The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

8 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Classic rip job. The ref lets the play go on past +4.  Plenty chance to call the game when the ball was at midfield.  Whether it's the Canucks or the Caps. Gotta beat the refs as well as the opposition when playing an eastern team. 

The extra extra-time aside. Just a horrible string of events from Waston and Ousted compounded by Harvey playing legit trying to head the ball away where he could have just taken a straight red for handling that shot as there was no time left to take a penalty. 

• Upvote 1

I saw it on TV and caught late second half, I haven't watched any soccer game in full for years and I don't even care about soccer, even for Canadian Soccer Championship to qualify for Championship League for North America and I must laugh at that occurring because all I know is that the clock can be rigged to give one last possession a shot when it's 94 minutes and TFC didn't even have any possession until the goalkeeper handled the ball.   The referee must blow that down regardless.  This is exactly the reason why I am not a fan of soccer or European Football when the referee can decide to blow the whistle to end the game.  I prefer the official game clock, rather than the referee's watch.   If this occurs at 93rd minute, and exactly play happened, I don't have that problem but it's past the game clock expiration time is when I have the problem with overall game where the referee is the final authority where it can be rigged at anytime.   But again, this is the full curse of Vancouver sporting scene for years and years and nothing is new.  

7 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I saw it on TV and caught late second half, I haven't watched any soccer game in full for years and I don't even care about soccer, even for Canadian Soccer Championship to qualify for Championship League for North America and I must laugh at that occurring because all I know is that the clock can be rigged to give one last possession a shot when it's 94 minutes and TFC didn't even have any possession until the goalkeeper handled the ball.   The referee must blow that down regardless.  This is exactly the reason why I am not a fan of soccer or European Football when the referee can decide to blow the whistle to end the game.  I prefer the official game clock, rather than the referee's watch.   If this occurs at 93rd minute, and exactly play happened, I don't have that problem but it's past the game clock expiration time is when I have the problem with overall game where the referee is the final authority where it can be rigged at anytime.   But again, this is the full curse of Vancouver sporting scene for years and years and nothing is new.  

It's just Fisher being Fisher. He actually wasted 30 seconds of added time himself by marching over to book a player on the Whitecaps' bench :lol:

57 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Classic rip job. The ref lets the play go on past +4.  Plenty chance to call the game when the ball was at midfield.  Whether it's the Canucks or the Caps. Gotta beat the refs as well as the opposition when playing an eastern team. 

Honestly, that's how it works. The side ref could signal for 4min injury time and then someone goes down with an injury so play stops for a couple minutes. They still have to account for the time that player was down again so it's added on. If they didn't, then teams would create these kinds of stoppages and other time wasters to close out a game they're winning.

The only thing to blame here is the breakdown between Ousted and Waston in what looked like a simple play for the keeper to come out and grab. He holds onto that and gives his team a bit of time to get up field, then they can clear it, maybe handle it for a few seconds, then the ref blows the whistle.

There you go, no wonder Ousted was so upset to end it. Waston blew it and got in his keeper's way.

Edited by elvis15

25 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Honestly, that's how it works. The side ref could signal for 4min injury time and then someone goes down with an injury so play stops for a couple minutes. They still have to account for the time that player was down again so it's added on. If they didn't, then teams would create these kinds of stoppages and other time wasters to close out a game they're winning.

The only thing to blame here is the breakdown between Ousted and Waston in what looked like a simple play for the keeper to come out and grab. He holds onto that and gives his team a bit of time to get up field, then they can clear it, maybe handle it for a few seconds, then the ref blows the whistle.

There you go, no wonder Ousted was so upset to end it. Waston blew it and got in his keeper's way.

Waston blew it and Harvey tried to be a hero. Needed to make a save and take the red card. Lots of ways to put Giovinco off his penalty. Not to mention he'd have to take it after the Will Johnson injury delay. 

The Waston/Ousted screw up ultimately cost the Cup, but I just knew that missing all of those chances to go up 3-nil were going to come back and haunt the club. The only 'Cap forward who put anything on his shot while one on one with the 'keeper, was the 15 year old kid.

Said it before and I'll say it again: This team badly needs a finisher.

.....maybe they should move Parker up. That was the way to finish.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Said it before and I'll say it again: This team badly needs a finisher.

The story since they messed up with Camilo. Another cursed Vancouver team. 

Here's another problem......DEFENCE. 

Whose idea was it in the 'Caps organization to trade Steven Beitashour? The club has done a 180 in goals against. Last season, 'Caps conceded 36 goals all of last season, which is only three more than they've conceded in 19 games this season. If the issue came down to money, it's not surprising, based on the way this miserly organization operates.

The trading of Gershon Koffe was another huge mistake. 

Getting very fed up with a cheap ownership group and an incompetent management team, which includes the likes of so-called "Mr. Soccer" Bob Lenarduzzi, that's been dragging the once-storied Whitecaps brand through the mud of mediocrity. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Here's another problem......DEFENCE. 

