The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

Hard game, kept close.

Need the running game to get called a lot more;  and again, still need quarterback specific run plays, of more than 2 yards design.

Note for a while they couldn't play Butler due to the import rules- so that needs to bee addressed.

Should always be able to field a running back.

would have been better off to only throw deep a once  a quarter, and keep the rest in the 5-15 yrd range.

Not a bad performance by a first time starter, he will be better next week-if he is fit to play.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

The lower bowl was almost full, great job fans! That was a close game, the Lions defense is better than Winnipegs in my opinion. Pipkin will be better next game, and yes, the Lions need a running game to compete this fall.

Thank you for supporting our guys! Was nice NOT to see vomit green filling our stadium.

I hope Lee's ok too...hamstring. Hope it's just a pull and not a tear! Horrible luck lately...but a lot of it is Saskatchewan's very dirty way of playing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Thank you for supporting our guys! Was nice NOT to see vomit green filling our stadium.

I hope Lee's ok too...hamstring. Hope it's just a pull and not a tear! Horrible luck lately...but a lot of it is Saskatchewan's very dirty way of playing.

The team has an owner that looks to be in for the long haul. As much as Braley did to save the CFL, this team needed local ownership. When you have that, locals get excited. The product on the field is getting better too, which helps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

If its any consolation, he was standing on the sidelines cheering the team on. I give up on my medical expertise though, I was giving Rourke two weeks to be back into the lineup when he hurt his foot.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

The sad fact is, this is just not the same team without Nathan Rourke in the lineup. The backups did okay, but there's a reason most observers were giving NR the MoP before the season was half over...

And it isn't just the offense. I think late in that game we saw the effect of the defense spending a lot more time on the field than they had been before that game. The Riders started ripping off big running plays....that's the sign of a tired D.... 

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The sad fact is, this is just not the same team without Nathan Rourke in the lineup. The backups did okay, but there's a reason most observers were giving NR the MoP before the season was half over...

And it isn't just the offense. I think late in that game we saw the effect of the defense spending a lot more time on the field than they had been before that game. The Riders started ripping off big running plays....that's the sign of a tired D.... 

So true all of it. The Riders have a running game, the Lions don't. This team will miss those 350 plus yards passing of Rourke's for the remainder of the season.

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. The defense played good enough to win. They had some big stops early on, but they were on the field way too much. Too many 2 and outs for the Lions. Hopefully O'Connor can rest up, heal that groin during the bye week and get some good reps in practice to get game ready for the Montreal game. I don't wanna pile on O'Connor so early. It was his first ever professional start. He had nerves a normal young QB would have. We have just been spoiled by Rourke. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Thing is, I'm slightly optimistic because we do have quite a few offensive options that at least keeps them guessing to some degree. I have faith in our receivers...just get the ball to them.

Butler also can be pretty effective at times.

I do agree that the D was on the field too much, but it was a weird game and the Riders are ugly dirty. Despite it all, the Riders had to be a bit nervous and that ridiculous call at the end of the game was a bit of a difference maker. Could've gone the other way at that point.

It's not quite as bleak but Nathan, for sure, is the driving force. Even his energy on the sidelines is missed...he was the team's biggest cheerleader out there. They have to somehow replicate that enthusiasm and stay in the fight. I felt like they did ok with that...better than I'd expected. His confidence really rubbed off and it's a shaky time but all is not lost. 

I'm just glad we have a little bit of breathing room, but that gap'll close real quick if we string a couple of losses together.

Let's go Lions. Do it for Nate (I love that Burnham wore #12 into the building).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Despite the outcome not favouring the good guys, it was a fantastic in game experience. Lower bowl was almost full. Fans were really loud. TONS of kids for a 7:30pm start was impressive. The little girl sitting in front of us had her balloons out and decked out in orange. That's potentially a fan for life. The street party was fun as usual. We got to take a picture with Lui and Sean Millington outside of our section. Lions games are just a ton of fun to attend these days and you can do it for as cheap as 25 bucks per ticket. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is, I'm slightly optimistic because we do have quite a few offensive options that at least keeps them guessing to some degree. I have faith in our receivers...just get the ball to them.

Butler also can be pretty effective at times.

I do agree that the D was on the field too much, but it was a weird game and the Riders are ugly dirty. Despite it all, the Riders had to be a bit nervous and that ridiculous call at the end of the game was a bit of a difference maker. Could've gone the other way at that point.

It's not quite as bleak but Nathan, for sure, is the driving force. Even his energy on the sidelines is missed...he was the team's biggest cheerleader out there. They have to somehow replicate that enthusiasm and stay in the fight. I felt like they did ok with that...better than I'd expected. His confidence really rubbed off and it's a shaky time but all is not lost. 

I'm just glad we have a little bit of breathing room, but that gap'll close real quick if we string a couple of losses together.

