The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are The Canucks: Re-Building Or Adding Parts

6string

We need a game changer and another big forward who can produce. I think the playoffs AND the regular season has shown that.

Even if Kesler and Burrows get their form back we still lack a Parise augmented with a Landeskog or Backes type of player.

While I like both Booth and Higgins I don't think they are playoff players nor do they have enough to their game and far too patchy for me.

We have no real size coming through (Jensen would need a lot of bulking up and I see he has just picked up a concussion in the Wolves) Schroeder looks to have the right credentials but is on the small side for the 1st or 2nd line impact we need.

We also need a big skilled but rugged D. I don't think he has to have a lot of offence because our main need is a safe guy who clears out the trash and makes anywhere in front of our goalie a forwards nightmare.

We need a game changer and another big forward who can produce. I think the playoffs AND the regular season has shown that.

Even if Kesler and Burrows get their form back we still lack a Parise augmented with a Landeskog or Backes type of player.

While I like both Booth and Higgins I don't think they are playoff players nor do they have enough to their game and far too patchy for me.

We have no real size coming through (Jensen would need a lot of bulking up and I see he has just picked up a concussion in the Wolves) Schroeder looks to have the right credentials but is on the small side for the 1st or 2nd line impact we need.

We also need a big skilled but rugged D. I don't think he has to have a lot of offence because our main need is a safe guy who clears out the trash and makes anywhere in front of our goalie a forwards nightmare.

Its a challenge! The problem is, Kesler aside, our top end talent does not win physical match ups. And Kesler wins physical match ups, but is not good enough at the talent game of puck control to dominate games. So he also needs a talent boost on his line (we got a physical boost with Booth, but a talent withdrawal in comparison to Samuelsson).

So you have to find complimentary talent to play with Edler, the Sedins, Kesler...

It will take careful scouting to match each D pair and forward line with the right balance.

with the trade winds swirling around the rumored roberto luongo deal, i find myself confused by what reporters and fans like us are asking for in return. some are looking to youth and others are seeking immediate needs to bolster our core.

aside from the luongo deal, names like booth, ballard and raymond are often mentioned in deals too and surprisingly kesler as well. again, the player demands in return are mixed and incoherent, this is what i think...

the luongo deal is a salary dump and no reflection on his abilities, i expect to yield little in return, no big names coming this way. a kelser deal would be a blockbuster but they would be crazy to move him, as for the others ballard, booth and raymond they may get futures or parts to compliment the bottom 6 forwards.

where do we stand on this fans, add parts to a strong line-up or shake it up to be stronger in the next 2-3 years?

If we trade Luongo we might as well trade the rest of our core and rebuild. Schneider is not going to hit his prime in the next season, and he'll probably just reach his peak years as the rest of the Canuck's core start to decline like the Sedins, Kesler, Hamhuis and Bieksa.

Question is tweaking or restructuring, not rebuilding. Philly restructured and it seems to work out so far. Washington and sharks all tweaked with status quo results. Detroit tweaked but also had Yankee money before the cap.

I would be in favour of restructuring.

with the trade winds swirling around the rumored roberto luongo deal, i find myself confused by what reporters and fans like us are asking for in return. some are looking to youth and others are seeking immediate needs to bolster our core.

aside from the luongo deal, names like booth, ballard and raymond are often mentioned in deals too and surprisingly kesler as well. again, the player demands in return are mixed and incoherent, this is what i think...

the luongo deal is a salary dump and no reflection on his abilities, i expect to yield little in return, no big names coming this way. a kelser deal would be a blockbuster but they would be crazy to move him, as for the others ballard, booth and raymond they may get futures or parts to compliment the bottom 6 forwards.

where do we stand on this fans, add parts to a strong line-up or shake it up to be stronger in the next 2-3 years?

I think we need to also consider the injuries D.Sedin and Kesler were trying to recover from. Daniel just got back from a concussion (possibly rushed), and Kesler didn't have a training camp (if I remember correctly). Who knows what the Canucks could have accomplished had they been healthy. Gillis will have to evaluate the likelihood of another run next season considering two of his top 3-5 players are healthy.

But in the event of retooling/rebuilding, who would the Canucks trade, and for who?

One thing I've noticed in the Canucks through the 90s and 2000s is the complacency, the "we doing OK." 42 years in the league without a Stanley Cup is not "doing OK". First of all, the complacency from management down to the players has to stop. By complacency, I mean the excuses of "We had a good season. We were recovering from injuries. I think we're making a step in the right direction." If you don't win a Stanley Cup, your season is a FAILURE! In this league, every season, there are 29 failures and 1 winner. The attitude that "you can slide if you're having an off-day" needs to die. The management needs to exude the "Our players are here to win; if you aren't going to give it 100% and come to play every day, then don't come here. Our goal is the Stanley Cup!"

From what I've seen so far, the players have tuned out Vigneault, it's easy to see regardless of what drivel they try to pass off in the post-game interviews.

42 years without a Stanley Cup is long enough. There has to be a change in the mentality of the organization - second best is not good enough. Only hoisting the coveted mug at the end of the season is enough. From what I can see, this core doesn't have what it takes right now without a good rethink of what they're playing for. I'm not saying that they need to "blow up the team". I'm just saying that the players in the organization need to rethink and reset. Come out to play every game 100%, no matter what strain, no matter what hampering you're under. That mental fortitude is what this organization has long been lacking.

There is no guarantee Lu is gone. There will not be many takers for his lengthy contract. Despite what we have heard reported in the media, there is no guarantee Lu wants out, or the Canucks want him gone. A lot of what we have been hearing is media hooey. It's what keeps them employed.

I suspect that unless Lu goes, there will be no substantial change to this team come next season. On the other hand, if Lu goes, the deck of cards will lkely fold, and a number of trades will occur.

And, I can't see the reasoning for all the Kes-love. The guy did little other than yap and dive all season, with promises at season's end that he will be a true hero next year. Give me a break. If the guy didn't bring professionalism this year, why do we believe he will do anything substantial next year. Better for his career (and he does have amazing talent), and the Canucks wellbeing, that he takes a change of scenery.

But, all in all, I just don't see a wholesale rebuilding on this team. Lu will be here next year, and a few holes plugged. Then, it will be full steam ahead, and those plugged holes will either work out (as they did last year with Torres), or they won't in which case the great ship Vancouver Canucks will founder and take on water yet again in the playoffs next year.

A somewhat pessimistic viewpoint I know, but I jut don't think the Canucks have sufficiently "seen the light" to come to terms with the harsh reality of what it takes to become a real powerhouse team.

Archived