Whose idea was it in the 'Caps organization to trade Steven Beitashour? The club has done a 180 in goals against. Last season, 'Caps conceded 36 goals all of last season, which is only three more than they've conceded in 19 games this season. If the issue came down to money, it's not surprising, based on the way this miserly organization operates.

The trading of Gershon Koffe was another huge mistake. 

Getting very fed up with a cheap ownership group and an incompetent management team, which includes the likes of so-called "Mr. Soccer" Bob Lenarduzzi, that's been dragging the once-storied Whitecaps brand through the mud of mediocrity. 

have agree whole heartedly with you..bunch of penny pinchers pulling the strings..save money ..thats their battle cry..no big name for us..we will build through trades and the draft..yeah sure...while everyyone else improves and spends for those name players..Im beginning to think Lenarduzzi is one of the reasons...and yes..why did they get rid of Beitashour?

They have got all this money now for getting rid of Rivero and a few others...wheres the striker and defender that we need.

Edited by ShakyWalton
  • Upvote 1

Don't expect any real upgrade in season Shaky. I think we'll have to wait until the off-season...again. 

Quite honestly, I've tired of the Caps and the way this team is run. I expected another step forward this season only to witness another step back. 

It's quite obvious, and it's been openly stated by Lenarduzzi et al, that this team's business model is to develop players through the academy or to get young players with potential from abroad in order to develop then sell them down the line. It's not necessarily about winning now but more about being competitive. As long as BC Place continues to sell out, there's little upside for ownership to increase the budget.

Look, they're number 10 out of 20 teams on total team payroll, including designated players, and if you look at the teams above them, it's clear that spending millions more doesn't necessarily guarantee championships. I get that. My problem with this team is not the lack of a name player, but more the lack of certain types of players and quality depth throughout the lineup.

Why do we continue to go out and spend significant money on unproven players? What did Robbo see in Kudo? His career stats are not great yet we pencil him in as a striker hoping to improve? 

I'm just frustrated as a fan right now and unfortunately don't see a light at the end of the tunnel with this ownership and management group.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

Don't expect any real upgrade in season Shaky. I think we'll have to wait until the off-season...again. 

Quite honestly, I've tired of the Caps and the way this team is run. I expected another step forward this season only to witness another step back. 

It's quite obvious, and it's been openly stated by Lenarduzzi et al, that this team's business model is to develop players through the academy or to get young players with potential from abroad in order to develop then sell them down the line. It's not necessarily about winning now but more about being competitive. As long as BC Place continues to sell out, there's little upside for ownership to increase the budget.

Look, they're number 10 out of 20 teams on total team payroll, including designated players, and if you look at the teams above them, it's clear that spending millions more doesn't necessarily guarantee championships. I get that. My problem with this team is not the lack of a name player, but more the lack of certain types of players and quality depth throughout the lineup.

Why do we continue to go out and spend significant money on unproven players? What did Robbo see in Kudo? His career stats are not great yet we pencil him in as a striker hoping to improve? 

I'm just frustrated as a fan right now and unfortunately don't see a light at the end of the tunnel with this ownership and management group.

agree,,,dont get me wrong..the big name im crying about would have to be reasonable and proven....Im just really tired of these bargain basement signings.

I used to love the old Whitecaps and 86ers...Im finding it harder and harder to watch this team...

Edited by ShakyWalton
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, canucks3322 said:

Solid signings today brining in two Canadians in Edgar and De Jong strengthens our defence with Adukeubg will be reportedly be loaned in England, but we still need to sign a striker.

Interviews with the players and more details can be found at the Caps' website, here for de Jong:

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2016/07/11/whitecaps-fc-sign-canadian-international-defender-marcel-de-jong

and here for Edgar

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2016/07/11/whitecaps-fc-sign-canadian-international-defender-david-edgar

After weeks of rumours about mutual interest between club and player, Enrique Esqueda (Liga MX striker and Mexican international) is now in Vancouver and believed to be meeting with the Caps.

This might be our Rivero replacement (hopefully with better success).

Maybe not the big name DP striker people have been hoping for but still would be quite a nice addition (if it happens).

Kinda surprised by this. I'd written him off recently as I really thought he was headed to Spain.

But Esqueda has been retweeting Whitecaps stuff for months so his arrival now in Vancouver (plus all the rumours ) seems to suggest something is imminent.

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

After weeks of rumours about mutual interest between club and player, Enrique Esqueda (Liga MX striker and Mexican international) is now in Vancouver and believed to be meeting with the Caps.

This might be our Rivero replacement (hopefully with better success).

Maybe not the big name DP striker people have been hoping for but still would be quite a nice addition (if it happens).

Kinda surprised by this. I'd written him off recently as I really thought he was headed to Spain.

But Esqueda has been retweeting Whitecaps stuff for months so his arrival now in Vancouver (plus all the rumours ) seems to suggest something is imminent.

Don't know anything about this guy. Is he any good?

Latin American. Check.

Small at  5'9". Check.

Ten goals in his last 36 games (all on loan with three different teams) so scored less than the guy he's replacing.  Check.

Seems like a typical Whitecap signing to me. 

:-o 

• Upvote 1