Let's go Lions. Do it for Nate (I love that Burnham wore #12 into the building).

As great as the receiving corps has been this season, I don't think they were without blame last night either...

There was a sideline throw to Burnham, that basically went through the defenders hands and then through BB's....yes the flight of the ball was slightly disrupted, but that's a catch we've seen Burnham make many times. A catch there, would have kept the drive going, but instead, the Leos were forced to put...

Then later on, there was a long ball that Pipken basically dropped over the top right into the receiver (Rhymes, I think?)....but it went right through his hands. In fact, it looked like he didn't even see it....

When you're down to your 2nd and 3rd string QB's, the receivers have to elevate their games. That wasn't the case last night...

• Cheers 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/5-things-future-nothing-but-bleak-for-elks-after-another-home-loss/ar-AA11cQBa?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=104b89950aa80297a8f30ec92a1be58e

The problem with the Edmonton Elks is they play in Edmonton.

That’s got to be it, after dropping their 13th straight home game in a 25-18 loss to the Ottawa Redblacks on Saturday.

And if their next game inside Commonwealth Stadium follows the same trend as the last couple Labour Day Rematches, then the Elks would tie a Canadian Football League record with their 14th straight loss — a dubious distinction held by the Ottawa Rough Riders since 1988.

Fortunately, the Redblacks haven’t had much more luck on their own turf, where they’ve won just one of their last 20, which meant the two worst teams at home ended up splitting this home-and-home series with a win on the road. Go figure?

Here’s what we learned on Saturday:

NO PLACE LIKE HOME

The question the Elks have to be asking themselves right now is will they ever win another game in front of their own fans again?

If Edmonton can’t beat the only team in the league with a worse record than them, after having soundly winning, 30-12, just one week earlier, then what chance do they have against the Calgary Stampeders, Montreal Alouettes, Toronto Argonauts and B.C. Lions, as they close out their schedule with four of their final seven games at home.

All that’s left now is to try to avoid being the only team to ever go without a victory on their own turf for two straight seasons?

Then again, it’s not like the Elks are lighting it up on the road either, but going 3-3 on the year so far playing out of visitors locker-rooms is markedly better. Still, even a .500 record wouldn’t be enough to move them out of the basement of the West Division standings right now.

RETURNED FAVOUR

Fittingly, the Redblacks picked up where the Elks left off with their win a week ago in Ottawa, by scoring touchdowns on three consecutive drives in the first half to take a 20-3 lead.

It’s the same thing Edmonton had done to them at TD Place Stadium to open a second half they would dominate on the way to opening the back-to-back set with a road win.

So much for any confidence that may have inspired among the Elks, either offensively or defensively.

ARBUCKLE’S REVENGE

It’s not his fault the Elks chose him for the No. 1 job out of a training camp that began with no fewer than nine quarterbacks.

Nor did he ask to be traded after going 0-3 to open the season before being replaced by rookie Tre Ford. That’s just the way it worked out, as Nick Arbuckle found himself in the starting role for the fourth time this season, this one against his former team.

Little did he know, Elks head coach and general manager Chris Jones loaded the very bullet that did his team in on Saturday when he dealt Arbuckle away back on July 11. And in doing so, Arbuckle did in his first start with the Redblacks the one thing he was unable to do in Edmonton, win a football game.

PASSING BLAME

Without a single touchdown reception, Saturday’s game was hardly a passing clinic. The wet weather made sure of that.

All five touchdowns were not only scored on the ground, but by three different quarterbacks, with all five of those rushes combining for a total of nine yards.

Despite the rain, Arbuckle still managed to complete 21 of 32 attempts, or 65.6 per cent, for 219 yards along with a QB keeper for a one-yard touchdown.

Completing just 14 of 37 passes, Taylor Cornelius had the least accurate outing of his entire season, with a completion percentage of just 37.8, for 287 yards and an interception. He also ran eight times for 39 yards and two touchdowns.

LAWLER HURT

Despite the season-low accuracy, Cornelius’s 287 yards through the air stands as a season high.

A big reason for that were the efforts of the league’s highest-paid receiver, Kenny Lawler, who had a game-high 146 yards — and get this — on just three catches.

Unfortunately, he wasn’t out on the Elks’ final charge to attempt to tie the game with a touchdown after having his leg rolled upon in the pile during a quarterback sneak earlier in the fourth quarter.

“He should be fine,” Jones said. “Thank goodness we’ve got a long week where we’ve got a couple of extra days to prepare and hopefully he will be ready to roll.”

It was a rough outing for the Elks defensive line, as well, Saturday. Ese Mrabure left midway through the third quarter with trainers holding his left arm, while Makana Henry had to be helped off the field in the final 80 seconds with a noticeable limp.

E-mail: gmoddejonge@postmedia.com

On Twitter: @GerryModdejonge