The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

Why, Poirier has 17G19A36P in 25GP and is #6 in QMJHL scoring. He was a solid pick.

Hunter only has 5G11A16P in 16GP - only PPG pace right now.

I think Hunter has better skills, but Poirier is a faster skater and more tenacious.

We needed Hunter, and I guess Calgary desired the traits that Poirier had.

If I was a Flames fan, I wouldn't be butthurt at all. Yet, at least. Hunter is not leaps and bounds above Poirier. At this point, it's still a very close race. I think Hunter will be a better player but that isn't a fact yet.

Poirier plays in the QMJHL. Shinkaruk plays in the WHL.

/end debate

/end debate

http://www.behindthenet.ca/projecting_to_nhl.php

Interesting read on projecting players stats from one league to the other. The projection of points per game from the WHL and the Q really aren't that different according to this site. For every point scored in teh WHL equals a projected 0.3pts in the NHL and evbery Q point is 0.28 in the NHL. Which means Hunters NHL projection is 0.3 PPG whereas Poirers 1.41 PPG pace is projected at 0.4 in the NHL. That being said I think Hunter is just in a mini slump right now (if you can call a PPG pace a slump) and he'll end us as the better player.

I don't understand the comparisons with Pat Kane and Phil Kessel. Shinkaruk really isn't all that fast a skater for someone his size. Not even close to a Phil Kessel and has hands no where near Patrick Kane.

His shot is hard and accurate but his release is long. Needs to improve that at the NHL level.

As for stats between the different leagues.... shouldnt matter. How about we focus on his personal stats and how they've been declining yearly?

His only shot to makwe WJ team is to completely have a monstrous camp.

/end debate

Hardly.

Poirier put up more points in preseason for Calgary than Hunter did for Vancouver. You can't neglect a player's production because of the league he plays in. Poirier is a good young player with sandpaper and tonnes of speed.

His upside is lower than Shinkaruk because Shinkaruk is still a more skilled player. However, Poirier's speed and size could pan out to make him a more effective player than Shinkaruk at the NHL level. The conventional pick was Hunter, but Calgary did not do poorly in picking Poirier.

This debate is very much relevant and far from over until both players play a few seasons in the NHL.

Hardly.

Poirier put up more points in preseason for Calgary than Hunter did for Vancouver. You can't neglect a player's production because of the league he plays in. Poirier is a good young player with sandpaper and tonnes of speed.

His upside is lower than Shinkaruk because Shinkaruk is still a more skilled player. However, Poirier's speed and size could pan out to make him a more effective player than Shinkaruk at the NHL level. The conventional pick was Hunter, but Calgary did not do poorly in picking Poirier.

This debate is very much relevant and far from over until both players play a few seasons in the NHL.

I completely concur, Emile Poirier is going to be in the HHOF one day for that dominant pre-season performance in 2013.

Hunter Shinkaruk is the next santorelli at best.

I completely agree with your post.

Hardly.

i agree with the last sentence. i think if you look at the flames 3 first rounders they selected a solid group of forwards. but on the same token the canucks made 2 very good picks as well. i just don't see any of those 5 guys not making the NHL. i was certainly confused by calgary skipping hunter, but at the end of the day they got 2 good players at the end of the draft in porier and klimchuk. both teams did a good job of making picks that bring different skill sets to the table.

didn't see much from poirier at the subway series; though playing with gauthier didn't help. he did lay out zykov in the second game though.

hunter and flames other pick klimchuk will be playing together for the whl in the next few days. looking forward to seeing hunter; hopefully he lights it up

i agree with the last sentence. i think if you look at the flames 3 first rounders they selected a solid group of forwards. but on the same token the canucks made 2 very good picks as well. i just don't see any of those 5 guys not making the NHL. i was certainly confused by calgary skipping hunter, but at the end of the day they got 2 good players at the end of the draft in porier and klimchuk. both teams did a good job of making picks that bring different skill sets to the table.

I agree. I don't get why one team has to outright lose when they didn't pick a player. Can't both teams picked up a decent prospect at their respective drafting position?

Hardly.

Pre season means nothing as one year, Magnus Svesson put up 9 points in 4 pre season games. Not sure why you also brought up Poirier.

Pre season means nothing as one year, Magnus Svesson put up 9 points in 4 pre season games. Not sure why you also brought up Poirier.

Because the OP I responded to was calling someone who talked negatively of Hunter as being a "Butthurt Flames fan."

Why does every post on here have to claim shink is either a bust or a future HOF'er?

Can't we just patiently wait and comment on his progress instead of trying to predict the future all Of the time?

That's the nature of CDC everything is black or white, bust or saviour, doesn't matter who it is.

Archived