The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian Talk

Bilbro Baggins

I love the kid but hes only 22, and he isnt developing his hockey IQ playing only 10 mins. I say send him down again and let him play over 15 mins a night. Get that flow again. I believe he will develop alot better than playing on a third line with only 9 mins a game.

Realistically the Canucks already screwed up his development. He should have been in the AHL when we traded him. Now instead of developing into a scoring players he's got all these other things to worry about like being physical and a good 2 way player.

Should have focused on his offensive talents before working on D. His offensive potential now is stunted and I don't have much patient or confidence in him anymore.

Plus the diet and training regime he's on making him less effective at puck control. Stupid Canucks management.... Why make a power forward lean and skinny? He gets knocked off puck so easily now and never cycles the puck along the boards well.

I love the kid but hes only 22, and he isnt developing his hockey IQ playing only 10 mins. I say send him down again and let him play over 15 mins a night. Get that flow again. I believe he will develop alot better than playing on a third line with only 9 mins a game.

I think he has played to many games to be sent down without waivers. IMO he is far closer to breaking

out than fans think. Hoping that Torts continues to increase the TOI for the 3rd & 4th lines. Kassian

is showing his talent inconsistently and I hope his being with the Canucks will teach him what it takes to be a pro. His issues appear to be his mental approach more than his ice skills. Tort's 'carrot &

stick' approach is probably best.

According to a quick run of capgeek's waivers calculator, Kassian is currently waivers exempt (and can play 23 more NHL games before his status changes). Maybe someone else can confirm (or run the numbers and see if I goofed)? Here's the link: http://www.capgeek.c...=120&Calculate=

I'm wondering if the best thing would be to send him down for a while when Burrows and Schroeder come back from their injuries?

I think that the twins need Burr back and the 2nd line is playing too well for it to get broken up. So the top-six should be:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Kesler-Santorelli

As for the bottom-six, I think that Schroeder needs to be played with Hansen (they have excellent chemistry) in an attempt to get Hansen's offense going and to give Schroeder his best opportunity. From the start of the season, I've been hoping to see Booth-Schroeder-Hansen given a shot together (good mix on paper and Schroeder has some excellent possession/events WOWYs with Booth). Plus, with Booth looking to have finally gotten healthy and found his game again, he needs to keep getting top-nine minutes.

That leaves the fourth line. IMHO, Richardson and Weise need to be locks for two of the three spots (both are putting up great numbers with limited opportunities: Richardson is 0.40 points/game and Weise is 0.36 points/game and #1 on the Canucks in points/60).

Kassian could take the remaining spot but I wonder if that's really the best place for him?

He might really benefit from some big minutes with Utica and then a recall for the stretch drive and the playoffs (hopefully).

Welsh and Dalpe are playing pretty well now and are capable of alternating as the #12 and #13 forwards (each can slot in to give the fourth line a different look: Welsh for more size/grit and Dalpe for more scoring upside).

Even with Torts finally giving the fourth line some minutes (at least for the last two games), I'm not sure if Kassian's best served playing nine minutes per game (if he's lucky--and 4-5 minutes per game if things go back to how they were) in a 4th liner role.

And even if Schroeder doesn't get a middle-six spot in the lineup, I don't think Kassian has done enough to earn a spot ahead of any one of Burrows, Hansen, Booth (especially if his recent play is sustained), or Richardson. As things stand, it looks like Kassian will be stuck on the fourth line if he stays with the big club (once everyone is healthy).

Also, maybe a demotion can provide a wake-up call and Kassian will work his butt off to make the most of the increased playing time an AHL stint would afford him?

At the very least, it certainly wouldn't hurt the Comets to add a player like Kass to their lineup.

EDIT: forgot about Sestito. His two-year deal suggests he's in the organization's long(ish) term plans so he'll likely stay (and not risk losing on waivers). So that means that Welsh might go down too (if they run with 13 forwards) because Dalpe needs to clear waivers.

According to a quick run of capgeek's waivers calculator, Kassian is currently waivers exempt (and can play 23 more NHL games before his status changes). Maybe someone else can confirm (or run the numbers and see if I goofed)? Here's the link: http://www.capgeek.c...=120&Calculate=

I'm wondering if the best thing would be to send him down for a while when Burrows and Schroeder come back from their injuries?

I think that the twins need Burr back and the 2nd line is playing too well for it to get broken up. So the top-six should be:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Kesler-Santorelli

As for the bottom-six, I think that Schroeder needs to be played with Hansen (they have excellent chemistry) in an attempt to get Hansen's offense going and to give Schroeder his best opportunity. From the start of the season, I've been hoping to see Booth-Schroeder-Hansen given a shot together (good mix on paper and Schroeder has some excellent possession/events WOWYs with Booth). Plus, with Booth looking to have finally gotten healthy and found his game again, he needs to keep getting top-nine minutes.

That leaves the fourth line. IMHO, Richardson and Weise need to be locks for two of the three spots (both are putting up great numbers with limited opportunities: Richardson is 0.40 points/game and Weise is 0.36 points/game and #1 on the Canucks in points/60).

