The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Spring Breakers

3/10

dumbest movie ever

Also saw Marmaduke (kids movie) on tv. Not gonna rate it since I never finished or payed much attention to it but I did randomly see my old tutor in the film... which led me to searching him up on imdb and finding out that he was in a couple of movies.... awks

Edited by LeanBeef

Lol, according to 7thMan, don't expect too much.

Seems a lot of other people have liked it though

The Wolverine: 8.5/10

Basically everything you want from a superhero movie.

And the bullet train fight scene was intense.

Not sure if I agree with Alchemy Time's comment about The Wolverine being "everything [one would] want from a superhero movie" but it was entertaining nonetheless. Obviously the movie is based on the Japanese saga of Wolverine, so if you're not into that setting, it might already throw you off a bit from the movie. While the movie had an interesting storyline, it still deviates a tad from the comics and the plot and end-game of the movie was quite predictable (to me) from the get go.There were quite a few cheesy scenes, but some cool action scenes as well. As Alchemy Time mentioned, there was a bullet train fight scene, but IMO it bordered on unrealistic (yes, I know this is a movie about a mutant but the physics in that scene were so ridiculous) and threw me off a bit when it ran on for an extended period of time. Hugh Jackman was about as good as you'd expect in his portrayal, but some of the other characters seemed to be a bit bland at times and the chemistry was sometimes lacking. The actress who played Mariko was stunning though.

I give The Wolverine 7/10. Of course, these are just my thoughts and others may feel differently. If any of you go watch, hope you enjoy. And FYI, there's a mid-credits scene that you should stick around for!

For those who missed:

It's 2 years later and Logan is about to pass through a security check at the airport. He notices an advertisement on the airport television for Trask Industries, a company working to develop robotics. Suddenly all metal materials starts shaking and a voice behind Logan reveals himself to be Magneto with his powers back. He warns Logan that there is another threat to the existence of their kind. Logan asks why he should trust him, and realizes that everybody else in the airport has "frozen" in time. Then Professor X rolls in like a champ and assures Logan that not only is he alive, but Magneto can be trusted (this time).

For those who don't know, this is pretty huge as it leads into the next X-Men movie, Days of Future Past. The Trask Industries reference is an obvious nod to the Sentinels, who may be the threat that Magneto was talking about.

Edited by flapjacks

The Wolverine: 8.5/10

Basically everything you want from a superhero movie.

Did you also watch the Avengers series? If so, how would you rank Wolverine against those movies (Thor, Iron Man 1-3, Capt. America, Hulk)? I mean those are also pretty standard for superhero action movies (also, I'm assuming you would rank this below the Dark Knight saga, which was also good in plot?)

I'd like to hear your comparison before watching it.

Man of Steel: 7/10

Much better than I thought it would be. After the mixed reviews it was getting, I lowered my expectations considerably. I also lowered it even further as Henry Cavill as only been in two movies I've liked, Count of Monty Cristo and Stardust (both he had minor roles in). Finally, I lowered it as far down as I could have as Zack Snyder has been releasing some stinkers over the last number of years.

That said, I was thoroughly enjoyed this version of Superman. I thought they did a great job reimagining him into 2013. Doing an origin tale for Superman is tough, as we all know it. Goyer and Nolan did a fantastic job with the portrayal of Jor-El and Krypton. I honestly didn't think they would focus much on it at all, but it was handled very well.

As for casting, this is where the film came down a few pegs for me. Although Cavill did fine, he is by all accounts a horrible actor, which doesn't bode well for the future films either. Amy Adams, although usually steller, was miscast. Chrisotpher Meloni, who looks awfully similar to Mark Strong, should have been played by Mark Strong. I honestly thought weakest link in the film was Diane Lane. Role wasn't written particularly well to begin with, but she just didn't look quite right either.

Two strongest actors were first Michael Shannon, followed by Kevin Costner. Russell Crowe good too.

