The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

On 7/22/2023 at 4:29 PM, Barnstorm said:

BC’s return game needs work. Not gaining  good field position at all. 

Yes, I agree. Our returner is a quick shifty guy that tries some jukes and misdirection. One thing that I have noticed is that blockers for our returner(s) are not slowing down the opposing players as efficiently as other teams have done against us. Two weeks ago Montreal got some holding penalties on returns against us but they did, for the most part, a pretty good job of slowing our rushing players down. Sealing them up and taking them out of their rush lanes. Toronto and Saskatchewan were all over our returner before he could get to any hole or wall.

Might be something simple such as blocking schemes, experience playing together or just plain execution.

I like our "smothering" defence.

I think that Ben Hladik is probably the best middle linebacker in the CFL. He was instrumental in shutting down the Saskatchewan run game.

The offence did enough to win. Saskatchewan had a pretty good package of stunts. They were able to put a lot of pressure on our quarterbacks.

Dane Evans throws a nice ball but he seemed, for whatever reason, to have great difficulty getting the ball to Shivers. Almost comical some of those attempts directed at the little (5'7") runningback.

Nice to see the upper bowl open.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

Saturday BC at Edmonton 4:10pacific

Easy Win..

Could contain: Head, Person, Face, Smoke Pipe

Lions need to stay focused, or they could end up losing.

Evans might be the starter, and Leo's gave up way too many sacks last game.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

Saturday BC at Edmonton 4:10pacific

Easy Win..

Have to approach the game as "Business as Usual". No coasting or letting up in practice. As stated by a different poster, Evans (the backup QB) could and probably will be quarterbacking the lions.

Edmonton will win eventually. Let's hope that it's not against us on Saturday.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/13/2023 at 12:29 PM, Gurn said:

My hat is off, and respect given to the fans that continue to show up.

The few, the(formerly) proud and loud.

I went to an Elks game in Edmonton back in 2021. At one point midway through the third quarter, a guy in my section stood up and offered shrooms to the rest of the section (which was like 12 people). He took a bit for himself then tossed the bag to somebody a few rows back. The section cheered and security didn't even seem to notice, or at least didn't do anything. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I went to an Elks game in Edmonton back in 2021. At one point midway through the third quarter, a guy in my section stood up and offered shrooms to the rest of the section (which was like 12 people). He took a bit for himself then tossed the bag to somebody a few rows back. The section cheered and security didn't even seem to notice, or at least didn't do anything.

Probably so the home fans could laugh at the Elks along with the visiting fans....

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Probably so the home fans could laugh at the Elks along with the visiting fans....

I can't say I blame the fans for doing what they gotta do to get into it. I swear there was more people out in the smoke pit than there was actually watching the game. Then again, an Elks game is probably an emotional letdown after watching their kids' u-9 soccer game earlier in the day.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I can't say I blame the fans for doing what they gotta do to get into it. I swear there was more people out in the smoke pit than there was actually watching the game. Then again, an Elks game is probably an emotional letdown after watching their kids' u-9 soccer game earlier in the day.

Need to change the team name back and start selling pies in the concessions.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Need to change the team name back and start selling pies in the concessions.

If they sold pies, can you imagine the mayhem that would've ensued a couple weeks back there when they should've won the game on a rouge but the returner didn't know the rule?

• Haha 2

2-4 Hamilton @ 3-3 Ottawa, game time 4:30 pacific

Hamilton has scored 130 points, while allowing 195- worst points against in the league, by 10 more than the winless Elks, who have played 1 more game. 

Ottawa has scored   140 points, while allowing 142

Hamilton ends up winning, 16-12, with Ottawa getting 3 points in the fourth quarter, to make it close.

Also, Bo Levi Mitchell  was injured, looked like a leg problem, in the last minutes of the game.

Both teams now sit at 3-4 records.

double header day, today:

Game 1

3-3 Sask. @ 5-0 Toronto game time 1 pm pacific

riders have scored 125 points while allowing 147

Toronto                 186                                   111

Side note- I got a little annoyed with the TSN panel- calling Toronto the class/best in the league- without mentioning the Leo's have won just as many games, and have a better defensive record.

Game 2

5-1 Lions @ 0-7 Elks, game time 4 pm pacific

Lions have scored 155 points and allowed 94

Elks                        105                               185

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

Hamilton ends up winning, 16-12, with Ottawa getting 3 points in the fourth quarter, to make it close.

Also, Bo Levi Mitchell  was injured, looked like a leg problem, in the last minutes of the game.

Both teams now sit at 3-4 records.

I was watching and it was an inexplicable decision by the coaching staff.

Hamilton had stopped Ottawa on 3rd down and thanks to a taunting penalty, had to scrimmage from their 2 yard line with enough time on the clock for two plays. There were two ways for the Ti-Cats to handle it....you could take the knee twice, or, if you think you don't have enough room to do that, (thanks to the bonehead taunting penalty) you bring in the short yardage QB....

You don't leave your starter in and have him run the keeper.....it was beyond stupid and I'm mystified as to why Steinauer let it happen. I'd be having a couple of four letter words with my OC....

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Gurn said:

Side note- I got a little annoyed with the TSN panel- calling Toronto the class/best in the league- without mentioning the Leo's have won just as many games, and have a better defensive record.

It's pretty fair considering the result when we played each other.  That being said, I like our chances in a rematch with a healthy lineup and VA on his game.

• Upvote 1