The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

Those are unbelievably bad. I can't imagine dishing out money for that. 

Is it just me or are the 'Caps very similiar to the Canucks? Poor drafting, trying to build from the back, picking up two-way, high-work ethic projects, no big moves or signings, low-event gameplay...

As if the snowcapped mountains and the blue waves isn't enough to represent Vancouver, they decided to add rain. 

Could have been worse.... they could have used squares with dollar signs representing expensive houses or change the colour scheme to grey to match No-fun-couver. 

For the love of God, let this be true:

Former Seattle Sounders forward Fredy Montero is close to returning to Major League Soccer, multiple league sources confirmed to ESPN FC, with the Vancouver Whitecaps primed to capture the Colombian's signature.

Colombian outlet El Heraldo earlier reported the news on Montero, who currently plays for Tianjin Teda in the Chinese Super League. The Whitecaps deal would be for an initial one-year loan with an option to buy, sources said.

Because Montero was officially transferred out of MLS in 2014, he is subject to the league's allocation order. One source indicated that Vancouver had a deal in place to obtain the top spot via a trade with Minnesota United, though what the Whitecaps would part with in terms of assets is unknown at this point.

Montero, 29, is well known to MLS fans after spending four seasons with the Sounders from 2009-12, scoring 60 goals in 160 league, playoff, and cup appearances.

In 2013, Montero returned to his native Colombia for a solitary season on loan with Millonarios, before spending parts of three seasons with Portuguese side Sporting, where he scored 37 goals in 94 league and cup appearances. Montero was on loan initially, but was officially transferred to Sporting in early 2014.

Fredy Montero spent four years with the Seattle Sounders before leaving MLS.

It was just over a year ago that Montero then made a big money move to Tianjin, with his transfer fee reportedly €5 million. In his one season with Tianjin, Montero scored nine goals in 30 league and cup appearances.

At the international level, Montero has made four appearances for Colombia without scoring a goal.

Acquiring a center-forward has been a huge priority for Vancouver this offseason. Octavio Rivero was sold to Chilean side Colo Colo in the middle of last season, and Blas Perez returned to his native Panama at the conclusion of the campaign.

Vancouver's pursuit of Montero comes as the Chinese Super League has increased restrictions on foreign players. The CSL used to allow teams to sign five foreigners, with one of those having to come from a country within the Asian confederation. Teams could field three foreigners plus the Asian foreign player.

Now teams can field just three foreigners at one time, regardless of where they hail from.

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-soccer/story/3059918/vancouver-whitecaps-near-deal-to-sign-ex-sounders-forward-fredy-montero-sources

24 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

For sure.  Still just a rumor but if it happens, the Caps will have redeemed themselves in my view. 

Exactly the type of striker we need. Knows the league so is comfortable with the travel and turf.

Oh, and he's a scoring machine. 

54 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

If the Whitecaps get him over here, this would be a check mark on one of their needs after a disappointing offseason so far. Montero also knows what it takes to score and win in the MLS so if they pull it off, this would be a pretty impressive signing. Best signing probably since Camilo

Edited by Beary Sweet

Yeah, the Fredy Montero rumours have been percolating for a while now but with multiple sources emerging over the past couple days, it's looking like a high likelihood it could really happen.

And the Atiba Hutchinson rumours still continue to smoulder out there (although those odds of that actually happening are much longer).

Still one can dream. ;) 

Would need to probably move Barnes to make the money work, but that would be the makings of a pretty strong lineup and create some real excitement for the coming season.

Nonetheless, Montero should be a great addition (assuming the rumours pan out).

Adding Atiba as well would be phenomenal.

Also, in other news/rumour, Liga MX striker Enrique Esqueda (who came to Vancouver for a trial last year) remains very interested in joining VWFC, at least according to his Southsiders Forum friend/contact (who apparently spoke to him this week). The guy really loves Vancouver and still wants to be a Whitecap. He's not a DP quality player by any means but still could be useful depth (especially if Barnes gets shipped out).

48 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, the Fredy Montero rumours have been percolating for a while now but with multiple sources emerging over the past couple days, it's looking like a high likelihood it could really happen.

And the Atiba Hutchinson rumours still continue to smoulder out there (although those odds of that actually happening are much longer).

Still one can dream. ;) 

Would need to probably move Barnes to make the money work, but that would be the makings of a pretty strong lineup and create some real excitement for the coming season.

Nonetheless, Montero should be a great addition (assuming the rumours pan out).

Adding Atiba as well would be phenomenal.