Trance: 3.5/10

Well, I'm too disappointed to write a huge review for this film. I love Danny Boyle, but this was his weakest film to date (yes, even behind The Beach and A Life Less Ordinary). The first half was very interesting. Setting up a unique twist on a heist film. However, I can't even get into how badly it fell apart in the second half. Just abysmal.

Parents got a new 3D TV, so i decided to test it out for them over the past couple days.

Madagascar 3(d) - 5/10 cute, good 3d, but it's no Pixar

MIB 3(D) - 7/10 great 3D, but lacking the charm of the first one.

first half of the amazing spiderman (3D)- 3D was lacking for the most part, and felt tacked on and only in certain places. movie was pretty good, but i had to shut it off when doc connor started transforming in the back of the cab because Jade woke up and decided she was starving.

also, saw Project X - 6/10, don't really like those "home movie" type of movies, for the most part. seems like they were trying too hard, but at least it was mostly entertaining, though vapid.

Chronical 8.5/10, this is how all "home movie" movies should be. show a great story, with non-unidimensional characters. really flesh out a story and why we should care about what's happening to the people within the movie. I really enjoyed it, even with the unresolved questions.

They made her Japanese because

1. Japan is a likely place to be attacked on the Pacific Rim

and

2. The whole 'Giant Robots' and 'Monsters attacking cities tropes' are staples of Japanese pop culture. It would be pretty dumb to not have a Japanese character in there.

And again, she was meant to be an actual character, not eye-candy. You'll notice there was no gratuitous body shot.

And again, your taste in women is completely subjective. If you don't like Japanese girls, thats your thing. But its not a universal thing. They're not going to re-cast an entire character who is an actual part of the story just because some dude doesn't find her particular ethnicity attractive. You could do that with any race and encounter that problem.

I've seen attractive Japanese women... just not her. Or at least not the way they made her look. I for one would have prefered if they made her look more appealing. Its Hollywood.

Not sure if I agree with Alchemy Time's comment about The Wolverine being "everything [one would] want from a superhero movie" but it was entertaining nonetheless.

I basically meant that the action scenes were awesome, the characters were badass, the plot was decent, and it didn't try to go above the superhero movie genre (the only series that has ever succeeded when they tried that was the "Dark Knight" trilogy imo)

What I meant was that the movie was really entertaining, and that's basically all I want from a superhero movie.

Edited by Alchemy Time

Did you also watch the Avengers series? If so, how would you rank Wolverine against those movies (Thor, Iron Man 1-3, Capt. America, Hulk)? I mean those are also pretty standard for superhero action movies (also, I'm assuming you would rank this below the Dark Knight saga, which was also good in plot?)

I'd like to hear your comparison before watching it.

I'd say it's better than Thor, Captain America, and the Hulk movies, but below the Dark Knight trilogy, the Iron Man trilogy, and the Avengers.

Parents got a new 3D TV, so i decided to test it out for them over the past couple days.

Madagascar 3(d) - 5/10 cute, good 3d, but it's no Pixar

MIB 3(D) - 7/10 great 3D, but lacking the charm of the first one.

first half of the amazing spiderman (3D)- 3D was lacking for the most part, and felt tacked on and only in certain places. movie was pretty good, but i had to shut it off when doc connor started transforming in the back of the cab because Jade woke up and decided she was starving.

also, saw Project X - 6/10, don't really like those "home movie" type of movies, for the most part. seems like they were trying too hard, but at least it was mostly entertaining, though vapid.

Chronical 8.5/10, this is how all "home movie" movies should be. show a great story, with non-unidimensional characters. really flesh out a story and why we should care about what's happening to the people within the movie. I really enjoyed it, even with the unresolved questions.

I have a 3D TV and just so you know, Sony doesn't really have great 3D in their movies. The only Sony movies I have seen that have fantastic 3D effects are Open Season, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and Monster House.

If you want really good 3D Blu-Ray movies then those would probably be Avatar, Avengers, Fright Night, Life of Pi, Transformers 3, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, and the 3 Animated Sony films I mentioned earlier. Also, Disney has some great 3D films.

Thor-7.5/10

Edited by Sydney Fife