The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

kopitar is like that also. kopitar is a short player but appears alot bigger on the ice

Do you mean Anze? Kopitar is 6'3 though, not short imo (same height as kassian pretty much). Maybe Shinkaruk in comparison to his other junior players looks big.

Of course if he were in the NHL that perception of Shink may change, there's a lot larger players than in juniors.

favorite thing about this kid is how much he loves to score.

Yeah comes at the goalie with speed and from the top of the circle has his head up and looking at the goaltender all the time, nice hands and the puck just sticks to him. NHL goalies are a whole different level tho, but it looks like the kid wants to score instead of just trying to score.

Gotta love the mitts in tight!

I am more excited about Shinkaruk than Horvat. We haven't really had a pure offensive guy on this team in a long time. I look forward to seeing what he can do over the next few years.

IMO he's a highrisk high reward sort of selection and I give the management/scouts high marks for taking that gamble. Can he transission his Junior size and skill to the same a effect in the NHL....if he can the reward will be immense. Don't judge him on the pre season camp...remember Stever Kariya

Do you mean Anze? Kopitar is 6'3 though, not short imo (same height as kassian pretty much). Maybe Shinkaruk in comparison to his other junior players looks big.

Of course if he were in the NHL that perception of Shink may change, there's a lot larger players than in juniors.

. not sure why he listed so tall. even numerous broadcaster state how small he is off ice and how large he is on.

Wow, I'd say we could use some of this come shootout time.  Without looking at any stats I'd say we're one of the worst in the league (could be wrong though).

at first, i was making fun of the goalies for not knowing what he's going to do... then he started scoring all over the net. my favorite was the first 5 hole shot the showed. soooooo buttery

at first, i was making fun of the goalies for not knowing what he's going to do... then he started scoring all over the net. my favorite was the first 5 hole shot the showed. soooooo buttery

Agreed. At first I thought "these all look pretty similar" but then you see that as goalies learn what he's done in the past, he just uses that to make them overcompensate and open a hole somewhere else.

On a separate note I feel like this thread just needs some more "Holy crap, how did we get Shinkaruk!?!?!". I remember hearing about this kid in 2010, then some more in 2011 and just knew he was gonna go high. I still can't believe we got him but I equally can't believe some of the picks before him. GMs had been hitting the pipe before that draft.

Shinkurak was passed over in his bantam draft and fell pretty far down in the 1st round because people said he was too small and he wouldn't be able to score like he did in his current league. They were wrong.

Shinkurak was passed over in his NHL draft and fell pretty far down in the 1st round because people said he was too small and he wouldn't be able to score like he did in his current league. Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it.

IMO he's a highrisk high reward sort of selection and I give the management/scouts high marks for taking that gamble. Can he transission his Junior size and skill to the same a effect in the NHL....if he can the reward will be immense. Don't judge him on the pre season camp...remember Stever Kariya

What about Kariya? I was to young to know about that stuff

Not sure why there is so much concern with his size. He will likely be the same size as Markus Naslund when he makes the show, 5'11 190-195 pounds.

I didn't start filling out till last year when I was 20, he's only 18...

Size may have been a concern in the draft but he has plenty of space to grow and get bigger

Not sure why there is so much concern with his size. He will likely be the same size as Markus Naslund when he makes the show, 5'11 190-195 pounds.

I didn't start filling out till last year when I was 20, he's only 18...

Yeah. My uncle was 5'9 160 until second year of University (when he was 20ish) and he grew to 6'1 and now he's about 190.

(I just turned 18 and Im, 5'10 175 right now and really hope this happens to me)

Shinkaruks dad looked to be around 6' or 6'1 and he will fill out more. He just needs to work on his strength on his skates

On a separate note I feel like this thread just needs some more "Holy crap, how did we get Shinkaruk!?!?!". I remember hearing about this kid in 2010, then some more in 2011 and just knew he was gonna go high. I still can't believe we got him but I equally can't believe some of the picks before him. GMs had been hitting the pipe before that draft.

I still can't believe it honestly

What's wrong with his character...?

I haven't heard anything bad about his character. If anything he looks like one of the most positive people I've ever seen.

It looks like he has a really nice family too from the interview I watched.

Archived