The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Re-watched Interstellar (7/10). Can't remember what I initially gave it, but I think a 7/10 is higher than my original opinion as the whole "love is a quantifiable additional dimension" got me irked. MM was good in this film, his reaction to his children's videos got me a little misty. Jessica Chastain is hit or miss for me. Some scenes I like, some she just seems flat. I know that's a pretty controversial opinion around here, especially with the love for Taking Shelter (which I have not seen). 

Another controversial opinion: the pay discrepancy between male and female actors is warranted. There are very few female actors that I would pay simply to see their work. Emily Blunt, Meryl Streep (though I don't like her recent movies much), Cate Blanchett... that's about it). 

EDIT: 

Chappie: 5.5/10. Robot the only character that's not one-dimensional. The criminals are so stereotypical, and the Slumdog Millionaire actor continues to insist that he deliver every line as a whisper of awe. Worth a one-time watch because robots.

Edited by Down by the River

tis the season - I'm gonna be binging on a lot of (likely crappy) horror flicks the next couple weeks

The Strangers - 3/10

Just another home invasion movie. Points for a nice slow tense set-up, but then nothing. Not even like it fails to pay off, more that they draw the early suspense out for way longer than necessary, then it just ends. Next.

Resolution - 8/10

K this was actually pretty good, but aside from some vaguely unsettling scenes, not really a horror. I don't know what to classify it. It's about this guy who tracks down his childhood best friend who's holed up in a cabin on a meth binge and imprisons him there as like a forced intervention. They find out they're on native land, discover some old stone buildings, a cave ... it sounds generic but it was told in a pretty original way. Need to re-watch this one to even have an idea what happened.

the visit: 6.5/10

rock bottom expectations for a Shyamalan film, so i was pleasantly surprised. has some incredibly lame parts (kid rapping), but i think a child/young viewer would find them amusing. but that young viewer would probably also find the scary bits to be too scary, so who is the movie for? i dunno.

it was cute and had a few creepy/tense scenes.

I hope it's because you think she's not and not because she's in good movies?

Can't it be both? She's definitely been in some less than stellar movies, don't get me wrong, but she's got a few good ones too IMO. 

Professional, Mars Attacks, Garden State, Closer, V for Vendetta,  Mr. Magorium, Brothers, Black Swan were all decent to good flicks IMO. 

Plus she's smart and sooooo purrrty :wub:

I hope it's because you think she's not and not because she's in good movies?

With the exception of Star Wars and a few others, I think she is a damn fine actress. Not only is she extremely attractive, she is extremely intelligent, which adds to her attraction from my perspective. 

You can read some of the papers she has published here:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Natalie_Hershlag 

• Upvote 1