The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

according to Babcock, when he was talking about the selection of skaters for Team Canada on a big ice level, speed is not the most important factor but the play without the puck

i know Shinkaruk has good forechecking skills but other than that ...i think sutter's requirements for a team to play on a big ice level should be similar to the Babcock's idea

You need speed to play well without the puck too.

Shinkaruk should excel on bigger ice because of his speed and creativity.

He's bigger, plays with more physicality and edge, and much faster. Right now the Flames are looking good for passing on Shinkaruk like a lot of other teams did.

Must of been some red flag with him during interviews or something for him to drop so much based on his pre draft rankings.

Dang bro, I can't wait to see Emile Poirier rip it up at the WJC.

Poirier should of made it think the dude lit it up 3g 5a +5 last 3 games. Also heard a good interview from Shink on the FAN960 in Calgary today..found a link for you guys.

http://pmd.fan960.com/audio_on_demand_2013/Hunter-Shinkaruk-w-Pat-Steinberg-ps-20131202-Interview.mp3

Nice interview. Shinkaruk has a great attitude and is no dummy either. The future can't come soon enough!

Calm down everybody. He hasn't made the team yet. He's a bubble guy, for sure. He's going to have a long bit of rope though as Sutter knows him really very well. I am hoping for -Shinkaruk-Horvat-Drouin on one line.

Drouin is the best forward on Team Canada... He'll be on the #1 line.

Horvat for sure won't be the #1 center, and Hunter has a shot at the other wing depending on how hot he starts the tournament. But I can see Hunter being on the 2nd line wing with Horvat. That'd be great to see.

I think with Shinkaruk it's a lack of motivation. He plays in the pre-season and almost makes the team so he already has tasted the NHL dream. I believe Shinkaruk can easily dominate the WHL again but he is just distracted by the thought of NHL hockey.

Doubt it. He had to have been motivated to play well to make the WJC team (he has despite his poor season by his standards so far).

Calm down everybody. He hasn't made the team yet. He's a bubble guy, for sure. He's going to have a long bit of rope though as Sutter knows him really very well. I am hoping for -Shinkaruk-Horvat-Drouin on one line.

I think he is more than a bubble guy.

Shinkaruk has shown well for Canada at the U18s, the subway supers series, and even in the lake placid summer camp games. The good impression made in international games carries a lot of weight. I say he makes it.

Drouin is the best forward on Team Canada... He'll be on the #1 line.

Horvat for sure won't be the #1 center, and Hunter has a shot at the other wing depending on how hot he starts the tournament. But I can see Hunter being on the 2nd line wing with Horvat. That'd be great to see.

I think he has a good chance at being the 1st line center. Bo Horvat is matching all of the other centers in offensive stats and he's just as good if not better defensively than all of them.

I think he has a good chance at being the 1st line center. Bo Horvat is matching all of the other centers in offensive stats and he's just as good if not better defensively than all of them.

Laughton's to lose though, at least to start. Horvat could make his way onto being the #1 if Laughton struggles or he just wills and scores himself there. If the Flames loan Monahan (they're tanking anyways and it will be good for his development) then Horvat for sure isn't going to be #1, but could battle Laughton for the #2.

Laughton's to lose though, at least to start. Horvat could make his way onto being the #1 if Laughton struggles or he just wills and scores himself there. If the Flames loan Monahan (they're tanking anyways and it will be good for his development) then Horvat for sure isn't going to be #1, but could battle Laughton for the #2.

Flames wont let him go, they said today even when he comes back from injury they want him to stay with the big club

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=694276&navid=nhl:topheads

It's tough to say what line Horvat will center, if he plays center during the tournament. Didn't Sutter have him on LW for a few games? And with how many centers team Canada has, I wouldn't be surprised if he was shifted. Laughton, Gauthier, McDavid, Reinhart, Lazar and Horvat all centers. I know Reinhart has been praised for being a player that can play all 3 forward positions and I also think Lazar has played some LW like Horvat.

I also read somewhere that the QMJHLs top line during the subway series was really good, I think it was Drouin - Gauthier - Mantha. While Gauthier isn't what would consider Canada's top centre prospect, you have to respect any line with Drouin on it is Canada's top line.

This is what I think the lines could end up looking like:

Drouin-Gauthier-Mantha

Horvat-Laughton-Anderson

Hudon-Lazar-Rychel

Shinkaruk-McDavid-Reinhart

Petan

Drouin-Gauthier-Mantha

Speed and size. Gauthier and Mantha creating tons of space for Drouin because of their size.

Horvat-Laughton-Anderson

Although Anderson is more of a third or 4th line guy, he gets elevated here to play with Knight's teammate Horvat. Horvat and Laughton are both good playmakers and finishers, having a guy who can retrieve Pucks for them makes this line work. Horvat and Laughton also work hard below the goal line. This could give teams nightmares just on their forehead alone.

Hudon-Lazar-Rychel

Rychel and Anderson could easily switch lines here. Hudon has been a favorite for a lot of fans because of how hard he plays the game for his size. All players on this line are guys that have offensive games but are reliable defensively and are all plus skaters.

Looking at the roster like this, I have a tough time thinking both Petan and Shinkaruk make the roster in favour of another energy guys like Girard because of the skill already available on the other 3 lines.

Shinkaruk/Petan-McDavid-Reinhart

A skilled "4th line". McDavid and Reinhart have been paired together in the past. Anyone on this line could be left of, solely for making a tougher, harder to play against 4th line. I think that's Sutters MO. But considering both your 2nf and 3rd line respectively are good enough in all areas of the ice, a purely talented offensive line could be huge in close games.

I love what Gillis did with his selection of Shinkaruk. He already had Horvat in his pocket and with 2 first round pick ( I can't recall the last time ) Gillis rolled the dice on a offensive goal scorer. It might work and he becomes a scoring phenom and he might be a bust but heck he give it a go. This kid could be a Patrick Kane sort of player or he could become another Schroeder.

Not impressed with his performance at all so far. Has regressed tremendously IMO. Not even a point a game now in the WHL. Compare his stats to his first season in the WHL, 2nd season, and now third you can see a down hill regression in performance. Where have we seen this before? Remember Esposito?

I'm starting to understand why teams passed on him.

The Flames have already said they aren't loaning Monahan.

I also think Horvat is a step above Laughton in terms of being a complete player, even though he's a year younger.

Archived