The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Western Conference 2Nd Round

cmpunk

With the Hawks down 4-0, with time winding down they are on their way out of the 1st round.

Who would have thought the Canucks, Hawks, Wings, and Sharks would all be out in the 1st round!!

And the Kings, Blues, Preds, and Coyotes will be the final 4 in the 2nd round....

All the underdogs/unexpected teams are moving on. Wierd to think that out of those 4 teams, one of them is going to the SCF!

Thoughts...

I am cheering hard for the Panthers and have gotten pretty invested in them and the Caps....

Then what if Sens and Caps eliminate the Rangers and Bruins!!

If Philly is the last top team standing from both conferences, almost certain the cup goes to Philly

NSH is the best team in the West. Them beating the Wings is no fluke. They have 2 of the best Dmen in the league and a great goalie. With the additions they made towards the end of the season including Radulov, the Preds are the fav to get out of the West IMO.

With the Hawks down 4-0, with time winding down they are on their way out of the 1st round.

Who would have thought the Canucks, Hawks, Wings, and Sharks would all be out in the 1st round!!

And the Kings, Blues, Preds, and Coyotes will be the final 4 in the 2nd round....

All the underdogs/unexpected teams are moving on. Wierd to think that out of those 4 teams, one of them is going to the SCF!

Thoughts...

I'm rooting for a Phoenix/Florida Stanley Cup.

No one anywhere will watch and then maybe the NHL will look seriously at changing the culture of the NHL.

I'm tired of all these Goalies stealing series. They aren't stealing series because they are great. They are stealing series because their equipment is still huge and they block 7/8 of the net without even moving.

Make the Nets bigger so the portion of the net the goalies cover is more like it was back before the 90's.

Changing the net size alone will solve all the problems the NHL has right now. Trapping teams won't succeed.

Really if you think about the fact that the nets are the same size they always have been even though the Goalies and their pads are both way bigger really is silly.

Thoughts...

Cannot wait for 6,8 250 lb goalkeeper to set league record with 25 shutouts and .980 save percentage.

The nhl is currently experiencing a goaltender dominance like never seen before. Big athletic keepers with massive lightweight equipment leave shooters nothing to shoot at. 6'4" Ken Dryden had holes all over to shoot at and 33" high pads.Now 6'2" keepers are using 38" high pads that when butterflying remove the only weapon for shooters on the ice the five hole.

Cannot find any literature to back up my theory but if there was 35% net to shoot at in Roy's era i bet there is a reduction of close to 5 or 6 % the same as the increase in save percentage today. Used to be Pat Roy dominated with a .900 save percent. Now he would be laughed out of the league. Seems odd when you think the players are more skilled and have graphite sticks and new rules for offense.

Defensively disciplined teams are dominating currently over the speed transition team that MG built. I'm sure Pitt, Chi, Det, and SJ are feeling our pain. Not to mention the Canadian teams that ethically chose to go after the same models to appease the demands of there fans.

I for one hope changes to this years CBA will restore this imbalance so creative offensive players can be rewarded for the risks they take not punished.

Archived