The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Did not feel the urge to celebrate 2016 - instead, Herzog double header

Encounters at the End of the World  9/10

Loved every second of this. McMurdo Station and some surrounding outposts in the Antarctic and the various characters that populate them. There's a little bit of everything in here - stunning nature photography, meditative underwater sonic landscapes, captivating personal anecdotes, the mundane day to day of living so remotely.

Into The Abyss   4/10

Bit of a departure for Herzie doing true crime stuff and for whatever reason it didn't work for me. The editing seemed to drag and I got bogged down in some confusing details of the story that were never ironed out. It's basically a case study in the death penalty, two guys convicted of a crime in 2001, but only one sentenced to die. I can see why he was interested in the story and sort of see what he was going for but I think it's just a case of a director taking on a project and failing to really crack into the nut. I am glad I stuck with it despite declining attention span though. There's one long fascinating interview near the end with a guy who formerly worked as a 'death administrator' (my own term - I'm not sure what the actual job description is for someone who deals in lethal injection) who had an epiphany moment and quit.

Edited by The Bookie

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

I thought they would have him as a ghost like done with the other dead heroes.  I saw the last one, where Han was killed by his son, and really enjoyed it.  I though the actor playing Han's son was brilliant.  I thought the guy was Alan Rickman good for being bad.  

Also, Rogue One was a prequel sort of, not a sequel. So chronologically, Han Solo hasn't been killed yet.

The Americans - Season 1

Why it took so long for me to get to this, I do not know. For those who are interested in spy/thrillers, do not miss out.

If you don't know already, show is set in 1981 during the Cold War. Two Soviet spies pose as American husband and wife  set in Washington, DC. Have to balance posing as a normal American family with their two American born children who know nothing of who their parents true identities.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, The Bookie said:

Did not feel the urge to celebrate 2016 - instead, Herzog double header

Encounters at the End of the World  9/10

Loved every second of this. McMurdo Station and some surrounding outposts in the Antarctic and the various characters that populate them. There's a little bit of everything in here - stunning nature photography, meditative underwater sonic landscapes, captivating personal anecdotes, the mundane day to day of living so remotely.

Into The Abyss   4/10

Bit of a departure for Herzie doing true crime stuff and for whatever reason it didn't work for me. The editing seemed to drag and I got bogged down in some confusing details of the story that were never ironed out. It's basically a case study in the death penalty, two guys convicted of a crime in 2001, but only one sentenced to die. I can see why he was interested in the story and sort of see what he was going for but I think it's just a case of a director taking on a project and failing to really crack into the nut. I am glad I stuck with it despite declining attention span though. There's one long fascinating interview near the end with a guy who formerly worked as a 'death administrator' (my own term - I'm not sure what the actual job description is for someone who deals in lethal injection) who had an epiphany moment and quit.

Interesting. my response to these was almost opposite of yours. I thought Encounters was good, but I found myself getting a bit bored by the end. I don't even really remember much from it except I was a bit disappointed. But Into the Abyss I've now seen 2 or 3 times and was totally engaged and disturbed each time. I will admit, though, hillbilly-types killing each other sorta is "my thing" so I feel the latter certainly had my card to some extent.

Herzog releases so much stuff that it's sorta difficult to enjoy it all, but it's almost always interesting at least.

Lo and Behold, Reveries of the Connected World   8/10

More 'Zog. His latest, about the internet, artificial intelligence, the general digital world. It's somewhat wandering and chaotic but that's not a criticism, more a natural outcome of the subject matter. There's 10 individual topics covered and each one could warrant (and probably has) its own doc. I wonder if he regrets finishing this just before the US election as some of the subjects brush right up against the fake news and online foreign influence dominating discussion recently.

Personal highlight of the film is during an interview with Elon Musk, talking about the idea of building a permanent station on Mars and the difficulty of getting people interested in travelling there - Werner, interrupting: "I would go! I would go in a moment. Give me a one way ticket please!"

11 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

Herzog releases so much stuff that it's sorta difficult to enjoy it all, but it's almost always interesting at least.

Definitely, he's hard to keep up with but it's a good problem to have, and I can go a year or two forgetting about him and then have a little treasure trove to dig through.

I should check out more of his fiction films, though a lot of them look pretty whacky/cheesy. I've seen Fitzcarraldo, Rescue Dawn and Bad Lieutenant. Anyone watched My Son My Son What Have Ye Done? Michael Shannon's a favourite around here. Looks weird.

Mr. Right: 8/10 for Sam Rockwell alone.

Enjoyed this on the Netflix last night. Not a huge Anna Kendrick but the rest of the cast makes up for it.

I was secretly wanting this to be a 7 Psychopaths sequel as Rockwell plays kinda the character but oh well...

For those of you who have seen Nocturnal Animals, did you go to theater to watch it, or download? the only copy I can find online all comes from one source and it is apparently missing at least 5 minutes from "key scenes" that take away a lot of it.

