The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

KInd of happy that it's over....

Now I can get back to not watching the Whitecaps, because they're on Apple TV....

It's actually too bad that it wasn't on network tv.  I found the League's Cup tournament to be quite entertaining.  I think it could have raised interest in MLS had it been available to more people.  

• Cheers 3

20 hours ago, allegend said:

It was a tough loss for the Caps at home this evening. The team controlled play,

but couldn't finish, losing 1-0 to San Jose.

And where have we heard that before?    :sadno:

(They should have won that game by at least two goals.)

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Didn't like the fact that the 'Caps let Portland back into the game, after having a pair of 2 goal leads, but a win is a win, especially on the road.

I've been one of Tristan Blackmon's biggest critics this season, so it was gratifying to see him start the first two Vancouver goals....one with his head and the other with his foot...

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Dear Toronto FC,

F U for stealing Herdman from the National Team.

Great timing with the World Cup around the corner…

After all they built he’s jumping ship now?!

Another reason to hate Toronto. 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That's the worst part. He's built a team that not only can make the World Cup, but we might "gasp!" win a game.

I don't blame Herdman, if they are offering more money he has to jump at the chance. Especially if it leads to a head coaching gig.

But that just hurts our chances so much.

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

Maybe this will be a wake up call for Canada Soccer. (I doubt it, but maybe)

They've been lowballing the program (on both the men's and Women's sides) and expecting people to just go along. They shouldn't be surprised when someone jumps ship.....

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

On 8/28/2023 at 11:58 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Dear Toronto FC,

F U for stealing Herdman from the National Team.

On 8/28/2023 at 12:12 PM, DeNiro said:

On 8/28/2023 at 12:18 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

That's the worst part. He's built a team that not only can make the World Cup, but we might "gasp!" win a game.

I don't blame Herdman, if they are offering more money he has to jump at the chance. Especially if it leads to a head coaching gig.

But that just hurts our chances so much.

On 8/28/2023 at 12:56 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Maybe this will be a wake up call for Canada Soccer. (I doubt it, but maybe)

They've been lowballing the program (on both the men's and Women's sides) and expecting people to just go along. They shouldn't be surprised when someone jumps ship.....

As stated above, I'm surprised the rest of you follow Canadian soccer and have no idea what is happening with the federation right now.  Canada Soccer is in absolute shambles.  Do you guys know just how bad the state of things are?  It's a complete disaster.

The men still haven't been paid for the World Cup.  The men's team was the only team not to unveil new jersey designs for the tournament.  This upcoming international window, every country will have matches except for Canada because they couldn't fund it.  The women have had their own problems, being treated like a sideshow and nearly went on strike before their World Cup.

There's a lot of blame to go around, including Herdman.  He's a great manager and put Canada on the map by modernizing the team, but he spent money Canada Soccer didn't have, and now they're completely out of cash.  Massive budget cuts have been announced, and so it's highly likely the state of soccer in Canada takes some ugly steps backward.  Whoever takes over for Herdman (I'm hearing Phil Neville - wtf), they are going to be walking into a total shitshow.

Toronto didn't offer Herdman money.  They offered him team money so he could do what he wanted without financial concerns. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/we-re-not-serious-inside-john-herdman-s-decision-to-leave-canada-soccer-for-toronto/article_554c959c-51b3-5cfb-8daf-ed0b6f678af1.amp.html

6 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

As stated above, I'm surprised the rest of you follow Canadian soccer and have no idea what is happening with the federation right now.  Canada Soccer is in absolute shambles.  Do you guys know just how bad the state of things are?  It's a complete disaster.

The men still haven't been paid for the World Cup.  The men's team was the only team not to unveil new jersey designs for the tournament.  This upcoming international window, every country will have matches except for Canada because they couldn't fund it.  The women have had their own problems, being treated like a sideshow and nearly went on strike before their World Cup.

There's a lot of blame to go around, including Herdman.  He's a great manager and put Canada on the map by modernizing the team, but he spent money Canada Soccer didn't have, and now they're completely out of cash.  Massive budget cuts have been announced, and so it's highly likely the state of soccer in Canada takes some ugly steps backward.  Whoever takes over for Herdman (I'm hearing Phil Neville - wtf), they are going to be walking into a total shitshow.

Toronto didn't offer Herdman money.  They offered him team money so he could do what he wanted without financial concerns. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/we-re-not-serious-inside-john-herdman-s-decision-to-leave-canada-soccer-for-toronto/article_554c959c-51b3-5cfb-8daf-ed0b6f678af1.amp.html

I obviously don't follow it as closely as you Bob, but my (albeit limited) understanding of the situation is that they signed a lousy sponsorship deal with some entity called Canadian Soccer Business....

I thought there was a deal with CIBC in there somewhere as well, but I don't know much about it. It certainly doesn't seem to be making much of a difference.

Personally, with the World cup on the horizon, I think we need something like the "Own the Podium" initiative like we had before the 2010 Olympics.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I obviously don't follow it as closely as you Bob, but my (albeit limited) understanding of the situation is that they signed a lousy sponsorship deal with some entity called Canadian Soccer Business....

I thought there was a deal with CIBC in there somewhere as well, but I don't know much about it. It certainly doesn't seem to be making much of a difference.

Personally, with the World cup on the horizon, I think we need something like the "Own the Podium" initiative like we had before the 2010 Olympics.

Given the state of our economy right now, I doubt the government will help out.  Soccer is an immigrant's sport - it wouldn't be a politically popular move for any government to spend cash on it.

As for the CSB deal... nobody is going to have a complete understanding of that one.  Herdman's vision came with massive bill and the CSA needed money.  As lousy as it was, it was probably necessary.  This is a serious oversimplification here, but I feel like Canadian soccer had a sudden explosion on the international stage (both men/women) and now it's going through some major growing pains.

In any case, Toronto FC didn't do anything wrong.  They have money and Canada Soccer does not.

• Cheers 1