The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Canucks claimed Tom Sestito

Heretic

One aspect of the game that I never understood was drafting players. For example, Tom Sestito got 64 pts in 60 games in the OHL, and he got drafted in 3rd round 85th overall. On the other hand Colton Gillies got 47 pts in 58 games in the WHL, and he got drafted in 1st round 16th overall.

Both are big and huge guys. In junior both appeared similar, with Tom slightly better. But Tom got drafted so much later than Colton. So what gives? How do GM pick players?

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=80210

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=81559

Someone got an explanation for this?

this, he once played on the same team as james neal and check out his stats

60gp 42 g 22a 64 pts-Sestito

45gp 27g 38a 65 pts- Neal

pretty cool to see that he was only one point behind a future 82 pt scorer in the nhl

also on that team was boll, who was also rushed by columbus

And he is a true heavy wieght. He will fight players Volpatti couldn't. He is a better fit for what the canucks need. Watch him earn ice time if AV likes him. I think he will. He brings another dimention to the 4rth line.

Sestito Lapierre Weise

Starting to like this kid. Knowing AV, Sestito may see some time parked in front of the net on the PP or a shift with the Sedins following a PK. He's got that notable size and MASS that you need to bang in the playoffs. He's a size upgrade over Volpatti, remains to be seen as to what he can bring though.

And he is a true heavy wieght. He will fight players Volpatti couldn't. He is a better fit for what the canucks need. Watch him earn ice time if AV likes him. I think he will. He brings another dimention to the 4rth line.

Sestito Lapierre Weise

A voice of reason, exactly "another dimention"

What was the point of waiving Volpatti in the first place then? I do like that Sestito has slightly more offensive skill than Volpatti and I know he can do the job to bang bodies like Volpatti but there really is no difference aside from him being 6'5.

It's never perfect or there's always some little worry. Get ready for some boneheaded stuff.He won't play during the playoffs. Sorry but the Canucks have needed a guy like this. Their clean playing smurfs have done nothing. I hope this guy cracks some eye sockets. Get over it. We have small players living on the edge and you're not whining about them taking boarder line penalties now you have a big one in Sestito answering other teams dirt bags. Other teams have these types players now Vancouver does. Have you not noticed , there are a lot of dirty players and plays in the NHL. How many times have you watched a Canucks game and seen players taking liberties with Canuck players because there was no one to sort it out. Now there is. The Canucks should gladly be able to kill the penalties this guy takes.

The short video clip above - no Canuck has ever done something like that before have they? The Canucks aren't choir boys and it's self righteous to think they're a clean team in the trenches.

Gillis got what he's been lacking, more nasty size.

Also there's the chance that the three teams making moves over the last few days, Van, Wash, Philly may even be making moves for a three way trade amongst them selves involving Luongo. There is a bigger picture. It may even happen on a Saturday where the press on this day would be huge national coverage.

What was the point of waiving Volpatti in the first place then? I do like that Sestito has slightly more offensive skill than Volpatti and I know he can do the job to bang bodies like Volpatti but there really is no difference aside from him being 6'5.

Archived