Does anyone know if the leaked version is the authentic copy or what?

No spoilers plz.

27 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

For those of you who have seen Nocturnal Animals, did you go to theater to watch it, or download? the only copy I can find online all comes from one source and it is apparently missing at least 5 minutes from "key scenes" that take away a lot of it.

Does anyone know if the leaked version is the authentic copy or what?

No spoilers plz.

Interesting... this might explain why I'd only rate it a 6/6.5.

I streamed it off of Kodi and checked the running time... one hr 52 min. Five minutes shorter than the true version.

6 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Interesting... this might explain why I'd only rate it a 6/6.5.

I streamed it off of Kodi and checked the running time... one hr 52 min. Five minutes shorter than the true version.

Seems to be the case for all leaked copies, unfortunately. Guess I'll just wait for a new copy to leak

On 2017-01-01 at 9:33 AM, Hugor Hill said:

Also, Rogue One was a prequel sort of, not a sequel. So chronologically, Han Solo hasn't been killed yet.

The force awakens sucked for many reasons.. but the main reason is I didn't feel a thing when Solo died. That's bad movie making... Rogue one was at least entertaining. 

• Upvote 1

On 2017-01-01 at 1:15 PM, GLASSJAW said:

Interesting. my response to these was almost opposite of yours. I thought Encounters was good, but I found myself getting a bit bored by the end. I don't even really remember much from it except I was a bit disappointed. But Into the Abyss I've now seen 2 or 3 times and was totally engaged and disturbed each time. I will admit, though, hillbilly-types killing each other sorta is "my thing" so I feel the latter certainly had my card to some extent.

I love Herzog. Bad lutendant port of call New Orleans is underrated and has one of nic cages best performances in the last 15 years.

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

The force awakens sucked for many reasons.. but the main reason is I didn't feel a thing when Solo died. That's bad movie making... Rogue one was at least entertaining. 

Same here. I felt a lot more for the people in Rogue One than I did with Han Solo. Those people fought bravely and died for a good cause. Han Solo died because of his stupidity (as least IHMO).

1 minute ago, Hugor Hill said:

Same here. I felt a lot more for the people in Rogue One than I did with Han Solo. Those people fought bravely and died for a good cause. Han Solo died because of his stupidity (as least IHMO).

Han Solo is one of the most iconic characters in movie history and to have him die and not care at all is quite sad. That movie had no originality to it whatsoever. I don't know how some people loved it so much? Nostalgia I guess. I quite enjoyed Rogue 1 though. Kinda slow the first hour... but the last 30 mins were worth the ticket price.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Han Solo is one of the most iconic characters in movie history and to have him die and not care at all is quite sad. That movie had no originality to it whatsoever. I don't know how some people loved it so much? Nostalgia I guess. I quite enjoyed Rogue 1 though. Kinda slow the first hour... but the last 30 mins were worth the ticket price.  

The moment I realized I really like the movie was when Donnie Yen's character walked out into no man's land saying his prayer. That was good movie making.

4 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

The moment I realized I really like the movie was when Donnie Yen's character walked out into no man's land saying his prayer. That was good movie making.

Yeah it was entertaining, I liked Donnys character also. The movie wasn't too cheesy like TFA was. The last 5-10 mins were fantastic. I almost teared up when you know who was doing his thing at the end of the movie. I love movies with a great ending. I'd give it an 8/10 would be higher if there was a bit more character development. 

On 11/25/2016 at 10:28 PM, GLASSJAW said:

miss peregrine's whatever: 2.5/10, i guess. poor acting, stupid plot that drags on way too long. don't think i enjoyed anything about this. not even sure where the 2.5 points are coming from

tim burton sure did fall off

Watched this a few nights ago...

For anyone who hasn't read the books.... I don't know if I'd go as low as 2.5. Probably 4 or so out of 10. The first 1/2 is not horrible but it falls off a cliff in to a pit full of spikes and venomous snakes in the second half.

If you have read the books however...Holy #$@% what a festering pile of turd out of 10!

They changed SO much stuff from the books that it's barely a recognizable story at the end. My wife and I actually said 'what the $%#@ are we watching?!' to each other.

I understand that films need to tweak story/character elements for the sake of pacing etc but they seemingly changed things here for the sake of change. They didn't aid the story, they didn't help the pacing it was a confusing, cheesy, mess that looks like it was rushed in and out of production with little thought.

I don't know if it was Burton or the studio's idea to COMPLETELY re-invent the wheel and change the entire back half of the movie, and not even to something good, but results are HORRIBLE. I also don't know how they got such prominent actors to actually star in their little re-invented turd of a movie.

I'm completely disappointed in this 'effort' after reading the books. This had the opportunity of being something of a cross between later Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings IMO. The books are quite entertaining. The movie however, is largely, unfortunately, garbage.