The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎13 at 8:43 PM, gurn said:

Lions kicking butt, 5 or 6? sacks so far; welcome back Zach.

A lot closer than it should have been. Why keep Lulay if you only play him on two point plays? He should have been given an opportunity for a drive in the third quarter and let Jennings get a different view. I get that JJ is the number one guy and agree with that choice but from time to time, shake it up a bit.

On 8/4/2016 at 2:32 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

I remember watching Lui in a game several years ago: He started the punting motion but just delayed a second. The guys rushing saw him start the kicking motion and turned around to set up the return. Lui basically just ran forward behind them and easily picked up the first down.

Over the years, I've seen many opportunities for Lions' punters to do the same thing, but none of them have the guts to try.

Lui was in his own class....

Lui was my favorite player growing up. I was born in 85, so I missed a lot of his career. But I do have tapes of the 85 western final and the 85 grey cup. The fake punt and run he did in the 85 grey cup was classic. As a kid, I played flag football against his sons and had the opportunity to get my picture taken with him. At that moment, I realized how awesome the guy was. He was so nice and chill. In 2000, the Lions did a open practice at Coquitlam Town Centre and I had the opportunity to bring that old picture and get him to sign it. It was a great moment. It was awesome to be able to watch him win the 94 and 2000 Grey Cup and relive the 85 cup via VHS. Another great moment was Lui's last game at BC Place against Saskatchewan, they let him do a QB sneak for a TD. To this day, I don't think the ball crossed the plane, but they let him have it. There hasn't really been a player like him since. 

17 hours ago, gurn said:

A lot closer than it should have been. Why keep Lulay if you only play him on two point plays? He should have been given an opportunity for a drive in the third quarter and let Jennings get a different view. I get that JJ is the number one guy and agree with that choice but from time to time, shake it up a bit.

Agreed. Watched the game at home last night on the PVR.  Always get a different view and aspect of the game than sitting in the stands.  Didn't notice it at the game but Jennings didn't complete a pass in the 3rd.

Though I do lie the 1-2 punch that Lulay can provide on the 2 point convert.  Just create Lulay only plays for the 2 point.  Oppositions will have a hard time defending.

I like Jennings and he has a bright future.  Just needs to learn and grow. He's young and we are very lucky to have a player like Lulay to be his mentor.  Wally has a history of finding star QB's.  Looks like he found another. 

Not much to talk about with this game. Pretty much a beat down. Forget it and move on.

I do want to take a bit of time for a rant though and it's directed at the league brass. (Is mark Cohon still the guy?)

One of the things I've always liked about the Canadian game vs. the NFL is that out punt returns are more entertaining. However, the entertainment value goes completely out the window when the zebras are throwing a flag on every single punt return. I understand that there are times when an obvious clip, or hold occurs and it allows the runner to break loose. However, I have seen several good returns nullified this season by borderline infractions, often happening away from the play.

To be clear, I don't blame the refs. They are given their marching orders by people in higher positions. People who could quite easily make it known that they should stop calling these plays so tightly. Call the obvious stuff, but otherwise, let the boys play.

This is a league that struggles to put butts in the seat and people in front of their TVs. Making the game more exciting, rather than less would be a good way to start. As it stands now, I'm more surprised when a flag isn't thrown on a return, rather than when it is.

They played like the Canucks do about 2-3 times a year. Stunk it up.

Getting really tired of TSN/Team radio p and moaning about the attendance. Ratings are up, afaik. Attendance is down a few thousand but tv watchers are up by how much,? and don't forget the TV broadcast fee.  So cut it with the doom and gloom or end up with a self fulfilling prophecy.

Finally- Rupertkbd, you are so right about bs penalties that had nothing to do with the play. Don't call them unless it effects or causes potential injury.

23 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not much to talk about with this game. Pretty much a beat down. Forget it and move on.

I do want to take a bit of time for a rant though and it's directed at the league brass. (Is mark Cohon still the guy?)

One of the things I've always liked about the Canadian game vs. the NFL is that out punt returns are more entertaining. However, the entertainment value goes completely out the window when the zebras are throwing a flag on every single punt return. I understand that there are times when an obvious clip, or hold occurs and it allows the runner to break loose. However, I have seen several good returns nullified this season by borderline infractions, often happening away from the play.

To be clear, I don't blame the refs. They are given their marching orders by people in higher positions. People who could quite easily make it known that they should stop calling these plays so tightly. Call the obvious stuff, but otherwise, let the boys play.

This is a league that struggles to put butts in the seat and people in front of their TVs. Making the game more exciting, rather than less would be a good way to start. As it stands now, I'm more surprised when a flag isn't thrown on a return, rather than when it is.

The CFL has become a league of flags..almost on every play..as you say...when there is no flag you look to see if its a mistake...this doesnt make for fine viewing..what happened to the CFL.

On August 21, 2016 at 8:34 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

All the flags are making it hard to watch, and the stupid coaches challenges, what makes the nfl so exciting is the receivers and db's fighting for space. The cfl officiating is so bush league it's laughable