The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

Finding it increasingly harder to cheer against the Gooners in any match they play. Ozil, Wenger, Sanchez, Giroud, and Cazorla are some of my favourite football people. I think this team may be the one.

But then again, I did say that about Chelsea (in 2006 because of Robben, Ballack, and Shevchenko lol) and Newcastle (2012 season was magical for them - classic bandwagon trap :lol: )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty thankful I found an unbreakable bond for the Canucks, despite so many years of perpetual letdowns.

Finding it increasingly harder to cheer against the Gooners in any match they play. Ozil, Wenger, Sanchez, Giroud, and Cazorla are some of my favourite football people. I think this team may be the one.

But then again, I did say that about Chelsea (in 2006 because of Robben, Ballack, and Shevchenko lol) and Newcastle (2012 season was magical for them - classic bandwagon trap :lol: )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty thankful I found an unbreakable bond for the Canucks, despite so many years of perpetual letdowns.

you missed the docking call with arsenal, and the ship has been sinking for a while now. but i still watch them sometimes. it's hard not to respect arsenal -- since they played such attractive, seamless football for years and years. but since then? it's been nothing but mix ups, injuries, and mediocre purchases. oh, and loads and loads of excuses from Wenger when his philosophy and dumb purchases fall through.

how long is Wenger going to get a free pass? he took a once-in-a-generation lineup to a few titles in the early 2000s, but since then he's purchased a whole load of dead weight off some great teams and created a sort of frankenstein's monster called "Pretty Good"

in a way Arsenal is sorta like the canucks. a good team afraid of making big moves to become great. a lot of nostalgia for the recent 'good ol days' and very expensive ticket prices.

• Upvote 1

Lets get down to business, to defeat the Huns...

'Mon the Hoops.

Deciphering this was a bit of a puzzle, but I got it.

you missed the docking call with arsenal, and the ship has been sinking for a while now. but i still watch them sometimes. it's hard not to respect arsenal -- since they played such attractive, seamless football for years and years. but since then? it's been nothing but mix ups, injuries, and mediocre purchases. oh, and loads and loads of excuses from Wenger when his philosophy and dumb purchases fall through.

how long is Wenger going to get a free pass? he took a once-in-a-generation lineup to a few titles in the early 2000s, but since then he's purchased a whole load of dead weight off some great teams and created a sort of frankenstein's monster called "Pretty Good"

in a way Arsenal is sorta like the canucks. a good team afraid of making big moves to become great. a lot of nostalgia for the recent 'good ol days' and very expensive ticket prices.

Wenger should have been fired a long time ago. I would have been at wit's end as an Arsenal fan at the turn of decade. Small runs that somehow save his job, but set up for more of the same in the following year. This run they're on is nice, but if it saves his job, it will be detrimental in the long run.

He's always going half in, and while his shrewd moves aren't bad, they're never enough.

Maybe I'm just using FIFA 15 logic but upon joining Madrid and until now, I've never seen Ozil be a guy to beat guys off a run or use his speed to open space and create. He's always had this deep-lying, patient, wait-for-you-to-make-a-mistake playmaker mentality with him to ply his trade, which has made him so revered in the first place. Seems mind-boggling to everyone but Wenger. Oh well, as long as he can perform now that he's healthy, it's probably irrelevant, even more so with Sanchez putting on a show.

But agree on Wenger, unfortunately. Historically, his ability to find young players for cheap and develop them into stars made me admire his work and the culture he set up. (see Anelka, Vieira, RVP, Henry, Cesc and to a lesser extent, guys like Song, Sagna. I'm probably missing a whole other lot of guys from the 90s/early 00s but I think you get my point)

But the game has changed now. Big spenders will buy guys early, loan them out for 3-4 years, and wait for them to break into the first team. Inability to meet status quo for Arsenal has put them where they are now. They've made big steps with the Ozil and Sanchez signings but they've come on the heels of other mediocre young player signings like Arshavin(well apart from 09), Park Chu Young, Gervinho, Vela, Eduardo, Bendtner, etc.

I'm a big Wenger supporter and hope he can find a way to rejuvenate his approach to creating a good squad and increasing the longevity of his legacy. But, in hindsight, it wouldn't have been a bad move to replace him a few years back and bring somebody new into the fold to challenge for number 1 in the league and win the CL instead of toil around and hope a young player develops and takes over the league in the same vein as Henry, Bale, Suarez, etc.

the Arshavin signing made sense, though. he was one of the biggest names in europe after his fantastic performance after the 08 Euros. Arsenal beat out Chelsea, Barcelona, etc. for him. it was only a bad signing in hindsight.

Podolski, on the other hand, is a mystery to me. How or why top clubs keep giving this guy a chance is beyond me.

apparently willian is a bit injured, so we might see juan on saturday.

hopefully williian's okay, and cuadrado is a second half sub.

Wouldn't mind seeing Cuadrado come in for Ivanovic, he has played as a fullback in his career I believe

Ivanovic was probably the worst player on the pitch short of Oscar versus City.

The Top 4 looks pretty set IMO. I think Chelsea has the title this year with Man City and Utd just behind them. I think the Spurs have 4th locked up.

What really worries me as a Utd supporter is that the team has no real system. We play the dreadful 3-5-2/5-3-2 and can not score a goal, but dont have the players for a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2/4-3-3.

My Lineup

De Gea

McNair-Jones-Rojo-Shaw

Blind-Carrick

Januzaj-Rooney-Di Maria

Falcao

What do you guys think is the best line up that united can field.

And City drop points at home vs. Hull. What a day!

Well at least it wasn't all 3, thank James Milner for that. Aguero hit the crossbar on a really nice play not long before that... it could've been a totally different game. I hope that City starts to play with the urgency of the last 15 or so mins of todays game. I know they got it in them they just got to find it. Can't wait til Yaya is back and Bony gets to play for City.

The Top 4 looks pretty set IMO. I think Chelsea has the title this year with Man City and Utd just behind them. I think the Spurs have 4th locked up.

What really worries me as a Utd supporter is that the team has no real system. We play the dreadful 3-5-2/5-3-2 and can not score a goal, but dont have the players for a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2/4-3-3.

My Lineup

De Gea

McNair-Jones-Rojo-Shaw

Blind-Carrick

Januzaj-Rooney-Di Maria

Falcao

What do you guys think is the best line up that united can field.

where's southampton???????? I also wouldn't count out arse and maybe liverpool I also hope west ham could maybe make a run and finish 5th. It's far from over yet.