The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

I've been toying with the idea of watching this for like two years now. Took a sick day today, perfect opportunity to throw it on.

Like I said, if the last half is even half as good as the first half, then you won't regret it. Getting home tonight at 9pm, and I'm going to finish it. Even after the first 40 minutes, I have absolutely no clue where the movie is really heading or where it will end up, and that's in a good way.

Edited by Monty

Take Shelter - No review yet. I watched 40 minutes of it yesterday, my wife came home and I stopped watching it. I told her, "I have to start this over from the beginning, as you have to watch this." If the last hour and twenty minutes is anything like the first fourty, Take Shelter will easily be the best film that I've watched this year, just ahead of Dirty Pretty Things.

Just watched the trailer....looks GOOD. That's going in the cue.

Take Shelter - No review yet. I watched 40 minutes of it yesterday, my wife came home and I stopped watching it. I told her, "I have to start this over from the beginning, as you have to watch this." If the last hour and twenty minutes is anything like the first fourty, Take Shelter will easily be the best film that I've watched this year, just ahead of Dirty Pretty Things.

probably my fav movie of the decade so far (2010-)

i posted about that movie about 150 times

thanks for taking my suggestions, assholes

Honestly, I don't even remember anyone bringing it up, and I'm kicking myself for not paying attention and seeing those recommendations for it. I just finished watching it on my lunch hour. Absolutely terrific. Easy 9/10 for me. You just feel so much for Shannon and his family. The way him and his wife communicated, how tortured he was, and how absolutely unwavering Chastain's character was in being a loving and supportive spouse to Shannon. Absolutely fantastic film. I'd have to go back to films released since 2010, but I might be there with you. May not be my favourite film of this decade, but it's certainly in the top 5.

Honestly, I don't even remember anyone bringing it up, and I'm kicking myself for not paying attention and seeing those recommendations for it. I just finished watching it on my lunch hour. Absolutely terrific. Easy 9/10 for me. You just feel so much for Shannon and his family. The way him and his wife communicated, how tortured he was, and how absolutely unwavering Chastain's character was in being a loving and supportive spouse to Shannon. Absolutely fantastic film. I'd have to go back to films released since 2010, but I might be there with you. May not be my favourite film of this decade, but it's certainly in the top 5.

yup yup. totally great. obviously i understand why it wasnt a big Oscar player, but to me the performances are just as good as anything i've ever seen. Shannon is super great at subtlety.

just out of curiosity, what else would you have on this list? i thought about my own statement, and now i'm not even sure what else i even rank all that high. can think of two or three, maybe.

yup yup. totally great. obviously i understand why it wasnt a big Oscar player, but to me the performances are just as good as anything i've ever seen. Shannon is super great at subtlety.

I honestly do not remember the last time a film stuck with me right after I watched it like Take Shelter has. Everything felt so real in it, if you know what I mean. The dialogue, which was great, seemed incredibly natural with what you would expect in everyday life. The chemistry between Shannon and Chastain was incredibly believable. But what really hit me was how connected they were as a married couple and how real that felt for a healthy marriage. I kept thinking about rough patches my wife and I have gone through individually, and just how supportive, loving, and understanding we were for each other during those times, and Chastain played that beautifully. Even at one point where she was angry, you could tell there was love there, and that the anger came from her not understanding his actions. The moment she knew why, instant support and care. Even at the pivotal scene in near the end while they were eating dinner with the townsfolk. As terrific as Shannon was, it was Chastain's silence that was absolutely beautiful. I can't say enough about this film.

just out of curiosity, what else would you have on this list? i thought about my own statement, and now i'm not even sure what else i even rank all that high. can think of two or three, maybe.

After briefly looking up what was released since 2010, here are a few that I enjoyed: True Grit, Looper, The Cabin In The Woods, Life of Pi, and The Lincoln Lawyer (haven't seen Her, Philomena yet). Now, how many of those movies did I enjoy more then Take Shelter? Well, they are all completely different films and all offer something that the other doesn't. At the end of the day, it would probably be between Life of Pi and Take Shelter. I've said this before when I reviewed Life of Pi. When I watched it in theatres, I had that feeling that my parents said they had when they were kids and my grandparents said when movie theatres were first introduced, that it felt like magic. I was absolutely in awe at what I was watching. Now, while Life of Pi seemed like a completely unfilmable movie, Take Shelter was a strong script that also required expert acting. We all know Michael Shannon for playing a villain in most of his roles, and I was wondering before I watched how he would be able to overcome that (his roles in Boardwalk Empire, Man of Steel, Premium Rush). He has the eyes which scream, "Don't frack with me." However, at no point did I ever think that I could not feel for this man. He absolutely nailed his role. And Chastain was just incredible.

To me Life of Pi = EXTREMELY overrated.

6.5/10 if I'm generous.

Oh, and I certainly get that. I know there are better written and acted films, but I like it in the same way that I have Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Starship Troopers in my top 5 favourite films of all time. By no means is it superior to other films, but the experience I had while watching them had a lasting affect, for one reason or another. And that's what Life of Pi was to me. Watching it in theatres was absolutely stunning. I've since bought it and have yet to watch it again as I know watching it at home will lower my grade.

To me Life of Pi = EXTREMELY overrated.

6.5/10 if I'm generous.

why do I get the feeling that you would say this about any movie that deals with religion to any degree?

I loved Life of Pi, but I've been afraid to re-watch it outside of the movie theater, because I just loved the visuals so much. If that 'magic' were removed, would the movie just sorta suck?

why do I get the feeling that you would say this about any movie that deals with religion to any degree?

I loved Life of Pi, but I've been afraid to re-watch it outside of the movie theater, because I just loved the visuals so much. If that 'magic' were removed, would the movie just sorta suck?

Maybe not "sorta suck," but probably "kinda decent." This is why I haven't watched it again.

Pretty much. Avatar 2.0.

• Upvote 1

Nope. Lot's of movies with religion/religious elements I've quite enjoyed.

Pi seemed like a "spiritual Avatar" to me. Lot's of pretty visuals that mask the lack of any real meaningful substance. It was a cookie cutter movie with green screen wizardry.

Edited by J.R.