The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Should The Nucks Do About Ballard

TACIC

IF Lidstrom doesn't sign for another season with Det. And that's a big 'If' in my opinion. Then they are going to be looking for D-man that can quarterback a power-play and has good speed and poise with the puck.

Ballard could look like a cheap, and potentially very effective, option. Granted they do have Kyle Quincey and Brendan Smith on the NHL roster, both of whom have decent offensive potential, however neither look to be ready to replace the 34 points and +21 that Lidstrom produced last year while playing almost 24 minutes per game. They also have Logan Pyett in Grand Rapids but again he is years from that kind of NHL production - if he ever gets there. However all three of these internal options look to be shaky at best and Ken Holland is not one to risk rushing a player into the NHL.

Ballard has proven that with top minutes and the right partner he can produce upwards of 35 points. And he would come cheap, Gillis would be out of his mind to ask for anything more than a 3rd liner, 5th-6th dman, or 2nd pick (not together completely separate) and with Tatar ripping up the AHL already they will most likely be looking to make room for him in the top 6.

And who you ask would they ever give us that would help us win now while also hopefully freeing up salary cap room? How about Mr. Todd Bertuzzi?

2.075 million cap hit through 2014

For

4.2 million cap hit through 2015 and we throw in a 5th rounder (probably a 80 point player in 4 yrs the way DET drafts)

Has about the same risk for both sides and no I am not saying Ballard is going to DET to be the next Lidstrom but he would bring a bit more offense from the back end than their current roster minus Liddy.

Bertuzzi would be a great fit back in Van IMO - a natural RW which would help us with that problem of always having someone on the right who is a natural LW, Booth and Higgins looked decent but it was obvious how much better they played when on the left side. Also Bertuzzi would bring a ton more offense and grit than someone like Raymond and would be a great leader in the room and on the ice. Not to mention the fact that Bertuzzi is a heart and soul player who is always the first to step up and defend his teammates.

BIG BERT for BALLARD + 5th rd.

MAKE IT HAPPEN MG!

cheers

post-84425-0-28704500-1336531740_thumb.j

IF Lidstrom doesn't sign for another season with Det. And that's a big 'If' in my opinion. Then they are going to be looking for D-man that can quarterback a power-play and has good speed and poise with the puck.

Ballard could look like a cheap, and potentially very effective, option. Granted they do have Kyle Quincey and Brendan Smith on the NHL roster, both of whom have decent offensive potential, however neither look to be ready to replace the 34 points and +21 that Lidstrom produced last year while playing almost 24 minutes per game. They also have Logan Pyett in Grand Rapids but again he is years from that kind of NHL production - if he ever gets there. However all three of these internal options look to be shaky at best and Ken Holland is not one to risk rushing a player into the NHL.

Ballard has proven that with top minutes and the right partner he can produce upwards of 35 points. And he would come cheap, Gillis would be out of his mind to ask for anything more than a 3rd liner, 5th-6th dman, or 2nd pick (not together completely separate) and with Tatar ripping up the AHL already they will most likely be looking to make room for him in the top 6.

And who you ask would they ever give us that would help us win now while also hopefully freeing up salary cap room? How about Mr. Todd Bertuzzi?

2.075 million cap hit through 2014

For

4.2 million cap hit through 2015 and we throw in a 5th rounder (probably a 80 point player in 4 yrs the way DET drafts)

Has about the same risk for both sides and no I am not saying Ballard is going to DET to be the next Lidstrom but he would bring a bit more offense from the back end than their current roster minus Liddy.

Bertuzzi would be a great fit back in Van IMO - a natural RW which would help us with that problem of always having someone on the right who is a natural LW, Booth and Higgins looked decent but it was obvious how much better they played when on the left side. Also Bertuzzi would bring a ton more offense and grit than someone like Raymond and would be a great leader in the room and on the ice. Not to mention the fact that Bertuzzi is a heart and soul player who is always the first to step up and defend his teammates.

BIG BERT for BALLARD + 5th rd.

MAKE IT HAPPEN MG!

cheers

As much as i love Staal, this really isn't what our team needs. Our top 2 lines already have solidified Centers. Trading for a third would only be a repeat of the Hodgson scenario.

And before everyone tells me that its the same situation that he has in pittsburgh: No, it isn't. Crosby and Malkin have both seen injuries that have limited their playing time and increased Staal's.

Crosby GP last 3 years

Malkin GP last 3 years

I think Ballard stays. Salo isn't getting younger but it also depends on what comes available on free agency or trades. For sure we're trading a goaltender so until then why do anything. The pecking order is coaching next and then trading Luongo (probably). Until that's sorted out nothing will happen.

If AV stays and he can manage to trust him fully and play him the minutes I think he's a top 4 guy. I'm not sure if he's 4.2 worthy but what are you going to find that's better? Easy to let guys go, harder to replace them, Ehrhoff is a good example.

No. This team is moving on with Kassian. There's a reason why Todd won't be a Canuck again. The Vancouver Canucks dealt with the baggage of the Moore incident by letting Naslund, Morrison, Bertuzzi, Ohlund, Sopel, Malik, Cloutier, Auld, Allen, etc. leave the team. Nobody wants to live that nightmare again.

In before the lock, hundreds of threads on this, We should be trading a left side D guy;

Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard, Gragnani, Connauton, Sauve = much greater than Bieksa, Salo (?), Tanev, ?, ?, ?

And we need a puck carrying D, some serious size upgrades & depth on the right side.

Whether that's Ballard, or because we cannot get value for him, Edler??? (before his contract value goes up and because he is not the Norris candidate some make him out to be).

keep him he was our best d-man he makes Tanev better and will help Tanev's offense game plus I feel more comfortable with Ballard and Tanev as our third unit then Rome or Alberts, Ballard hasn't been given a fair chance since he got here he's been injured or been in the press box let him play the full season with Tanev next year and see how much damage these two do ...

ballard fetches little in straight up deal, he is best moved in a multi-player deal. yup, he looked against the kings, but like raymond from one game to the next, ya never know what shows up, too inconsistent ...move him!

Biggest problem is that he can only play the left side, and since Edler can't play the right side, there's no chance for him to move up from the third pair.

I think he's more valuable to keep though. The market for free agent d-men is weak and he is a very servicable D-man, even if his salary is about a mil too high.

Archived