The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Sedins era is Coming to an end

RAMBUTANS

They have already peaked 2 years ago. They are actually free-falling. Once the Canucks are bounced out in this SJ series in 4 maybe 5 games, I think management should prepare for life without them, also AV. Time to pass on the baton to Kesler and maybe re-tool with new young guys they could get for the Sedins trade.

As a fellow grumpy old Canucks fan, don't let the door hit yer ___ on the way out.

Part of being a fan is following your team through the ups and downs. For every 1994, theres an equally opposite 95 or 96 season, a slide that eventually led to both drafting the twins and the West Coast Express era. If an uninspiring first round playoff is the worst a fan can go through, they are lucky. The taste of the cup will be that much sweeter if I have to stay hungry a little longer.

Yah, but some of us have been waiting a lot longer than others. If a couple more cup-less years makes you hungry, I say good for you. Come back after you've been waiting for over 40 years and see if hunger describes what you are feeling.

I am sick of henrik's excuses after every loss saying they played great, but lost blah blah blah. NOOOO!!!! The canucks didn't play great in those losses. If he really believes that, then he's delusional and one of the main reasons why this team stinks if the captain can't even smell the crap play they're producing out there!

Well game 2's over so is this still considered pre mature? Do you guys still believe in the Sedins? I'm losing faith as much as i liked them the last 2-4 years. Tell me i'm wrong but i have seen nothing but, cycle cycle cycle turn puck over from them. Or hank's pass to the slot to give SJ the tying goal. Let's be honest. They can't raise their game like Kesler can. Time to move them after or make them 2nd line players. Playoffs are about heart and honestly they just dont have it. Kesler lead by example, 22 and 33 should take note. Too much talk pre game and post game from them. Put the puck in the net. Stop passing it and take it to the house. Too much perimeter play from them. Throw the damn puck on net and crash it. Take the hits.

I respect the twins and what they've accomplished here in Van and I'm sure we'll all look back with pride and awe at what a wonderful era of Canuck hockey we've just witnessed. But this is starting to look, feel and sound like the last couple of years of Markus Naslund's time as captain here in Vancouver.

The same cliche answers every interview. No fire, no anger, and no longer the ability to make a difference in important games.

All that's remaining is for Hank to pick up the mic and tell us all how they choked.

I think they need to move down the depth chart once their contract is up. They'll be nhl caliber players for years to come, in my opinion, but I have my doubts that we'll ever see 75-100 points out of them again. That being said, if we could find some elite affordable talent, the Sedins should retire Canucks and finish their careers here in lesser roles.

I am sick of henrik's excuses after every loss saying they played great, but lost blah blah blah. NOOOO!!!! The canucks didn't play great in those losses. If he really believes that, then he's delusional and one of the main reasons why this team stinks if the captain can't even smell the crap play they're producing out there!

Yeah its true that the sedins have been downfalling, but im sure its just bad timing. they can start ripping it up again, they've just been really inconsistant. But AV era should end. I mean he's a great coach but the team has learned all they can from him and his 7 years here. New style, new system lets give it a try.

It aint over till its over, but I do agree that the Sedins act of consistent dominance is over. I still think we'll see flashes for the next year, and even this playoff, but theyre NOT getting traded. Their contracts will expire after next season, and there will be some decisions to be made. While they may opt to MODO in the SEL, or look for another NHL club, I feel it's in the Canucks best interest to move on, UNLESS they sign for insane discounts, while picking up a top UFA or two for a final crack at Stanley, a scenario and parting gift I could see the twins lay down.

At the moment, they do not seem at all to be the leaders of this team. Bieksa, Kesler, and Schneider look to me to be the guys that this team looks to take it upon themselves to win a game. If the Canucks are to have any shot, theyll need their two highest skilled forwards to take the reigns the way Kesler did last night, and show the rest of the club that they can still win games on their own.

It's heartbreaking to see Daniel struggle so much out there. It's like he's lost all his confidence to score goals. I don't get it.

Kesler looked like his 40 goal scoring form last night. We need Daniel to find his, and quickly.

The Sedins came under the radar 2 years ago.

Now that the league has figured them out, they had nowhere else to go.

lt's the GM's and the coaches job to adjust to this.

Unfortunately they are both living in the past.

Kesler should have been the captain of this team since last year.

Schneids should have been traded, being more valuable than Luongo who they can't trade anyway.

Edler has turned soft and scared to injure other people, what;s his business being a defenceman in this league?

There still amazing to our power play control puck most of the time and are not bad defensively I feel like its time to give kassian his fair shot at playing first line with them he plays solid after penalty kills with them and burrows and kes play outstanding with each other. Sedins come at a good price for the points they put up and most likely will sign for cheap on next contract or there gone. Remember guys bruins came back from 2 games down 3 times in there cup win twice they lost 2 home games I've seen canucks go on bigger winning streaks than 4 games

It has been a fun ride. I have been a Canuck fan since I was 11 years old. Now, after 36 years , I am ready to move on. Thirty six years. Can you imagine? I hope you younger kids stay canuck fans as long as I have and enjoy the team regardless of whether they suck or not. Having a hockey team in a Canadian city is a huge honour , and we are blessed to have it.

We are also blessed to have this site. Although not perfect, I has certainly come a long way since I first arrived in 2007. Back in those days people were still yelling and screaming obscenities at each other and the mods would choose to ignore it for their buddies and call others out on it.

Now it is far more objective. Stealth nuck and his team have done a marvelous job as they have matured.

However, being a hockey fan really is a teenager or 20 something year olds kind of thing, and I believe I held out this long because the Canucks had never won the cup before. They still havent, but it would not mean anywhere near as much to me as it did back in 1994 .The 82 cup run was our first and was thrilling, but we had no actual chance to win the cup. The Canucks have had three games to win the stanley cup.

Once in that june day in New york , once in Boston, and once right in Rogers Arena. One win we would never get.

The 2011 team should have won and when they fell apart, I didnt feel as bad as I thought I would. I felt bad for all the kids who I knew were going to replay that series for the next 20 years in their heads as it was the first time they had seen the Canucks on the verge of winning the cup. I had my replay of game 7 at Madison Square Garden 17 years prior , which will always haunt me.

If and when the team does finally win the cup, and it does not look like this core group will, I will be so proud of the city . But it will not be my victory. It will be for the city of Vancouver, all its fans, but most of all, for the professional athletes who play the game.

Hockey is Canada's game. I believe it always will be. I toast the next generation of fans who feel its very important to track how the hockey team is doing. Make believing we are on the team, best buddies with the players, and scoring the goal to win the cup. I will never forget those dreams.

My hope is that this new generation's dreams come true.

Signing off. An honest and loyal Canuck fan.

Archived