The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

51 minutes ago, Caboose said:

Didn't you guys spunk like 500 million pounds in the past 3 transfer windows for one champions league group stage exit? I wouldn't be talking about overspending. 

£514 million since AF left. What chance do teams from the smaller leagues stand any more?

58 minutes ago, Caboose said:

Didn't you guys spunk like 500 million pounds in the past 3 transfer windows for one champions league group stage exit? I wouldn't be talking about overspending. 

I never said we haven't overspent. In fact most of our transfers since SAF left, we have grossly overpayed for. 

https://streamable.com/l1xv?t=3.3

...well that would have been out of this world if he could have been signed as well. LVG was still manager at the time which made Sanches not want to come.

Bayern got an excellent player in him.

Edited by TheRussianRocket.

2 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

https://streamable.com/l1xv?t=3.3

...well that would have been out of this world if he could have been signed as well. LVG was still manager at the time which made Sanches not want to come.

Bayern got an excellent player in him.

Oh well we got an upgrade in Pogba and there's no doubt he's better than Sanches. His upsides are his age and potential to be better than Pogba. Nevertheless they both will be among the best midfielders for the next decade

8 hours ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

Stones to City for £47.5M potentially rising to £50M.

City paying big for what seems to be another average defender, but he is young so he might come good.

2nd highest fee for a defender ever.

Pretty big gamble for City and they're obviously banking on him to take leaps in his game at that price tag.

Me thinks he's just another overhyped English wonder player. Would be very surprised if he becomes a world class player but I'd gladly eat my words if that point ever came about. He's taken steps back imho the past 2 years as well not to mention doesn't defend all that well. He is "good with his feet" so maybe that's why Pep targeted him since he likes defenders who can move the ball and should fit well in his system. Kompany will be out for some time so I'd assume Stones struggles initially since he won't have that steadying influence beside him since Mangala/Otamendi are surely not that.

Or maybe it's just the price tag. I mean he is a solid defender but the $ inevitably puts high expectations on him to become something special given the amount paid. Sterling+Stones = £100M...for City's sake, this move better work out better planned than the Sterling one...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Foxes lose to Hull City. I saw a graphic that said it was the first time an EPL title holder had lost the next season's opener. I find that really hard to believe....

It's the truth, it's not hard to believe. The title champion is usually a strong team, who gets an easier opening match. Throw in draws and it's not a shocker. 

Team didn't come out to play in the first 20 minutes of the second half and that's what costed them.  I told my buddies we would tie the game if we scored before the 70th minute.  Only problem is that Liverpool added a 4th before we got our 2nd.

Fully confident we'll look much better when we have most of our first choice guys back next week.

Knows it's just game 1 but was for the most pleased by the performance. 1st half was a bit slow but 2nd half United came out firing.

Fellaini was very exceptional and JM will come to love him. Good tactical option to have in your squad. Rooney was the only average player but he ended up getting a goal. Martial was a bit sloppy but picked it up and will need time to get a hang of being consistent.

That defense however. My God was it spot on. Bailly is a beast unleashed it seems. Man of the match but again, only 1 game. If I recall correctly Darmian was MOTM for last seasons opener and we know how he ended up losing all confidence under LVG as the season went on...but yea, back line was superb. Bailly is definitely a no-nonsense player which we haven't had for years - reminiscent of Vidic. Valencia is looking like he's in the best shape of his life, he and Bailly on that right side will be a nightmare for opposing players. Shaw is back and was solid all around, and Blind was quite the surprise.  Very intelligent player in general and he's always been known to compliment others well and played a heck of a game. Unfortunate circumstance for Smalling being suspended and it'll be tough for him back in me thinks. Blind-Smalling will probably be a partnership committee splitting games/time.

...José definitely knows how to sort a defense out, I'll give him that! It was only Bournesmouth but they beat us last season.

Really liked the mixture of players this game. Bailly-Blind with a balance of aggressive and calm. Herrera was composed and the game slows down for him when he has the ball; sucks he or Schneiderlin will be coming off the bench when Pogba returns since Rooney will be starting inevitably, at least for the time being. Forwards were actually putting pressure and bullying defenders at times. Players were confident and the plays they made were decisive and not halfassed like they've been for the past 3 years. The best away performance in a long long time. Dominant game and I couldn't believe they never let down after giving up the 1st goal...this was LVG, everyone would panic, hang their heads low, and boom goes the dynamite. Can't wait until October comes around...some of the strongest competition will be scheduled then and it'll really be a testament to see if United are top dogs or not.

• Upvote 2