The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report]Canucks would consider housing AHL team at Rogers Arena

canuckbeliever

Botchford reported this on his twitter couple of days ago but now Ben Kuzma wrote an article regarding it.

There’s Peoria, Ill. There’s Utica, N.Y. There’s Seattle and Tacoma. And then there’s Vancouver.

As the Vancouver Canucks continue to search for the best option to house the Peoria Rivermen, which the Aquilini Investment Group purchased from the St. Louis Blues on April 18, one option for the AHL affiliate could be Rogers Arena.

The home of the local NHL franchise would allow Francesco Aquilini, managing director of the family investment group that owns the Canucks and the arena, to add the second tenant he has long sought and bring another level of professional hockey to the Lower Mainland.

The Canucks had obvious interest in relocating the Rivermen to the Fraser Valley.

However, unsuccessful discussions with the City of Abbotsford over an AHL lease and the Calgary Flames’ intention of retaining their break-even supply-fee agreement to house the Heat in the 7,046-seat Abbotsford Sports and Entertainment Centre — a contract that expires in 2019 and has cost taxpayers $3.5 million — has broadened the search for a suitable site for the Rivermen.

Rogers Arena has additional dressing rooms that could easily be converted to AHL standards and the infrastructure for hockey operations, ticketing and marketing are already in place with the parent Canucks.

There are cost and logistical challenges, including territorial rights that the Fraser Valley Sports and Entertainment Group has to operate an AHL team in the region — a 50-mile radius that would impact a Vancouver franchise located 43 miles away. The Canucks would have to get AHL and FVSEG approval to operate in the area.

Canucks assistant general manager Laurence Gilman and chief operating officer Victor de Bonis met with the City of Peoria on Tuesday and continue to survey locations, but would be remiss if they didn’t check out one in their own backyard at Rogers Arena.

“It’s an option we’re going to explore,” said Canucks president and general manager Mike Gillis.

“We’re not sure there’s an advantage and it might be an opportunity to try it and see. And it’s dependent on nothing else being available that would satisfy what we like. We’re going to make sure we go through the process of understanding that first. Until we do that, we’re not going to consider this.

“We’ve received proposals from different places. Peoria would like to have the team remain there, but there are a lot of moving parts and there’s a reason the team isn’t there any longer ($400,000 US deficit this season).

“We’re looking for a short list and then you have to get into lease arrangements, price points and whether it’s viable. It’s a little premature to think about where it would end up. We’d like to have something in place by June.”

Gillis did admit that a second tenant would be attractive on several levels and ticket prices would be a fraction of the $65-$300 range for Canuck seats.

The Heat had a price range of $17-$42 this season.

“It would be a very different fan base and ticket prices are significantly different and it would create a different in-game experience,” said Gillis. “But again, it’s premature.”

An AHL team in Vancouver would affect the WHL Giants and BCHL teams in the Lower Mainland — Surrey Eagles, Coquitlam Express and Langley Rivermen. The Giants have a ticket price range of $19-$23.

“It would definitely affect us negatively,” said Giants owner Ron Toigo. “Everything affects you when you’re competing at the same price point and the Canucks are the bar everything is measured against — they do a great job promotionally and would be a tough act to compete against.”

This would be pretty awesome, but it would absolutely destroy Abbotsford. The fans would come watch the Canuck's farm team instead of Calgary's, and they already get almost no one to their games as is. Seeing as the tax payers are on the hook for the Heat, it won't make the residents in Abbotsford happy at all. It would be a big screw you to Flames ownership though for not trying to work out a swapping deal.

Its a cool idea, one I hadn't thought about at all. But ehhh... we already have the Canucks and Giants as mentioned, plus the Heat. It'd create a ton of controversy, taking bites out of their market. Also I wonder how much having two teams operating out of the same building would affect ice quality and scheduling issues. They'd still be holding concerts and such throughout the year, plus having to prepare the ice for two different hockey teams.

A team in Washington State or Oregon would be fantastic, I think. Untapped pro hockey market, and still close enough to home.

This would be pretty awesome, but it would absolutely destroy Abbotsford. The fans would come watch the Canuck's farm team instead of Calgary's, and they already get almost no one to their games as is. Seeing as the tax payers are on the hook for the Heat, it won't make the residents in Abbotsford happy at all. It would be a big screw you to Flames ownership though for not trying to work out a swapping deal.

AHL hockey will sell. Just like how Chicago Wolves and Chicago Blackhaws are co existing together in one city, Vancouver Farm team and VAncouver Canucks in one city would work, and yes, there is no doubt in my mind people will go to these games. Of course not that magnitude of of selling out like Canucks, but we are looking at 10000 11000 per night. I think it's a masterful idea.

AHL hockey will sell. Just like how Chicago Wolves and Chicago Blackhaws are co existing together in one city, Vancouver Farm team and VAncouver Canucks in one city would work, and yes, there is no doubt in my mind people will go to these games. Of course not that magnitude of of selling out like Canucks, but we are looking at 10000 11000 per night. I think it's a masterful idea.

No chance this would happen. It would be too difficult to coordinate schedules between the two teams.

And even if they could, they would have to pass on concert opportunities which generate much more revenue.

Why not Seattle? Seems like the logical choice to me.

I don't know...I don't really like the idea of sharing the arena with another hockey team.Would it affter the quality of the ice?

I think that a place like Seattle would be a good as it's still close to Vancouver and fans could drive down there to watch our prospects.

I know its unlikely but they should really put the team on the Island. Close to Van yet still has a bit of seperation. It would get tonnes of support as the Canucks are very popular here. I know there is logistical issues with the ferries and whatnot but cmon, BCHL and WHL manage...so could the AHL.

My opinion might be a tad bias though.

I know its unlikely but they should really put the team on the Island. Close to Van yet still has a bit of seperation. It would get tonnes of support as the Canucks are very popular here. I know there is logistical issues with the ferries and whatnot but cmon, BCHL and WHL manage...so could the AHL.

My opinion might be a tad bias though.

Archived