The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows Extension - What will it take?

Neversummer

I have to say I am surprised at some of teh low ball numbers here and comments about how we should take advantage (again) of the home town discount.

This guy has been our best "clutch" player. Play hard PK minutes and gives it 100% all the time.

I see so many posts of guys we should be going after that cost $4m, $5m, $6M who have no more to offer than Burrows ans in some cases less.

Ballard, Booth, Pahlsson, Malhotra...these guys all make more than Burrows. Can you actually say any of them is as valuable as Burrows?

Quit screwing this guy over. Pay him what he deserves which I think is at least $4m per year and make it a 5 yr term.

If this team takes advantage of it's loyal and committed guys in order to sign hired guns for more, then this whole "character" thing is just a bunch of BS!

He would be a 20 goal, 40 point scorer without the Sedins.

3 to 4 million, closer to 3 should do fine and with the cap roof going up this shouldn't be a problem. He's getting older so I don't think he'll have many 30 goal seasons left in him at all, but I'd like to see how he performs in a contract year.

20 goal scorers are now signing for 12 mil over 3 seasons.

Burrows should at least get 20-22 mil over the next 5 years. With what he's sacrificed and brought to this team and it's fans he deserves no less.

He took a hair-cut the first time around and it's unfortunate to think he should be scalped again so we can bring in the David Booth's and pay them more.

20 goal scorers are now signing for 12 mil over 3 seasons.

Burrows should at least get 20-22 mil over the next 5 years. With what he's sacrificed and brought to this team and it's fans he deserves no less.

He took a hair-cut the first time around and it's unfortunate to think he should be scalped again so we can bring in the David Booth's and pay them more.

He's not a young pup anymore. I dont want him for 5 years.

Heck I'd wait until next summer and see if perry and Getzlaf re-sign. I'd rather spend our money on Getzlaf perry and weber before burrows. Especially if Kassian can develop next season.

If Gillis screws this up and doesn't sign Burrows to an appropriate contract then I am done supporting Gillis. Burrows is the heart and soul of the Canucks. He comes up big when it matters the most and despite what other teams think, he is a class act. Players like Burrows are near impossible to find. You need players like Burrows to win.

5 years @ $22.5 million

$4.5 million per.

What's the going rate these days for 30 goal scorers and what if he doesn't re-sign and becomes a UFA next season. You'd certainly have more money to spend if he doesn't but are you sure you can obtain Getzlaf, Perry and Weber or for that matter - any of them.

Like I said, he took a major pay cut once, I don't think he should do it again.

30 goal scorers don't come cheap and 4 mil per season is more than reasonable.

Burr is such a great team guy and has done so much for this franchise. He loves the team and the city and is one of the best, if not the best, bargains in the league. I'm sure many people would be okay with giving him 4 million a year, myself included. He definitely deserves it.

Archived