The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Corey Schneider is in play

edm I want one of eberle hall yak rnh +1st

philly I want bschenn or couturier +1st

I really dont want anything from the isles. I hope he doesnt trade with them

florida huberdeau +2nd or bjaustad+1st

dont know if I want anything from tampa. I dont know much about that team past their roster.

colorados 1st overall I think would suffice for scheids

Yes he is but doing this kind of not only screws over Lu but Cory as well. You can tell at the last half of the season Lu kind wants out of Vancouver and Cory was expecting to be the #1 goalie in Van. Now management is not only treating Lu but Cory as expendable assets in Vancouver is not ideal regardless who stays.

I say buying Lu makes sense since it gives Lu options to go where he wants while MG promising fans the he wants the team to get younger. Win-Win in my books (well maybe not the owners who have to pay for the buy out).

I was thinking about this last night.

If the compliance buyout is off the table, Gillis might be faced with a situation where the only way to move Luongo is by retaining cap/salary at 20% or more.

In that situation, it becomes financially prudent to move Schneider, as Luongo's cap hit < Schneider + retained salary from Luongo trade.

As far as talent, they're currently a coin flip (possibly with Luongo better in the immediate future). I have no doubts that Schneider eventually passes Luongo (especially as Lu ages and declines) but there's a good chance that Lack or Eriksson step-up by that point.

If Luongo's willing to be part of a re-set in Vancouver, then this makes a lot of sense.

And that's not even considering the vastly improved personnel return that comes with trading Schneider instead of Luongo.

This is the second post of yours that oozes trollfaced defiance, so I have to say something.

A buyout of Luongo in no way shape or form makes "sense", it's poor asset management. This is a business, not an Oprah special where feelings matter. Winning matters, pure and simple.

Luongo still, despite what all the haters say (myself included) has Vezina caliber play left in him for at LEAST the next two seasons. If you couple that with the knowledge of a Schneider trade returning valuable youth and assets to the organization, trading Schneider is what makes sense.

If you look at Lack and Eriksson coming up the pipeline, Luongo having 2 years of elite level play in him, combined with the youth and skill acquired in the Schneider deal, it's the best scenario for the organization going forward.

Lets say Luongo is bought out, Schneider rides as the #1. In two years, he's an expiring UFA and going to be commanding a higher cap hit than what Luongo is presently making, more than likely won't leave money on the table and dwindling youth and escalating ages through the roster... we become Calgary 2.0 in 4 years if we don't trade Schneider this weekend.

Archived