The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Care to explain?

I heard this too..

Apparently some protein supplement companies were caught underfilling their products. Instead of 100% whey it would be like 50 to 75 and the rest was all weak amino acids/fillers.

That is why I started to buy 100% unflavored whey protein in bulk with no added fillers at bulk barn

This..

What some people don't understand is protein shakes are supplements..and are not meant to be your main source of protein.

1 or 2 scoops a day is fine if you mix with whole foods, but 10 scoops a day and a crappy diet is bad.

This.

Few other things I was told.

ON is really good at marketing, that's why its reviewed as the number 1 protein everywhere, easily found promo codes and they were recently acquired by a chinese company. Now, it is unclear where the product is coming from and how it is made.

Edited by Armada

Like this stuff??

Liquid-pasteurized-egg-whites-pints.jpg

Yes, but just like with buying eggs look for a quality product.

Even though it's cheaper to just buy protein powder, if you make your own with some common whole food ingredients you can avoid some of the crap they add in the powders like fillers, additives, etc..

Also eating raw eggs is just asking for trouble..

• 4 months later...

Bump.

Anyone here a runner/triathlete? I took up running this summer and ran my second half marathon on Saturday - last until maybe February once I figure a race schedule out.

Have to put together a proper routine to prep over the winter (Alberta winters) & continue to lose the rest of the weight I need to. Should be of great help as running at my weight is a lot of stress on the joints.

Bump.

Anyone here a runner/triathlete? I took up running this summer and ran my second half marathon on Saturday - last until maybe February once I figure a race schedule out.

Have to put together a proper routine to prep over the winter (Alberta winters) & continue to lose the rest of the weight I need to. Should be of great help as running at my weight is a lot of stress on the joints.

I love running....and swimming now.

i started committing to consistent runs just over two years ago.  I was doing great until I got to just over 15k runs and started getting pain in the back of my hip...I couldn't shake it so I started swimming a few times per week last fall....id do shorter runs 6-8km on the treadmill during (Saskatoon winters) but immediately follow with a quick front crawl 1.5km swim..

I find it really tough to break the 15km though - running that is.  I'm a carpenter and I'll work 10-12 hour days  anywhere from 25-35 days in a row then a couple weeks off . I'm 39 and basically I think I'm just not getting enough calories or rest to get into longer distances.  My cardio is totally fine. I'm carrying a 190lb body weight too so that's not helping. I can't afford to get much lighter as I need the strength/weight/leverage for work especially in winter when it gets stupid cold.  Once it gets to about -15 to -20 I run inside.

Swimming has proven to be a great low resistance workout as well for me. I've noticed range of motion and posture improvements as a result.

ive never raced or competed.  I suppose some sort of amateur half triathlon would be cool.  And I would love to do a half marathon at least but I'm sure that I will have to take my time  adjusting to 15-20+km and somehow reduce my work schedule (ya right!)

but it if I don't race no biggie.  I just enjoy zoning out with my tunes and trails (when I'm home).

Good luck.

and you'll enjoy this:

http://digg.com/video/marathon-runner-didnt-tell-anyone

• 4 weeks later...

I reinstated my gym membership today.  I am not sure if I will go or not, but the reason behind it is that I really want to lose 20 pounds, that's all.  I'm an outdoors person.  I enjoy going to the park, mountains, beaches, lakes, walking, but it's getting cold out.

26 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Full on bulk for me right now, trying to keep it relatively clean though. 

Up to about 210, goal is 220 before starting the cut. 

It's impossible for me :lol: Putting weight is so much easier. I cut something like 20lbs a couple years ago but now I can't really do anything before my weight goes right back to where it was. Same weight routine - less calories. In vs out. Should work, guess not..

Men, I think I am breaking down and becoming brittle at the young age of 26. A sketchy knee. A bad disk in my lower back I still need physio for I guess (not sure how stretches and some vibrating pad fix that to be honest). A bad left pec that nearly killed me the other night somehow, some way, and I'm not sure if it's actually better even though I don't feel it now. I used to have professional athelete strength now I'm just a weak little bish. :lol:

13 hours ago, brilac said:

I reinstated my gym membership today.  I am not sure if I will go or not, but the reason behind it is that I really want to lose 20 pounds, that's all.  I'm an outdoors person.  I enjoy going to the park, mountains, beaches, lakes, walking, but it's getting cold out.

Diet.

If you're already active, exercise is a tough way to lose weight. It definitely helps, but your diet needs to be better to lose weight.

• Upvote 1

On October 26, 2015 at 11:26:33 PM, riffraff said:

I love running....and swimming now.

i started committing to consistent runs just over two years ago.  I was doing great until I got to just over 15k runs and started getting pain in the back of my hip...I couldn't shake it so I started swimming a few times per week last fall....id do shorter runs 6-8km on the treadmill during (Saskatoon winters) but immediately follow with a quick front crawl 1.5km swim..

I find it really tough to break the 15km though - running that is.  I'm a carpenter and I'll work 10-12 hour days  anywhere from 25-35 days in a row then a couple weeks off . I'm 39 and basically I think I'm just not getting enough calories or rest to get into longer distances.  My cardio is totally fine. I'm carrying a 190lb body weight too so that's not helping. I can't afford to get much lighter as I need the strength/weight/leverage for work especially in winter when it gets stupid cold.  Once it gets to about -15 to -20 I run inside.

Swimming has proven to be a great low resistance workout as well for me. I've noticed range of motion and posture improvements as a result.

ive never raced or competed.  I suppose some sort of amateur half triathlon would be cool.  And I would love to do a half marathon at least but I'm sure that I will have to take my time  adjusting to 15-20+km and somehow reduce my work schedule (ya right!)

but it if I don't race no biggie.  I just enjoy zoning out with my tunes and trails (when I'm home).

Good luck.

and you'll enjoy this:

http://digg.com/video/marathon-runner-didnt-tell-anyone

The first person who ran a marathon died immediately after it's completion, which to my mind says a lot about how good marathons are for you. I've done a few amateur 5K runs, and done a couple 10K's for training purposes, but I find I get bored & also get little pains here & there, knees, shins, etc. after like 8K.

I really enjoying biking, I never get any of those pains, can go for hours & it's awesome how much of the city you can get to see while riding around. (Saskatoon here also!)

Just recently got back into the weight room after rehabbing  a shoulder injury the last 6 months, didn't lose much size but a lot of strength & endurance.  

16 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Men, I think I am breaking down and becoming brittle at the young age of 26. A sketchy knee. A bad disk in my lower back I still need physio for I guess (not sure how stretches and some vibrating pad fix that to be honest). A bad left pec that nearly killed me the other night somehow, some way, and I'm not sure if it's actually better even though I don't feel it now. I used to have professional athelete strength now I'm just a weak little bish. :lol:

Dawg I feel your pain. I'm 26 as well and I've put my body through hell over the years with playing hockey, rugby, martial arts, years in the military, and now a physical career that doesn't do me much justice. I still train hard in the gym but my joints are shot as I have tendinitis in my elbows and wrists, a terrible back that needs some serious treatment, and a history of being a bandaid in general. At my age I should be in the prime of my life but instead I feel I have the body of a 45 year old. Keep on keepin' on.