The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Could you explain ...

She (Harding) was severely physically and/or mentally abused by both her mother and her husband. This in no way absolves her of what she did, but when you look at what she did, and the punishment she received, it seems pretty imbalanced. There was no actual proof of Harding's involvement. Nevertheless, she was punished far more severely than the two that were actually involved.

If it were to come out that Harding directly instructed anyone to assault Kerrigan, then my opinion obviously changes.  

• Upvote 1

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 2/10

Well that was a load of $&!#. Probably the worst of all the Marvel movies, and I've already found all of them unbearable of late.

I actually liked the first one. But it's another case where they expect you to care, rather than try and make you do so.

It was barely even a movie. Before the last 20-30 minutes I'm not sure I'd have even considered it one.

Star Wars Last Jedi - 7/10

Pleasantly surprised by this one. Characters could use work, some being utterly pointless (Finn), but the writing was far better than I expected at all. It was enjoyable, if fairly flawed.

Molly's Game 8.5/10

True story of Molly Bloom who ran a very high stakes underground poker game in LA-NYC until she was busted by the FBI for unknowingly hosting members of the Russian mafia. The game regularly included actors, athletes and Wall St types etc.

The movie is written and directed by Aaron Sorkin so it's very heavy on dialog. Which I personally like a lot.

Features Jessica Chastain who was superb along with Idris Elba and Kevin Costner.

If "player x" is really Toby Maguire as is widely rumored, what an a-hole.

The Disaster Artist - 5/10

Tough one to rate. Watched it last night with the wife, my mom, and her husband. My mom and husband enjoyed it a lot. However, they have never seen The Room or the book (audiobook is phenomenal) of The Disaster Artist.

For me, I didn’t enjoy the film. And it’s because the book (and audiobook read by Greg Sestero) is absolutely terrific. This movie really misses the things that made the book great; being the development of Greg and Tommy’s relationship, and all the details of the making of “The Room”.

I’m giving it a 5/10 based on some things it did really well. But many of the important parts that were in the book, the movie didn’t include, or couldn’t include.

My recommendation is to buy the book on tape by Greg Sestero. Far, far better than the movie. 

• Like 1

The Day The Earth Stood Still - 8.5/10

Excellent movie from the 50s, watched it alone yesterday night. I liked the message behind it, kind of relates to today's day. 

Edited by J-23
  • Upvote 1

Just now, J-23 said:

Good movie but a little overrated imo.

I'd say it's more than a little over-rated, which is a shame because for all the talking up there was/is about it being the start of a new wave of adult superhero movies it fell pretty flat for me. Bland action, predictable jokes, meh.

I never read the comics so I have nothing to compare it too other than itself.

Blood Father 2/10

I should've known this would suck.  5 min into the movie a lady is getting a tattoo done while having a smoke, the smoke is nearly complete when the next frame appears it's a freshly lit smoke.  I am not even going to get into the unbelievable story on how a 16yo girl can buy ammo but not cigarettes or how they were found in the middle of nowhere.  Save yourself 2 hrs.

8 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I want to watch it again on the big screen. Sights and sounds of it were amazing

I have no problems with the original film. But it was certainly a case of more style over substance. Not that it was an empty film. But I feel as though hardcore supporters of the original make more of it than it really is.

”Enhance.”

*10 second pause*

”Enhance.”

*25 second pause*

”Enhance.”

*40 minute pause*

Rinse and repeat.

Original is a fine film, but more a technical achievement. The sequel is actually a far more interesting story that’s written really well.