The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sheldon Souray rejects offer from the Stars

He probably wants to go somewhere else. There's no reason for him to turn down a $3 million dollar deal, and there aren't many teams who will gamble with a multi-year deal.

Maybe he would rather sign somewhere for potentially cheaper that he thinks he has a shot at a cup?

I'd take him in a heartbeat, but for not much more than 3 million. I'd happily do 4 if we found a way to get rid of Ballard.

Souray is EXACTLY what this team needs - a big, physical shutdown defenceman with a mean streak who can help our PP and most importantly, he's a veteran leader on the blueline which is what our young guys like Bieksa, Edler and Tanev need. These 3 were our worst defenders in the playoffs because we only have 1 true veteran leader in Sami Salo.

Look at L.A - Mitchell and Greene's effect on Doughty, Voynov and Martinec is the most underated reason their defence lead them to the Cup. Defence wins championships, we need to fix ours and Souray is just what we need.

Souray is locker room cancer we dont need a goof like this on our team. Has never played a full season (twice played 81 games out of 13 seasons)missing over 350 games in his career. Is a career -41. Has done squat in the playoffs. Not the best skating D man either. After his bionic thumb surgery he had 2 career years netting 64pts with MTL and then 53pts with the coilers and has not really done anything since. If it was the old bionic thumb Souray with his bomb from the point them maayyybeee I would consider it.

Souray is locker room cancer we dont need a goof like this on our team. Has never played a full season (twice played 81 games out of 13 seasons)missing over 350 games in his career. Is a career -41. Has done squat in the playoffs. Not the best skating D man either. After his bionic thumb surgery he had 2 career years netting 64pts with MTL and then 53pts with the coilers and has not really done anything since. If it was the old bionic thumb Souray with his bomb from the point them maayyybeee I would consider it.

That's not true. The Rangers scouted him in the minors and they said they wanted to like him but he was capable of playing in the NHL so they didn't make the trade.

...and I wouldn't say he was "jerked around". He bashed the Oilers and requested a trade publically. I'd say that was jerkingh the team around. Tambellini tried to trade him. No one wanted him. They put him on waivers. No one wanted him. They put him on re-entry waivers where any team could have picked him up for half price and not a single team wanted him. They did everything in their power to give him what he wanted...which was a ticket out of Edmonton. He got his wish.

...and I don't know why he thought he was so valuable. In his final season with the Oilers he only managed to play 37 games and he only had 4 goals and 13 points. He was supposed to be a 20 goal/50 point Dman but he was playing at a 9 goal/29 point pace. He also managed to be -19 in those 37 games. He probably would have been close to -40 had he played the entire season.

So lets not act like Souray was the victim. He should have kept his mouth shut, had a bounce back year, regained some trade value and then requested a trade behind closed doors.

For people thinking Souray is being full of himself and rejecting the offer- he will be 36 starting next season. He's looking for an offer to long time offer to retire on. 1 year is not good enough. It's common for 36 year old to want contracts with a couple years on it rather bounce around the league for the next 3-4 years.

You can understand the wish! But see Thomas, Tim > over 35 UFA signee. If he retires or kacks, the full salary counts against the cap. Long term deals with UFA's are cancer much more than attitudes.

Maybe $11 mill for 3 years. $3 mill bonus, $1 mil, $1 mill and $6 mill final term? Nah, could also get injured, and does have a checkered past, not quite ever playing a full season

likely wants a longer term, nothing to do with the price

Souray faded badly as the season wore on. 1 point in his last 10 games and a -9 in those games. He started the season looking like his old self, but couldn't keep it up. In his first 15 games, 4 goals, 9 assists, and a +11. With his injury history, I wouldn't give him 3 million for what he currently brings to the table.

yeah he should realize that few teams are going to give money and years. I doubt few GMs would be interested in having him for two years.

My guess is he just turned down the best offer he is going to get. If he's still got game which the other above poster pointed out is suspect then he should have the confidence to live with a year by year.

I love how people always attribute a player's rejection of a deal to money/term.

You realize these players have to choose where to move their families? Where to live for the next however many years? What arena to play in 41 games out of the year? The coaching staff they have to deal with, the organization, the players?

Maybe Souray didn't like the city, the way the organization treated him or the coaches in place... hmmm?

Archived