The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

The Hills have eyes: 8/10 - a great horror movie with a setting I enjoyed.

The Hills have eyes 2: 3/10 - stick with the original because the sequel sucks. Copied the first one in some aspects and overall just wasn't well done.

Elysium - 3/10

Not really sure where to begin with this.

Cons:

- terrible dialogue

- poor execution of an interesting idea

- Jodie Foster: awful casting choice. North America, playing a French woman, speaking english with a hint of French accent. I know she's bilingual, but she did not sound natural at all. I mean, why not just go the simple route and cast French actress? Quite a few to choose from: Eva Green, Marion Coutillard, Juliette Binoche. Even English/French actress Kristin Scott Thomas would have worked.

Pros:

- looked good

- it certainly was a movie

Yeah, what a disappointment that movie was. The premise and special effects were fantastic, but they completely screwed it up. It was like they had ideas for four movies, and tried to cram it all into one story.

I found all the attention they gave the lead assassin kind ridiculous as well. And then, just when you think he's done...crap, there he was again.

BTW, what did you think of Burke & Hare?

The Hills have eyes: 8/10 - a great horror movie with a setting I enjoyed.

The Hills have eyes 2: 3/10 - stick with the original because the sequel sucks. Copied the first one in some aspects and overall just wasn't well done.

Ah... the irony in that one... I am assuming that you are talking about the 2006 version of Hills as the "original" right? That itself was a remake of a far superior horror movie by Wes Craven in '77.

I havent posted in this thread for a while, so ill update my recent viewings:

Neighbors- 7/10 I love the Rogan/Apatow crew, This is the End was teriffic and they are the best R-Rated comedy team right now... This was a bit of a disappointment, the belly laughs were there a few times, but it was slow in between the big jokes, and a lot of the little ones were forgettable. Still recommend, and I had a good time. Perhaps some of the smaller jokes will grow on me with repeated viewings.

Monuments Men- 7/10 Its Oceans 14 in WW2 without a big heist... Great Cast (this cannot be stated enough), ok story, so-so execution.

Robocop (2014) - 2/10 God aweful. Give me the 80's classic all day... I wouldnt buy this one for a dollar.

The Other Woman - 4/10 I know I am not the target demo here; But my girl see's movies that allow my inner nerd to come out like 300, Transformers, etc. So this is payback and I am usually happy to oblige. Most rom-com's dont bother me that much, they have enough laughs and pretty girls to keep me at least interested... Not this one, Yes Kate Upton is an amazing beautiful goddess, but outside of that, this is a film for girls to bring their girlfriends on a girls night. Its an empowering woman film, barely any good laughs, even fewer for the men.

The Road - 8/10 Finally watched this one on netflix, great movie, gripping and sad.Having read the novel, this was a decent adaption.

BTW, what did you think of Burke & Hare?

I just couldn't get into it. I watched about 20 minutes and just wasn't feeling it. I'll give it another shot soon, but my initial reaction was, "meh."

So, guys, should I watch Ichi the Killer or Happiness (1998, Todd Solondz)?

Happiness is a fantastic movie. But it will make you cringe, a lot.

Plus, you'll hate this guy for the rest of your life:

MV5BNTY1MzAwNTk5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzkw

Seriously, he's forever typecast to me.

Robocop - 4/10

A mere cgi upgrade and a name-drop supporting cast doesn't exactly make this reboot worth it.

Verehoven's original is so much better in every regard sans cgi. Was not impressed with the leads' acting either, and that's comparing him to Buckaroo Banzai.

Samuel Jackson's over the top performance was tolerable until the final scene in which he turns the movie into m'fn Snakes on a Plane.

The intro scene may have been the best part of the movie. Team America World Police, w/robots?

The bad guys, the violence, the humour, ALL superior in the original. Hell even Robocop 2 may be better than this reboot.

Total Recall and this... Can't wait for the Basic Instinct reboot starring Lady Gaga or some crap like that. (Actually Scarlett Johansen seems a better fit.). At least that would be worth rebooting.

Oh yeah. Starship Troopers. Any other Verehoven films to be rebooted?

Spider-Man 2 - 6/10

Haven't watched the first one, but didn't have trouble following this one. It wasn't great, but I think it's better than the Tobey Maguire/Kirsten Dunst ones. Wouldn't be something I'd watch again though.

Spider-Man 2 - 6/10

Haven't watched the first one, but didn't have trouble following this one. It wasn't great, but I think it's better than the Tobey Maguire/Kirsten Dunst ones. Wouldn't be something I'd watch again though.

Really? Spiderman 2 (the previous one) was excellent.

Neighbours: 8/10

You know how the media is often criticized for portraying an image of women that often seems unattainable? Well, thanks Zack Efron. I now know what that's all about.

Anyway, I love comedies but haven't seen a good one in a long time. The previews for the film kind of spoiled some of the jokes, but overall I still had a good laugh. Some storylines not fully explained, so I can see other people rating it lower, but I didn't have much of an expectation regarding story-telling so I didn't

The Snowpiercer: 7.5/10

I fell asleep during this movie, but only because there was a scene with about five minutes of Korean dialogue that had no English subtitles. Probably just the version of the film I had (that's what I get for streaming).

I had already seen Non-Stop with Liam Nesson (rating: bad/10) and wasn't really in the mood for another movie set entirely on an encased moving object. However, it was certainly unique. A big pet peeve for me is when you get this futuristic post-apocalyptic-esque movies that provide very little context related to how we got to this point. I need to believe the story to be invested, and I didn't care as much about people travelling in a non-stop train without knowing too much about who they are, how they got there, and whether there are others like them. Still worth a watch.

Neighbours- 8.5/10

It was better than I expected it to be, really funny. Seth Rogen was awesome as usual, but my favourite character was the black guy who was Sam Jackson during the Robert DeNiro party.

Zac Efron has had a couple good movies since High School Musical. 17 Again was pretty good, it's still my favourite Efron movie and That Awkward Moment was decent. Neighbours was hilarious though, Zac did a good job in it. Rose Byrne and Dave Franco were also pretty funny, Rose with some killer moments. The movie was just awesome, comedy of the year so far.

Take Shelter - No review yet. I watched 40 minutes of it yesterday, my wife came home and I stopped watching it. I told her, "I have to start this over from the beginning, as you have to watch this." If the last hour and twenty minutes is anything like the first fourty, Take Shelter will easily be the best film that I've watched this year, just ahead of Dirty Pretty Things.

Take Shelter - No review yet. I watched 40 minutes of it yesterday, my wife came home and I stopped watching it. I told her, "I have to start this over from the beginning, as you have to watch this." If the last hour and twenty minutes is anything like the first fourty, Take Shelter will easily be the best film that I've watched this year, just ahead of Dirty Pretty Things.

I've been toying with the idea of watching this for like two years now. Took a sick day today, perfect opportunity to throw it on.