The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NCAA football

Gretzky's Mullet

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/former-grambling-quarterback-coach-doug-williams-slams-school-s-hiring-of-art-briles-i-m-out/ar-AAUjfjR?ocid=msedgntp

Hue Jackson's decision to hire Art Briles as Grambling's offensive coordinator hasn't exactly engendered good will toward the program.

Jackson and his move both have been criticized heavily considering Briles, former head coach at Baylor, was deemed by the NCAA to have ignored reports of players committing sexual assault from 2011 through his firing in May 2016.

Now, one of Grambling's most notable alumni and supporters has blasted the move as well.

MORE: Why did Grambling State hire Art Briles? Former Baylor coach reunites with Hue Jackson

Doug Williams, a four-year starter and former head coach at Grambling State, said he can no longer support the program as long as Briles is associated with it.

"I’m very, very disappointed in Grambling, I really am," Williams told The Washington Post after Briles' hiring. "I talked to (athletic director Trayveon Scott) a couple times. They knew where I stood, but they did it and if that’s what they want to do, that’s fine. I’m out.

"Oh, no. I can’t (support) that," Williams said. "If I support them, I condone it.”

MORE: Eric Bieniemy coaching rumors: Coach staying with Chiefs as offensive coordinator

Williams' condemnation of Briles' hiring is a significant blow to Jackson and the program. Williams, who played under Hall of Fame coach Eddie Robinson from 1974 to 1977, led the Tigers to a 36–7 record and three SWAC championships while twice earning Black College Player of the Year honors and finishing fourth in the 1977 Heisman Trophy voting. He is a 2001 inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Williams, the No. 17 overall pick in the 1978 NFL Draft, later went on to become the first Black quarterback to start and win the Super Bowl, a feat he achieved during Washington's 42-10 win over the Broncos in Super Bowl 22. He later succeeded Robinson as Grambling's coach, a position he took in 1998.

Williams led the program from 1998 to 2003 and again from 2011 to 2013. He led the Tigers to a 65-39 record and four SWAC championships and the 2001 Black college championship as a coach.

MORE: Kyler Murray, Cardinals "copacetic" after QB's social media saga, per report

Scott, confirming the hire to ESPN in a Thursday interview, said he supported Jackson's decision to hire Briles after a 10-day investigation into Briles' past.

"I'm rooted in fact," Scott told ESPN's Pete Thamel. "I know a lot of things are said and done. We felt it (was appropriate) to give him a chance to really redeem himself after understanding where the facts lie.

"I think the guy just wants to coach and lead men," Scott said. "We're not talking about a perfect situation or devaluing things done in the past and how it has affected people. He's sympathetic and empathetic about what went on."

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Forgettable college FB season for me....my Sooners finished under .500 (for the first time I can remember in ages) after losing the "Cheez-It" Bowl to Florida State....

.....and then today, I see this:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/ncaafb/cfb-world-reacts-to-nc-state-announcer-s-horrific-comments/ar-AA15Pka8?cvid=de72a28684ba4aad8ae6cce1b43b3e8c

The 2022 Duke’s Mayo Bowl was a fun event full of light-hearted fun and festivities. They included a guy in the crowd chugging mayonnaiseESPN announcers pigging out on deviled eggs, and Maryland’s head coach Mike Locksley getting doused in mayo after his Terps defeated NC State. However, up in the Wolfpack radio booth, play-by-play announcer Gary Hahn was randomly injecting a dark reference into a score update that quickly got him suspended.

Hahn was providing a score update from the Sun Bowl in El Paso when he decided to add some Fox News-esque commentary on the situation.

“One other bowl game involving an ACC team going on, that’s the Sun Bowl,” said Hahn. “And amongst all the illegal aliens down in El Paso, it’s UCLA 14 and Pittsburgh 6.”

Hahn was presumably referencing the recent surge of migrants who crossed the Rio Grande, causing overcrowding at Border Patrol facilities and shelters in El Paso. While the framing of “illegal aliens” is an alarmist term meant to sow distrust and paint them as unwelcome criminals, an El Paso government website says “the people crossing come from all parts of the world to escape economic devastation and extreme crime.”

As an employee of Learfield Communications, which owns the rights to NC State broadcasts, they were the ones to announce that Hahn has been suspended indefinitely after the game.

“Learfield has suspended Wolfpack Sports Network play-by-play announcer Gary Hahn from his agreement indefinitely following comments made during today’s Duke’s Mayo Bowl radio broadcast,” Wolfpack Sports Properties general manager Kyle Winchester said in a statement that was relayed by the school to the News & Observer.

While we wait to find out if Hahn will lose his job over the unnecessary commentary or what he might have to say following the suspension, the college football world had some strong reactions to his disturbing phrasing.

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Forgettable college FB season for me....my Sooners finished under .500 (for the first time I can remember in ages) after losing the "Cheez-It" Bowl to Florida State....

.....and then today, I see this:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/ncaafb/cfb-world-reacts-to-nc-state-announcer-s-horrific-comments/ar-AA15Pka8?cvid=de72a28684ba4aad8ae6cce1b43b3e8c

Blame Riley taking so many guys with him.  Hopefully Venables sticks around there; he's a hell of a defensive mind and it's pretty impressive how well he did manage to do without having his own guys there.

Regarding the commentator, that's got to be grounds for immediate termination; there is simply no excusing that garbage.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Even though they're a division rival, I'm jumping on the TCU bandwagon for this game. Nothing against the Bulldogs (other than being based in GA) but how can you not cheer for a team called the Horned Frogs?

I just like seeing the SEC lose due to the superiority complex,  Seems unlikely we'll get our wish right now though.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I just like seeing the SEC lose due to the superiority complex,  Seems unlikely we'll get our wish right now though.

Experts on ESPN radio last night saying TCU has pretty much no chance to win.  They are just lesser in talent at almost every position.  Size, speed, skill, and talent difference is just too big to overcome.  Sounded like this could be a blowout. 

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah, this has the makings of a blowout....

I doubt anything will change, until the NCAA institutes some recruiting rules to level the playing field....

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, this has the makings of a blowout....

I doubt anything will change, until the NCAA institutes some recruiting rules to level the playing field....

Yeah, the transfer portal and NIL have changed things too much the other way.  We're very rapidly losing a lot of what made the sport great.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Experts on ESPN radio last night saying TCU has pretty much no chance to win.  They are just lesser in talent at almost every position.  Size, speed, skill, and talent difference is just too big to overcome.  Sounded like this could be a blowout. 

It appears as though the experts on ESPN knew what they were talking about.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...