Kassian could take the remaining spot but I wonder if that's really the best place for him?

He might really benefit from some big minutes with Utica and then a recall for the stretch drive and the playoffs (hopefully).

Welsh and Dalpe are playing pretty well now and are capable of alternating as the #12 and #13 forwards (each can slot in to give the fourth line a different look: Welsh for more size/grit and Dalpe for more scoring upside).

Even with Torts finally giving the fourth line some minutes (at least for the last two games), I'm not sure if Kassian's best served playing nine minutes per game (if he's lucky--and 4-5 minutes per game if things go back to how they were) in a 4th liner role.

And even if Schroeder doesn't get a middle-six spot in the lineup, I don't think Kassian has done enough to earn a spot ahead of any one of Burrows, Hansen, Booth (especially if his recent play is sustained), or Richardson. As things stand, it looks like Kassian will be stuck on the fourth line if he stays with the big club (once everyone is healthy).

Also, maybe a demotion can provide a wake-up call and Kassian will work his butt off to make the most of the increased playing time an AHL stint would afford him?

At the very least, it certainly wouldn't hurt the Comets to add a player like Kass to their lineup.

EDIT: forgot about Sestito. His two-year deal suggests he's in the organization's long(ish) term plans so he'll likely stay (and not risk losing on waivers). So that means that Welsh might go down too (if they run with 13 forwards) because Dalpe needs to clear waivers.

I don't think Kassian's performance requires a 'wakeup call'. It appears to me that his game has

depended to much on his offensive abilities and his size. Torts has demanded accountability and has a

vision on what Kassian's game has to be. IMHO Kassian's d-zone game is improving. His physical play goes go 'junior' in some instances as he gets carried away with the moment as in the Oiler game. His

potential truly does surface on occasion and he can be a dominant player. Consistancy is his biggest

challenge. He will be a top 6 player!

Sending him down is a big question mark. Torts has to give more minutes to his 3rd &

4th lines and it is likely injuries will come into the equation. I agree that 5 minutes of TOI for Kassian is no good. Spending time with NHL pros and practicing with them isimportant to his mental approach to the game. It always appears to me that Kassian is like a sponge in that way. He talks the talk and I hope that it translates on the ice. The last thing he needs to be is a hero in Utica it might set him back.

I don't think Kassian's performance requires a 'wakeup call'. It appears to me that his game has

depended to much on his offensive abilities and his size. Torts has demanded accountability and has a

vision on what Kassian's game has to be. IMHO Kassian's d-zone game is improving. His physical play goes go 'junior' in some instances as he gets carried away with the moment as in the Oiler game. His

potential truly does surface on occasion and he can be a dominant player. Consistancy is his biggest

challenge. He will be a top 6 player!

Sending him down is a big question mark. Torts has to give more minutes to his 3rd &

4th lines and it is likely injuries will come into the equation. I agree that 5 minutes of TOI for Kassian is no good. Spending time with NHL pros and practicing with them isimportant to his mental approach to the game. It always appears to me that Kassian is like a sponge in that way. He talks the talk and I hope that it translates on the ice. The last thing he needs to be is a hero in Utica it might set him back.

It is a bit of a quandary as to what to do with Kassian and that could only take on further complications when the injured players start returning to the lineup.

It would help if Kass could start really clicking with Richardson and Booth and if the next series of games saw him play well consistently. If he continues the pattern of having a couple good games and then looking lost for the next three or four, then I could see him drop down the lineup rather quickly.

My hope is that he plays well enough, and consistently enough, that his work on the ice demands his inclusion in the top-nine.

My worry is that he becomes a #12/13 forward on this team (speaking only for this season--I really believe that he'll be a solid NHLer eventually and I haven't given-up on him being a big part of the Canucks' top-six).

I agree that injuries often tend to solve these issues and that there's a good chance that someone will get hurt before the numbers force the Canucks to look for possible demotions.

And I didn't mean to say that Kassian necessarily needs a demotion. I agree that Torts can probably accomplish more for Kassian's development by keeping him in Vancouver than would happen if he's demoted for an AHL stint.

It's mostly a case of what to do if we get to the point where Kassian is playing on the 4th line and he's not even the most effective player on that unit most nights (which could easily happen if he's playing with Richardson and Weise--as those two are playing extremely well, even with limited opportunities). At what point does it become the better option to demote him?

I'd agree that Kassian probably doesn't require a "wakeup call," so to speak, as he's already had quite a few this season and Torts has taken him on as a project and gives him a lot of attention. It's more a case that, should numbers require that forwards get demoted, if Kassian finds himself playing in Utica, I hope he can use the situation to his best advantage (like you, I also worry that an AHL demotion might set him back--but I'm also not sure if a potential scenario where he's alternating between playing 5 minutes a night and being a healthy scratch--basically being a #12/13 forward--is a better option, even if it allows him to continue to practice and travel with the NHL team).

