I don't like the fact that some would just give up on him before he has had a chance to find his niche in the NHL. Very hard to prove his worth playing limited time on a unsuitable line.

The guy can produce down here because Coach Green found a place for him to "fit". A "players coach" will do that for a player.

Problem is we have too many 3rd liners already, good ones too. If he's to be a Canuck it would be on the 4th line. I will give you that the Canucks 4th line is and always has been garbage. But at some point a player has to show something on his own, he's had ample minutes to do so and the results are he's sitting while a d-man has to play forward.

Can't stand the fact Torts keeps playing Weber over Archibald. Ridiculous idea to play dman over forward, in a forward position, when it isn't needed. Overall, can't stand Torts overly defensive system when this team has been lacking to goal scoring all year right in front of his eyes. By making the structure even more defensive it just holds us back more and doesn't create any momentum.

Can't stand the fact Torts keeps playing Weber over Archibald. Ridiculous idea to play dman over forward, in a forward position, when it isn't needed. Overall, can't stand Torts overly defensive system when this team has been lacking to goal scoring all year right in front of his eyes. By making the structure even more defensive it just holds us back more and doesn't create any momentum.

How is it the coach's fault when a player can't grasp the opportunity presented to him? This isn't his first stint with the big club. He has bounced back and forth. Once you are benched for a defenceman to play your spot, you really need that light bulb to go on or you are done.

How is it the coach's fault when a player can't grasp the opportunity presented to him? This isn't his first stint with the big club. He has bounced back and forth. Once you are benched for a defenceman to play your spot, you really need that light bulb to go on or you are done.

What? Archibald has played great and supported his role as a bottom six piece. He skated well, contributed with the puck, and was fine positionally. Not to mention he used his body. He did everything needed of him.

Well right now he's sitting in the press box and Tortorella is playing Weber in his place. This guy has some to offer but he needs to show it. I just don't understand what approach he's taking...here's your chance, show your stuff...shine... but he insists on playing a sort of vanilla game. Get in some ones grill do a little pushing and shoving start some thing...lets see what you got. You're not the next Gretzky but you may end up the next Weise.

Ah, we're back to that I guess. Again, don't oversell that this is all an issue with Archie not taking chances or being a physical enough presence to warrant playing him.

They've mentioned it on the broadcasts but they've been keeping Weber in because they like using him of late as an option on the PP. That isn't solely an indictment of Archie's play, much as we said the last time around.

But my take on his play up here is he's been a replacement level 4th line option that can get some extra time if there's any cover needed in a game. He hasn't particularly been a liability defensively, works hard around the net and still likes to skate up the wing and put a shot on net. He can be a good forechecker, just needs to find some consistency and a bit more edge to his game to be successful at this level.

He has a ways to go to get really effective in that role, but he's not doing too bad either. He's been trying to bring it on a team that hasn't been doing all that great either, so that doesn't make it easier.

What? Archibald has played great and supported his role as a bottom six piece. He skated well, contributed with the puck, and was fine positionally. Not to mention he used his body. He did everything needed of him.

Let's not get carried away. If he was doing all that good stuff, then he wouldn't get benched. As Elvis pointed out, he is a replacement level 4th liner. That essentially means you can get that same game from just about anyone who has made it to the NHL.

Let's not get carried away. If he was doing all that good stuff, then he wouldn't get benched. As Elvis pointed out, he is a replacement level 4th liner. That essentially means you can get that same game from just about anyone who has made it to the NHL.

He's not getting played because Torts is full of his old self and defensive style, and would rather the "safer route" in his mind, by making the 4th line as defensive as possible and not taking a "risk" on a younger guy.

He's not getting played because Torts is full of his old self and defensive style, and would rather the "safer route" in his mind, by making the 4th line as defensive as possible and not taking a "risk" on a younger guy.

Same way he wouldn't "risk" putting a younger guy on the first line right? Weber plays because he's a power play option for a lackluster power play. End of story.

Archibald is a decent fourth liner in his rookie season in the NHL he's not likely to be a standout by any means at this point.

Same way he wouldn't "risk" putting a younger guy on the first line right? Weber plays because he's a power play option for a lackluster power play. End of story.

Archibald is a decent fourth liner in his rookie season in the NHL he's not likely to be a standout by any means at this point.

If we were having offensive success and Torts's job wasn't on the line, I highly doubt he'd be getting much first line minutes.

So, like I said, if he had the opportunity to play more, he would have the opportunity to produce more, right? IMO, He just isn't getting his fair shake under Torts. He gets his minutes in Utica and proves his worth, granted, at the AHL level. One thing for certain, he can't produce from the press box.

I'm not predicting he'd be a "standout" player because I do not possess a crystal ball. I'm just saying that he needs "on ice" time, not press box time, to gain the confidence and skills to produce. He is there for a reason and I just wish he would play more to see what that reason is.

Archived