The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Damn. I'd like to see that.

I saw the Caps once against Man City. It was at Empire Field, what a venue....outside, mountains in the background. Just awesome. 

I wish we had a permanent outdoor stadium for the caps, BC Place can feel too big at times, I’d prefer a smaller stadium for MLS.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Mj2345 said:

I wish we had a permanent outdoor stadium for the caps, BC Place can feel too big at times, I’d prefer a smaller stadium for MLS.

I think they were going to build on down near the train tracks close to gastown.

Would have been sweet. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Mj2345 said:

The MLS All Star Game is on Wednesday July 19th(Arsenal vs MLS) and I dont think it’s even on any of the major networks, looks like it may only be on AppleTV…

After this weekend's games and the All Star game on Wednesday, MLS shuts down for a month so the Leagues Cup Competition can take place.

Some good news:  according to TSN's schedule, at least the first Whitecaps game (against Leon) in this competition will be televised on TSN on July 21.

https://www.tsn.ca/2021-mls-schedule-canadian-teams-1.1614016

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mj2345 said:

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I think they were going to build on down near the train tracks close to gastown.

Would have been sweet. 

IIRC, the proposed stadium was shut down in the early 2000s by assorted NIMBYS in the Gastown area....despite heavy public support.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

IIRC, the proposed stadium was shut down in the early 2000s by assorted NIMBYS in the Gastown area....despite heavy public support.

Ports Canada had the killing blow.

Something about dangerous goods having to travel under the stadium, by rail, to it's destination.

And as you say Gas town was freaked out about it. Which is bizarre if you have retail in that area. 

"What, thousands of extra potential customers twice a week?  No thanks"

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The down side of a 3-nil lead....players can't help but be sloppy AF....<_<

After getting the 3-0 lead and LA losing a man, the Caps figured they had it wrapped up and went into cruise control.  And that just about bit them.

It was almost as if Vancouver felt it would be somehow upsporting to pad the score.  They need to develop their killer instinct.  Just keep pouring it on.  Because, in all probability, that's what the other team would do to them.

Having said that, they did win. 

10 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

After getting the 3-0 lead and LA losing a man, the Caps figured they had it wrapped up and went into cruise control.  And that just about bit them.

It was almost as if Vancouver felt it would be somehow upsporting to pad the score.  They need to develop their killer instinct.  Just keep pouring it on.  Because, in all probability, that's what the other team would do to them.

Having said that, they did win. 

Yeah, a win is a win....but that 2nd half was embarrassing. :wacko:

Disappointing that Gauld couldn't complete the hatty as well.....

• Cheers 1

2-0 at half time.  Jesus and Trossard.  Both nice goals.

MANY Arsenal jersies in the crowd.

Speaking of jersies, the fluorescent lime-green away jersies that Arsenal is wearing this season take a bit of getting used to.  But they are cool looking.

Not a bad game to watch.  Given that this is only Arsenal's second or third outing and you have a bunch of good MLS players who have never played with each other before.

On to the second half.

• Cheers 2

5-0 final.  Second half goals from Jorginho on a penalty kick, Martinelli and Havertz.

There were unlimited substitutions in the game so it was almost two different teams for each side at the end of the game from the ones that started the game.

The second half was scrambly.

Declan Rice made his Arsenal debut in the second half.  Didn't do anything extraordinary but was present.  Arsenal bought his rights for about U$135 million dollars.  It occurred to me that you could buy the MLS All-Star starting eleven players for less.  Soccer finances are weird.  And it's a good thing Arsenal won.

Saka (with two assists) was voted player of the game.

Attendence:  20,621, most of whom seemed to be cheering for Arsenal.

38 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

5-0 final.  Second half goals from Jorginho on a penalty kick, Martinelli and Havertz.

There were unlimited substitutions in the game so it was almost two different teams for each side at the end of the game from the ones that started the game.

The second half was scrambly.

Declan Rice made his Arsenal debut in the second half.  Didn't do anything extraordinary but was present.  Arsenal bought his rights for about U$135 million dollars.  It occurred to me that you could buy the MLS All-Star starting eleven players for less.  Soccer finances are weird.  And it's a good thing Arsenal won.

Saka (with two assists) was voted player of the game.

Attendence:  20,621, most of whom seemed to be cheering for Arsenal.

I saw that Arsenal is 2 - 0 along with ManU vs MLS All-Stars.

The European clubs the All-Stars beat were:
Spurs (2015)
Bayern (2014)
West Ham (2008)

Celtic (2007)

Chelsea (2006, 2012)

Fulham (2005)

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds

On 7/15/2023 at 6:35 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

I’m going to assume that stands for “Not in my backyard”.

Those people are annoying. Same people who want those with mental illness off the streets but they don’t want a mental health facility in “their backyard “. 

• Cheers 2

And while I'm talking about the Leagues Cup - Miami plays Cruz Azul in their first game in the tournament on Friday at 5:00.  It's anticipated that Messi will make his debut in this game.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the game will only be available on Apple+.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Of course.

Messi comes on at around the 55 minute mark.  He makes a few nice passes.  And then scores the winning goal in the last seconds of extra time off a free kick. :o

Miami 2 Cruz Azul 1

He made it look so easy lol.

Leon 2 Vancouver 2 (Leon wins 16:15(!!!) on penalty kicks)

That's a tough loss for Vancouver after a penalty kick marathon.  They needed the win.  Their second and last game in the group stage is against the LA Galaxy in LA.  Given the Whitecaps poor road record that game is probably going to end in a loss.  And just like that, the Whitecaps will be out of the competition and will sit around for the next several weeks waiting for the MLS season to restart.

On a positive note, I'm beginning to change my opinion of Cordova.