And given how tight and competitive the forward roster might become if everyone gets healthy, Kassian's waiver status (as well as his game-to-game inconsistency and his failure, at least to-date, to really take things by the horns and earn a top-nine spot) might mean that he finds himself the odd man out and gets demoted until he's either needed again (for injury relief) or his play with the Comets earns him a recall.

It's hard to say what's best and even harder to predict what's going to happen. At the start of the season, I had high hopes for Kassian earning a top-six assignment and becoming a big part of this team night in and night out. At the same time, I also said that I wouldn't be surprised if he found himself playing in Utica for a portion of the regular season. As things stand today, not much has changed for me.

That all said, I have noticed improvement with Kassian this season and I'm hopeful that he can avoid many of the outcomes I've suggested here.

Everything is in Kassian's control right now and how he plays will determine where he plays.

It is a bit of a quandary as to what to do with Kassian and that could only take on further complications when the injured players start returning to the lineup.

It would help if Kass could start really clicking with Richardson and Booth and if the next series of games saw him play well consistently. If he continues the pattern of having a couple good games and then looking lost for the next three or four, then I could see him drop down the lineup rather quickly.

My hope is that he plays well enough, and consistently enough, that his work on the ice demands his inclusion in the top-nine.

My worry is that he becomes a #12/13 forward on this team (speaking only for this season--I really believe that he'll be a solid NHLer eventually and I haven't given-up on him being a big part of the Canucks' top-six).

I agree that injuries often tend to solve these issues and that there's a good chance that someone will get hurt before the numbers force the Canucks to look for possible demotions.

And I didn't mean to say that Kassian necessarily needs a demotion. I agree that Torts can probably accomplish more for Kassian's development by keeping him in Vancouver than would happen if he's demoted for an AHL stint.

It's mostly a case of what to do if we get to the point where Kassian is playing on the 4th line and he's not even the most effective player on that unit most nights (which could easily happen if he's playing with Richardson and Weise--as those two are playing extremely well, even with limited opportunities). At what point does it become the better option to demote him?

I'd agree that Kassian probably doesn't require a "wakeup call," so to speak, as he's already had quite a few this season and Torts has taken him on as a project and gives him a lot of attention. It's more a case that, should numbers require that forwards get demoted, if Kassian finds himself playing in Utica, I hope he can use the situation to his best advantage (like you, I also worry that an AHL demotion might set him back--but I'm also not sure if a potential scenario where he's alternating between playing 5 minutes a night and being a healthy scratch--basically being a #12/13 forward--is a better option, even if it allows him to continue to practice and travel with the NHL team).

And given how tight and competitive the forward roster might become if everyone gets healthy, Kassian's waiver status (as well as his game-to-game inconsistency and his failure, at least to-date, to really take things by the horns and earn a top-nine spot) might mean that he finds himself the odd man out and gets demoted until he's either needed again (for injury relief) or his play with the Comets earns him a recall.

It's hard to say what's best and even harder to predict what's going to happen. At the start of the season, I had high hopes for Kassian earning a top-six assignment and becoming a big part of this team night in and night out. At the same time, I also said that I wouldn't be surprised if he found himself playing in Utica for a portion of the regular season. As things stand today, not much has changed for me.

That all said, I have noticed improvement with Kassian this season and I'm hopeful that he can avoid many of the outcomes I've suggested here.

Everything is in Kassian's control right now and how he plays will determine where he plays.

he's on pace for a 15 goal season playing somewhere between 3rd and 4th line mins. Why would you send him down? There's nothing wrong with his performance.

he's on pace for a 15 goal season playing somewhere between 3rd and 4th line mins. Why would you send him down? There's nothing wrong with his performance.

inconsistant is the operative word. he's looked great the last couple games and in the home stand has been pretty good. being promoted back to the third line with richardson and booth seems to have sparked him some. if he continues to finish his checks and go hard to the net, he'll get another contract.

Good posts, Sid. I think Kassian is in the right situation at the moment: 3rd line with Booth and Richardson seems to suit him. His passing gives the line some offensive flair, and the tempo that Booth and Richardson maintain helps Kassian keep his feet moving. He needs to be on a line that emphasizes skating and physical play, and is defensively responsible: this one fits the bill. He will become more consistent if he is consistently deployed with these guys. He can learn on the job, but not if there are too many variables every night. At this stage, he needs to develop good habits, so a bit of stability is called for.

Good posts, Sid. I think Kassian is in the right situation at the moment: 3rd line with Booth and Richardson seems to suit him. His passing gives the line some offensive flair, and the tempo that Booth and Richardson maintain helps Kassian keep his feet moving. He needs to be on a line that emphasizes skating and physical play, and is defensively responsible: this one fits the bill. He will become more consistent if he is consistently deployed with these guys. He can learn on the job, but not if there are too many variables every night. At this stage, he needs to develop good habits, so a bit of stability is called for.

good post. richardson hasn't had a bad game all year, just as steady as they come. i hadn't thought about it really but it makes sense; booth's skating got better and all of a sudden i'm not noticing kassian for all the wrong reasons. booth and kass have always seemed to play well together and i think richardson brings a culture of working your arse off every shift, and its rubbing off on the other two.

Archived