The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

2 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

he is a bit overrated, isn't he? outside of Collateral, i don't know if he has a single movie I would consider 'great' personally. I re-watched Last of the Mohicans recently, and it had a couple of good scenes, but mostly just seemed dated. Heat's alright. The rest I just don't remember or wasn't all that impressed with to begin with - yet he's often written about or regarded as some A List director or something, it seems

Thief? It's old and dated, but pretty damn good from what I remember.

Anyone watch the Knick (TV Show)? If you can get passed the whole 'another dark and troubled white male genius' trope, it is a beautiful show to watch. Cliff Martinez does the sountrack (former Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer, scored Drive, etc.), Soderberg directs, Clive Owen stars.

It is gorgeously shot and great sound editing... the clanking of metal scalpels, the steam from surgeons washing their hands, it is mesmerizing. You feel like you're in the room. 

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Anyone watch the Knick (TV Show)? If you can get passed the whole 'another dark and troubled white male genius' trope, it is a beautiful show to watch. Cliff Martinez does the sountrack (former Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer, scored Drive, etc.), Soderberg directs, Clive Owen stars.

It is gorgeously shot and great sound editing... the clanking of metal scalpels, the steam from surgeons washing their hands, it is mesmerizing. You feel like you're in the room. 

Been meaning to watch it. Was a big Clive Owen fan for the longest time (Croupier FTW), until he just fell off the face of the planet. 

Him losing out on James Bond to Daniel Craig sure didn't help things.

57 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Did he lose out? I read on the AVClub that he turned down the role. 

I always thought he lost out on it. If, in fact, he turned it down, that was a poor decision on his part.

Edited by Monty

Wife and I just finished watching The Phantom Menace. I remember it being bad, but it was WAY worse than I remembered. My wife is the eternal optimist and is usually not critical, and she was more bothered by it than I was throughout.

Best part was at the end when Liam Neeson died. The look on his face when he was impaled by the lightsaber, my wife said, "That is the look of relief that he no longer had to act in this piece of sh*t."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Wife and I just finished watching The Phantom Menace. I remember it being bad, but it was WAY worse than I remembered. My wife is the eternal optimist and is usually not critical, and she was more bothered by it than I was throughout.

Best part was at the end when Liam Neeson died. The look on his face when he was impaled by the lightsaber, my wife said, "That is the look of relief that he no longer had to act in this piece of sh*t."

The prequels are just so bad when you watch them again as an adult. I tried episode 3 again and it's a lot worse than I remember. 

After re-watching the OT, Star Wars and Empire still stand as my favorite movies of all time.

48 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

star wars sitting at 95% on RT based on about 170 reviews. on IMDB it's at 9.0 based on 20,000 votes. 

there is hope.

I think RT is a bit misleading since it only takes into consideration whether they "liked" it or not but obviously if everyone is enjoying it then it's a good sign. Metacritic has it at 8.1 from 45 critics which is still a pretty decent score.

Needless to say I'm pretty hyped right now.

The Book Of Life

Pretty fun animated film, the plot is pretty predictable, but the animation is very visually engaging, lots of colours & the voice performances are spot on. It's got some laughs and some fun song adaptations, all in all a pretty watchable flick. 

7/10

13 hours ago, Monty said:

Been meaning to watch it. Was a big Clive Owen fan for the longest time (Croupier FTW), until he just fell off the face of the planet. 

Him losing out on James Bond to Daniel Craig sure didn't help things.

Yeah, Croupier and Children of Men were just phenomenal. Inside Man was quite good as well.

The International wasn't too bad - but that came out 6 years ago. And just a handful of mediocre films since.

21 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Yeah, Croupier and Children of Men were just phenomenal. Inside Man was quite good as well.

The International wasn't too bad - but that came out 6 years ago. And just a handful of mediocre films since.

didn't he also do "Innocent Man"  with Jamie Foxx?  I liked Inside Man the first time a lot, but knowing how he got out kinda took some of the fun out of it the next couple of times I saw the film.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

didn't he also do "Innocent Man"  with Jamie Foxx?  I liked Inside Man the first time a lot, but knowing how he got out kinda took some of the fun out of it the next couple of times I saw the film.

I think you're thinking of Gerard Butler. He's very much like Clive Owen, except for being s**t.

Speaking of s**t, that movie was called Law Abiding Citizen.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Yeah it's pretty good! That one nurse is Bono's daughter. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

The Book Of Life

Pretty fun animated film, the plot is pretty predictable, but the animation is very visually engaging, lots of colours & the voice performances are spot on. It's got some laughs and some fun song adaptations, all in all a pretty watchable flick. 

7/10

Have to look in to that, remember thinking it looked interesting.

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

I think you're thinking of Gerard Butler. He's very much like Clive Owen, except for being s**t.

Speaking of s**t, that movie was called Law Abiding Citizen.

Jeez, I forgot about Law Abiding Citizen. That was horrendous. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Jeez, I forgot about Law Abiding Citizen. That was horrendous. 

My apologies for bringing up such painful memories.

The worst part about it though, was that a lot of people thought it was good! I had a couple people recommend it to me... ...we haven't spoken since.

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

My apologies for bringing up such painful memories.

The worst part about it though, was that a lot of people thought it was good! I had a couple people recommend it to me... ...we haven't spoken since.

I remember some chick I worked with who said, "If you like movies, you should watch The Ugly Truth and Just Married (Kutcher and Murphy)." I just chuckled and told her that I would look into it.