The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Jordan Staal Unhappy In Pittsburgh

On what planet is Jordan Staal, with one year left on his deal before becoming a UFA and leaving or demanding big bucks, worth more than Ryan Kesler, locked up at 5 mil for three more years?

Heck, on what planet is Staal worth more than Kesler period?

I'd take Staal over Kesler. Staal is years younger, bigger, less egotistical, knows how to play with others, competes as hard as Kesler and has put up 25 goals the last 4 seasons, and he hasn't already peaked. Our centers are too small, Staal gives us that presence. I'm a little tired of Keslers ego, selfishness and injury proneness during the last four playoff runs. If he can't stay healthy when we need him, why bother?

I'd take Staal over Kesler.  Staal is years younger, bigger, less egotistical, knows how to play with others, competes as hard as Kesler and has put up 25 goals the last 4 seasons, and he hasn't already peaked.  Our centers are too small, Staal gives us that presence.  I'm a little tired of Keslers ego, selfishness and injury proneness during the last four playoff runs.  If he can't stay healthy when we need him, why bother?

Then, add in the last factor - Staal wants to leave a proven winner so he can make more money - even though he already makes 4.5, and would likely get a raise from the Penguins again. Kesler is locked in at 5, and is happy doing so. But obviously, Ryan is the selfish one, huh?

He signed a contract to play behind them a few years ago. He could just play it out and leave UFA. But with one year left on his deal, it's pretty obvious that he wants to go somewhere that will give him more opportunity to put up big numbers so that he can cash in July 1st, 2013.

I'm not blaming the guy - just pointing out that saying he's some sort of unselfish saint compared to Kesler is ridiculous.

I don't think people were commenting on that type of selfishness,  Staal passes and Kesler doesn't, that's the selfishness we were talking about.  Kesler plays to make himself look better than making his line mates play better

Staal has 115 assists in the last five seasons combined. Kesler has 158.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to get Jordan Staal on this team. If we could somehow get him and move Kesler to his wing, I'd be ecstatic. But all this talk of Staal actually being better than Kesler, and being worth trading Ryan, is complete bull.

Staal has 115 assists in the last five seasons combined. Kesler has 158.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to get Jordan Staal on this team. If we could somehow get him and move Kesler to his wing, I'd be ecstatic. But all this talk of Staal actually being better than Kesler, and being worth trading Ryan, is complete bull.

On what planet is Jordan Staal, with one year left on his deal before becoming a UFA and leaving or demanding big bucks, worth more than Ryan Kesler, locked up at 5 mil for three more years?

Heck, on what planet is Staal worth more than Kesler period?

Then, add in the last factor - Staal wants to leave a proven winner so he can make more money - even though he already makes 4.5, and would likely get a raise from the Penguins again. Kesler is locked in at 5, and is happy doing so. But obviously, Ryan is the selfish one, huh?

Archived