The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Cartel Land: 8/10

I wasn't really paying attention, just switched on Netflix and started watching this, not knowing it was a documentary. At first I realized it was a documentary, and then the access seemed so unreal that I thought it could be one of those 'found footage' type films so I had to Google to see what this movie actually was. Documentary by Matthew Heinemann. The access to two groups of 'vigilantes' on opposite sides of the Mexican/US border is awesome. The documentary flips between and parallels the activities of the two groups. Lost points because the doc had such wonderful access to these two groups but seemed to fall short of getting details/telling the full story. Could have gone on for much longer. 

On 1/22/2016 at 4:31 PM, Monty said:

Battlestar Galactica

My wife watched it a few years ago, but I was not in the mood to start watching another space/sci-fi show, as we had just finished destroying Star Trek: Enterprise, with Scott Bakula.

Just started the second season and loving it.

still the greatest show i've ever seen, nothing comes close. season 4... pure goosebumps

don't forget to watch the movies "Razor" (after season 3) and "The Plan" (after season 4) (don't look at the movie poster - huge spoilers)

also you have to watch the "Faces of the Enemy" webisodes after season 4, episode 12 

enjoy it

Edited by infinitecarnage

Mistress America 8/10
Really liked this - Baumber's on a roll.

Avengers in the age of Ultron --/10
Only made it through 15 min. and it took all my concentration. Too sophisticated perhaps.

The Walk 5/10
Cute. Prefer the doc.

Anomalisa 9/10
Get out of my head Charlie Kaufman. Or stay, and tell me about your day.

39 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Bone Tomahawk- 7.5 out of 10.  Western/horror crossover that had a surprisingly brutal scene.  Much better than I thought it was going to be.

I will check this one out for sure.

btw.

watched ex machina.  Totally enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

Sicario - 6.5/10

Some fantastic cinematography, and a couple great action scenes. But the problem with the movie is the lead. Emily Blunt is miscast, and her character useless. Half her lines seem to be "I need a drink/smoke". 

Foxcatcher - 3.5/10

Did not understand the praise for this film. I mean, the acting was "ok", but certainly nothing groundbreaking. For a true story, it's sort of interesting, but interesting in that it would have made for an interesting article, not a 2 hour film.

Now that I've seen it, I would say it's a hard pass to those that haven't seen it. 2 hours I definitely wish I had back.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2014 at 11:39 AM, D-Money said:

Somm - 6/10

Documentary on Netflix about a bunch of guys trying to pass the test to become master sommeliers. It was interesting learning about how difficult the test is (less than 200 people have passed it, worldwide), the history of it, etc. A couple of the main characters were kind of grating after a while, but all in all worth watching.

Watched it yesterday. I'd also give it a 6/10. Majority of it was as interesting as a documentary about sommeliers could be. However, the last 25 minutes was borderline unwatchable.

The first hour, you see how they prepare, which is quite interesting. But the final 25 minutes was them testing. However, cameras aren't allowed to film the 3 day test, so the final 25 minutes was literally them walking into their test and then walking out, showing their reactions.

5 hours ago, Monty said:

Watched it yesterday. I'd also give it a 6/10. Majority of it was as interesting as a documentary about sommeliers could be. However, the last 25 minutes was borderline unwatchable.

The first hour, you see how they prepare, which is quite interesting. But the final 25 minutes was them testing. However, cameras aren't allowed to film the 3 day test, so the final 25 minutes was literally them walking into their test and then walking out, showing their reactions.

Yeah, by that point you don't really learn much. And the guys they follow are pretty much D-bags too, so you don't care a whole lot how they react either. But everything up to that was pretty interesting.

Revenant 

screw it.  I'm just going to give it a 10.

i can find no fault.

admittedly this movie is in my wheelhouse.  I'm a western, drama, grit movie fan and although this movie is not a western per se, it is within the genre due to era, culture of the time, settings, optics, etc.

this movie has infinite grit and intensity. It just doesn't let up. Very impressive performance by Leo, especially in the first half. That's not to say his performance wavered, it's just that he hits super hard early and the scenes set the tone.

The scenery, cinematography are basically another character in this movie.  It adds a huge dimension of realism. 

Overall when I see some of the lack of effort in directing, acting, movie making in other movies it's so refreshing and rewarding as a viewer to see such commitment by all involved in a movie like this.

ill be watching again for sure.