The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Corey Schneider is in play

Also: don't be shocked to your core if both goalies are gone in a week. Just a creeping thought, but if we get rid of both Lu and Cory and bring in valuable assets galore and sign one of the FA goalies, who knows right? the 9.33m goaltending cap hit could be gone and replaced with a 5million cap hit combined for the starter and the backup, while we stock up on picks prospects and fill a few holes up front

The return for Scheneider wouldn't even be that good. One way or another teams know the Canucks are dealing out of place of desperation and that is not a recipe for a solid return.

Trading Corey for a draft pick makes absolutely no sense either because it doesn't help them in the shortrun and the only possible rationale for keeping Lou instead is to win in the shortrun. But, guess what? The Canucks aren't good enough to win in the shortrun anyways. They should be beginning their retool now while still trying to remain competitive. They can't do that by keeping Lou though because there is a good chance Lou will only be a effective goalie for 3 more years in the league. His play is already on the decline and if the Canucks do keep him they will still be stuck with his horrible contract which under the new CBA will be an albatross around the teams neck for years to come.

The Canucks have to get out from under Lou's contract ASAP. Since it is obvious that no other teams want him that means buyout. In the longrun $27 million would seem cheap in comparsion to having a old goalie who can't play anymore in 3 years but still has 5 years left on his contract.

If MG planned this, and is putting our best asset in play he better know what he's doing and not frack this up. This decision would shift the whole organization in a new direction and he better get us the best return possible. I still have faith in MG, and this trade would be one of his most defining moments as our GM, and also one of the most important trades this organization has ever seen.

anyone with half a brain knows this isn't happening. Luongo doesn't want to be here. He was asked if he would stay if he was #1 and Schneider was traded and he made it clear it's time to move on. People shouldn't believe everything they read on TSN

I agree...its simple negotiation

1. everyone knows buyout or no lou deal

2. Acqua man won't buy out

3. So you need to move a goalie = CS

4. But given 1,2 above, CS value declines because you are over a barrell. 20 ml buyout or discount on CS

well done MG

well done..

FIRE THE IDIOT

I feel bad for Schneider he didn't re-sign with the Canucks only to be traded a season later. He signed so he can be the #1 goalie for a cup contending team.

For me i say just buy out Lu. You won't get a return from him but at least you keep Cory and free up some much needed cap space.

Team 1040 talked about this the other day. Actually did a phone in poll of sorts. MOST that phoned in suggested the Schneider trade would be best for the team and garner the greatest return. (as opposed to trading Luongo for a bag of pucks) I agree.

edm I want one of eberle hall yak rnh +1st

philly I want bschenn or couturier +1st

I really dont want anything from the isles. I hope he doesnt trade with them

florida huberdeau +2nd or bjaustad+1st

dont know if I want anything from tampa. I dont know much about that team past their roster.

colorados 1st overall I think would suffice for scheids

Clever strategy by MG, but just that - a negotiating strategy.  

Artificially drive up the price for a starting goalie by asking for the sun and stars for your own starting goalie (Schneids), and then quietly accept a reasonable (if not slightly below market value because of the contract) return for your own other starting goalie.The more you examine this strategy the more brilliant it seems.  You want Schneids, you can have him if you give us the future of your team. You wan Lu instead, just give us a top 6 forward or a prospect and a reasonable pick.

Archived