The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

i still haven't even seen Avatar

If you've seen Fern Gully or any episode of Captain Planet, you know the story. Still worth seeing for the visuals (IMO) but like Pi, it's a wholely different animal outside of the theatre.

Ha! I love that you posted that while I was writing my comment! :lol:

Lol, glad to see someone else feels the same why as I do.

Not at all worth your time. The film was a novelty when it came out, but now the visuals aren't that unique and you'll just be left listening to James Cameron's unbearable dialogue.

True enough, other films have adopted Avatar's techniques (Pi included) but I still think the visuals make the movie worth seeing at least once. If that seems too unbearable, there is always youtube.

As promised....

GODZILLA (2014) 8.5/10

Ok, I will try not to be long winded.

Most of the time summer blockbusters are heavy on CGI and lack character depth, this movie flips that on its head, and more than that... It actually develops characters and makes you care for them, especially Cranston, man can this guy act (even if the story is far fetched). it is a little slow moving, so those expecting explosions and destruction start to finish will be left wanting, but the monster fighting scenes do not disappoint. Granted, many will be dissapointed by the on screen time of the titular monster and his foe, but if you appreciate the cast and plot development (yes I know i may get flamed for that one in a monster/sci-fi movie) you let it slide.

To call this epic is and understatement, it is a spectacle, and from someone who has watched almost all of the 1950-1970 era godzilla films as a kid, this one is the great homage to those that Godzilla 1998 was not. The director also directed one of the most underrated sci-fi films in the past decade Monsters, and like Michael Bay, he knows his audience and how to cater to them, but unlike Bay, it is not at the expense of story. The CGI, cinemetography really lends itself to appreciate the scale and destruction. I emphasize scale because, at 300ft tall, this Godzilla is twice the size of any of the Toho era godzilla, and easily trumps Mathew Broderiks foe... And he looks it, the few times we get a full shot of the monster are awe inspiring, and just plain cool.

Go see this movie, I saw it in 3D, and for once, I am glad I did. The extra dimension helped with the grandiosity of the final battle and the destruction scenes as a whole...

MINOR SPOILER*** NOTHING PERTAINING TO MOVIE PLOT

I think I am most happy that they close this one off, yes they can do a sequel, but they didnt go the cliched route of having an obvious out for a second installment. This is a stand alone movie, and should be appreciated as such.

Edited by No_More_Larchide

As promised....

GODZILLA (2014) 8.5/10

Ok, I will try not to be long winded.

Most of the time summer blockbusters are heavy on CGI and lack character depth, this movie flips that on its head, and more than that... It actually develops characters and makes you care for them, especially Cranston, man can this guy act (even if the story is far fetched). it is a little slow moving, so those expecting explosions and destruction start to finish will be left wanting, but the monster fighting scenes do not disappoint. Granted, many will be dissapointed by the on screen time of the titular monster and his foe, but if you appreciate the cast and plot development (yes I know i may get flamed for that one in a monster/sci-fi movie) you let it slide.

To call this epic is and understatement, it is a spectacle, and from someone who has watched almost all of the 1950-1970 era godzilla films as a kid, this one is the great homage to those that Godzilla 1998 was not. The director also directed one of the most underrated sci-fi films in the past decade Monsters, and like Michael Bay, he knows his audience and how to cater to them, but unlike Bay, it is not at the expense of story. The CGI, cinemetography really lends itself to appreciate the scale and destruction. I emphasize scale because, at 300ft tall, this Godzilla is twice the size of any of the Toho era godzilla, and easily trumps Mathew Broderiks foe... And he looks it, the few times we get a full shot of the monster are awe inspiring, and just plain cool.

Go see this movie, I saw it in 3D, and for once, I am glad I did. The extra dimension helped with the grandiosity of the final battle and the destruction scenes as a whole...

MINOR SPOILER*** NOTHING PERTAINING TO MOVIE PLOT

I think I am most happy that they close this one off, yes they can do a sequel, but they didnt go the cliched route of having an obvious out for a second installment. This is a stand alone movie, and should be appreciated as such.

Awesome! Going this weekend!

Agreed.

Don't get the Avatar hate. Fantastic movie - just have to accept it for what it is, rather than bash it for what it is not.

Yeah, I don't understand the hate either. Seems to come from a lot of people who hate Titanic. The fact of the matter is that Avatar is a technical achievement and doesn't look dated at all. All it is supposed to be is a blockbuster film. That's it. And really, what were people expecting from James Cameron? Titanic, True Lies, Terminator 1/2, Aliens, The Abyss? These are not exactly deep, thought provoking films. As far as blockbuster films go, you can do a hell of a lot worse then Avatar. Edited by Monty

just out of curiosity, what else would you have on this list? i thought about my own statement, and now i'm not even sure what else i even rank all that high. can think of two or three, maybe.

So I actually watched Take Shelter for a second time, as I couldn't stop thinking about it. I'm right there with you, easily my favourite film since 2010 onwards. Not only that, I am seriously considering vaulting it into my top 5 of all time. Such a real film. The problems Shannon and Chastain run into is no different then those we would. The issues that Shannon has to deal with were handled expertly. Other films in the past have either downright botched those with

mental illness

. Or, they have not done proper reseach. Not in this case at all. In a lot of films, they are so "talky" that you can see the screenwriter patting himself/herself on the back for being so clever because of their dialogue; not so with this. It's imperative that you pay attention to what is going on, because of the subtleties, but the characters are real people who have real conversations (I'm looking at you Juno). Such a powerful film.

Agreed.

Don't get the Avatar hate. Fantastic movie - just have to accept it for what it is, rather than bash it for what it is not.

For the record, I don't "hate" Avatar myself. It's a technological achievement and an entertaining ride. But that's about where it ends for me.

I simply take issue with people over selling it as "amazing" et al. It's a fun but mindless CGI filled popcorn flick. In that context I'd probably give it an 8...maybe 8.5 out of 10. In an overall film context probably closer to 5 out of 10.

Good popcorn flick, poor film.

As for Pi, it felt to me like it was trying to be more than simply a "spiritual" Avatar and fell flat on it's face doing so. It's not even that good of a special effects/"popcorn" flick. Either it needed added depth to be a better film or it needed to be more entertaining to be a better popcorn flick.

It had two personalities, neither of which in the end stood out or was particularly intriguing IMO.

Edited by J.R.