Also, in other news/rumour, Liga MX striker Enrique Esqueda (who came to Vancouver for a trial last year) remains very interested in joining VWFC, at least according to his Southsiders Forum friend/contact (who apparently spoke to him this week). The guy really loves Vancouver and still wants to be a Whitecap. He's not a DP quality player by any means but still could be useful depth (especially if Barnes gets shipped out).

didnt the caps have Atiba Hutchinson once...he didnt work out then...why now?

My bad..on checking he didnt play for us..I could of swore he was here once.

Edited by ShakyWalton

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

didnt the caps have Atiba Hutchinson once...he didnt work out then...why now?

My bad..on checking he didnt play for us..I could of swore he was here once.

That was Atiba Harris.

Defender/midfield (and occasional striker IIRC--basically a utility guy that can play pretty much anywhere) from St. Kitts. Was a Whitecap for two seasons (and played a handful of games for the squad in 2011 and 2012). Now plays for Dallas.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That was Atiba Harris.

Defender/midfield (and occasional striker IIRC--basically a utility guy that can play pretty much anywhere) from St. Kitts. Was a Whitecap for two seasons (and played a handful of games for the squad in 2011 and 2012). Now plays for Dallas.

thats right..now I remember...thanks

26 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

thats right..now I remember...thanks

No problem. Harris is a fine enough MLS player, but Hutchinson is a "whole nutha level" of footballer.

Atiba Hutchinson has been named the Canadian Player of the Year in 2010, 2012, and from 2014 through 2016. He's a Canadian NT midfielder. Plays for Beşiktaş (the #22 club in Europe according to UEFA coefficients), a championship winning side in the Turkish Süper Lig.

He's rumoured to be interested in coming over to MLS, with Vancouver being linked as a possible destination (and recent changes re: the league subsidizing allocation monies for Canadian players joining Canadian squads certainly adds to the intrigue).

He's a quality player from a high level league (Turkish league is around 11th best pro league in Europe). 

Also has been a standout performer in recent UEFA Champions League play, so he's a high class player.

Not an attacking midfield type but a central defensive midfielder. He's getting older so he's not necessarily the box-to-box "dynamo" type he one was, but he's more than enough quality to be a DP level MLS player that could dramatically improve the squad in the middle of the pitch.

EDIT: to be clear, nothing firmer than rumours and chatter on Hutchinson and VWFC and likely a bit of a pipe dream (at least at this point)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

No problem. Harris is a fine enough MLS player, but Hutchinson is a "whole nutha level" of footballer.

Atiba Hutchinson has been named the Canadian Player of the Year in 2010, 2012, and from 2014 through 2016. He's a Canadian NT midfielder. Plays for Beşiktaş (the #22 club in Europe according to UEFA coefficients), a championship winning side in the Turkish Süper Lig.

He's rumoured to be interested in coming over to MLS, with Vancouver being linked as a possible destination (and recent changes re: the league subsidizing allocation monies for Canadian players joining Canadian squads certainly adds to the intrigue).

He's a quality player from a high level league (Turkish league is around 11th best pro league in Europe). 

Also has been a standout performer in recent UEFA Champions League play, so he's a high class player.

Not an attacking midfield type but a central defensive midfielder. He's getting older so he's not necessarily the box-to-box "dynamo" type he one was, but he's more than enough quality to be a DP level MLS player that could dramatically improve the squad in the middle of the pitch.

EDIT: to be clear, nothing firmer than rumours and chatter on Hutchinson and VWFC and likely a bit of a pipe dream (at least at this point)

The guy plays in the 11th ranked Euro league, and he's going to make us better?  How about we sign a striker from the number one ranked Euro league?  I remember when we had King Kevin Hector and Trevor the magic sponge Wymark.  These guys could friggin score.  We need an ELITE striker.  (How about Rooney?)

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The guy plays in the 11th ranked Euro league, and he's going to make us better?  How about we sign a striker from the number one ranked Euro league?  I remember when we had King Kevin Hector and Trevor the magic sponge Wymark.  These guys could friggin score.  We need an ELITE striker.  (How about Rooney?)

Oh Alf....

47a3bb10cc6090693c5a18654ff57a5a.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

Thanks for confirming Sid.

Great news all around. Hope we can sign Atiba.

Good job Robbo, I'm officially excited about this season now.

Montero not officially confirmed yet. But still looking to me like it will go that way.

Slightly conflicting reports today. One with Fredy's agent saying it's a done deal with Vancouver (see my earlier post). The other with Fredy's father saying Vancouver is the frontrunner but Orlando is also in the mix.

Hopefully we get the official word soon.

Also, rumours continue that VWFC might also be in on USMNT/Bundesliga striker Aron Jóhannsson. Apparently we're one of the three MLS clubs battling for his services: http://www.eightysixforever.com/2017/2/14/14613792/beyond-the-lens-rumours-everywhere