The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Rogue One:  7.5 out of 10.  Good popcorn flick.  I'm kind of in the minority because I don't usually love superhero movies or blockbusters.  Still it was a fun watch but I doubt I'd watch it a second time.   

Looking forward to Shane Black's new Predator movie though.  Oh and after seeing the new Blade Runner trailer, looks like D.V is going to craft a killer flick

Still have to compile my list of top 5 films for the year, likely won't get it done until the new year, as there are films I won't be able to see until then. For the films I've seen that will be in discussion:

- Eye in the Sky

- Joshy

- My Blind Brother

- Hunt for the Wilderpeople

- Loving

Have to see:

- Manchester by the Sea

- Arrival

- Train to Busan

- Hail, Caesar!

- Hacksaw Ridge

The Autopsy of Jane Doe  7.5/10

Very promising first half with a science vs supernatural set-up, little underwhelming gear shift to more conventional horror. Still had its moments and was overall pretty slick, but it could have been so much more. The ending, in particular, could have gone in a slightly different direction and been much more satisfying imo. But I like the concept they left off with and there's room for a better sequel or series.

Spoiler

thought when Emile Hirsch's character woke up on the floor in the morning, the cops would come in and find the two bodies with no evidence of the autopsy or the corpses or any of that and he would be carted off as a crazy murderer - still leaving the angle of the cursed corpse being sent off to a new county

I'll try to rustle up a top ten list but 2016 has been pretty weak - lots of very good-almost great but only two clear standouts so far - The Witch & Arrival

Blair Witch  2/10

boom mic scrape

scream

flashlights running through the woods

Knew it was gonna be crap, knew I was gonna watch it anyways. If you can make it through to near the end there's one worthwhile sequence, accounting for most of those two points. And how come nobody ever considers that the stick art is a peace offering?

3 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

Office Christmas Party.  8.5/10

steady stream of laughs start to finish.

i was gonna write a review of how bad i think cineplex, silver city and the going out to a movie experience was....but the movie made up for my saltyness so ill save that for another day.

Nice, this one immediately went on my hangover list for when I'm in need of the mindless & retarded, or am in such a state - would like to read a good ol' cineplex rant though.

Mr. Fantastic

Viggo Mortensen is a dad with 6 or so kids living in the woods of Washington State. His kids are robots (not literally) but he acts as if he's raising a bunch of free thinkers that are fighting against the system. In reality, he's created a family cult where kids that challenge his beliefs get shamed and embarrassed by him when they question his philosophies.

If the director was hoping that the lead was supposed to come across as a really good dad: 3/10

If the director was hoping that the viewer would have conflicted feelings about the dad: 6/10

I thought the director wanted the audience to form their own opinion about the dad. There is a scene where he asks his daughter about a book she is reading and the protagonist is someone you empathize with and hate at the same time. I thought the director might be leaning towards this perspective of the father, but difficult to tell, IMO.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Me too, but Vince Vaughn, Andrew Garfield, AND Sam Worthington?

Its like Gibson wanted to stack the deck against himself.

Andrew Garfield can be good. I mean, he was good in The Social Network. Haven't taken note of anything else good, though.

As for Worthington, I actually enjoyed his performance in the terrible Terminator film. Thought he was the only good thing about it.

But Vince Vaughn? Yeah, straight up balls.

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

Andrew Garfield can be good. I mean, he was good in The Social Network. Haven't taken note of anything else good, though.

As for Worthington, I actually enjoyed his performance in the terrible Terminator film. Thought he was the only good thing about it.

But Vince Vaughn? Yeah, straight up balls.

Avatar. You can't come back from that.

I might be too hard on Garfield though.

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Mr. Fantastic

Viggo Mortensen is a dad with 6 or so kids living in the woods of Washington State. His kids are robots (not literally) but he acts as if he's raising a bunch of free thinkers that are fighting against the system. In reality, he's created a family cult where kids that challenge his beliefs get shamed and embarrassed by him when they question his philosophies.

If the director was hoping that the lead was supposed to come across as a really good dad: 3/10

If the director was hoping that the viewer would have conflicted feelings about the dad: 6/10

I thought the director wanted the audience to form their own opinion about the dad. There is a scene where he asks his daughter about a book she is reading and the protagonist is someone you empathize with and hate at the same time. I thought the director might be leaning towards this perspective of the father, but difficult to tell, IMO.

If you like'd this, you should give Dogtooth a chance (though it is much more strange, less cute and much more subversive that Mr. Fantastic).  Beautiful shot film too.

Just now, Down by the River said:

Avatar. You can't come back from that.

I might be too hard on Garfield though.

I can't crap on Avatar. For a big, dumb popcorn flick, it's certainly enjoyable on that front alone. Plus, despite Titanic, I'm not going to crap on the guy that brought us T1, T2, Aliens, and True Lies. 

Also, as "dumb" as the plot was for Avatar (and some of the writing), it was a gorgeous film. And Worthington wasn't the problem with it, either. Unobtaneum was.

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I'm thinking more along the lines of Wedding Crashers or Dodgeball. If you like a good rom com even The Break-Up was pretty funny. Watched Unfinished Business on Netflix one night too- terrible movie but I had some good laughs.

I know. Just giving you a hard time.;)

I did enjoy Dodgeball. "Necessary? Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine?"