The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

AV will gladly give Rome PP time, but when it comes to this guy, sorry.

This guy was a guaranteed lock to sign here, they better not let this one slip up.

AV is really starting to piss me off.

Whats next, {Brodeur to Florida}?

Can you imagine?

It's funny -- the one thing I've been thinking today is exactly what you just said: the end of his Entry level deal...they can't afford him, no chance if they don't move other significant pieces. So you knowingly walk into a situation where you have no guarantee you'll be there long time. That'd concern me.

Come on, from what I've seen you post in the past you're usually much smarter than this. Both are still likely friends with Lowe. Lowe was reported to be in Toronto to meet Shultz. It's a common practice for teams to recruit by using former stars to say something positive about the organization. And quite frankly for a player that can't be negotiated with, since his contract will be the same anywhere he signs, you have to use whatever you can; guaranteed ice, franchise prestige, city locations...

The only thing surprising is how people have reacted to something that's rather common (and not desperate as everyone wants to make themselves feel better by saying).

I actually like the fact that the Oilers are getting all these extra people to try and sell Schultz on Edmonton... It means they think they can't get him and need some re-enforcements... Vancouver seemed like it only needed it's first attack =)

If Shultz believes in his abilities as a player he shouldn't be worried about the Canucks guaranteeing him a roster spot. As long as he is told he will be given every oppurtunity to prove himself why would he be worried. He knows we need someone to play along side edler if he watches Canucks games. I think he is pushing it and loosing respect with this whole "guarantee me a roster spot" statement.

roll out all the b.s. you want Edmonton - guarantee ice-time, listen to our traded ex-stars, etc... the reality is that Schultz will have to earn his spot wherever he goes - if he goes to Edmonton and doesn't live up to expectations, do you think they'll honour some ice-time guarantee? at that point they wouldn't care that much what he thinks and what leverage would he have...the best option is the truth (so don't blame AV if he didn't lie and say 'you got it kid, whatever you want') - we think you will guarantee yourself the ice time by being the player we believe you are - this is not a patronage appointment - it is the NHL and you are the real deal, you won't need guarantees - the only real guarantee can be provided by yourself. If he still comes here, we know the young man has character and wants to be here Welcome to Vancouver!

Interesting, Edmonton is going all out. Hopefully Canucks do as well. In case Gillis hasn't noticed, he is lacking any sort of depth on the right side (long term) other than Tanev. This type of opportunity doesn't come around very often. Organizations need to be flexible to accommodate new situations.

'Commonplace' or not, ex-players from a 20yr old era have absolutely NO insight on what would be in store for a current pending UFA.

You'd think that the assembled 'old boys club' in Edmonton featured enough ancient-era Oilers to make it work, if that's all it took. (It's not.)

TOML

Archived