The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Hodgson Extensions talks started

I said to more than a few people fairly clearly that this would be settled in 2-3 years after the trade. We are not even 1 full season in.

Hodgson will indeed go forward and make us all very VERY sad he was traded, more so than Schneider. The kid has skill and he warrants $4-$5 million end of story.

Something tells me that if the internet was around in the late 80's we would have been hailing the coming of Barry Pederson and saying how Cam Neely was a whining bum not worth the money and wouldn't amount to anything.

Im with you on this MikeBurn

I swear people are still in denial here and bashing cody seems to be their defense mechanism they have chosen to deal with it lol. The kid has been praised at every level on his character. It sucks losing him but it's time to move on. He's a talented kid, and the sooner you guys let go the better cause he's only gonna get better.

Im with you on this MikeBurn

I swear people are still in denial here and bashing cody seems to be their defense mechanism they have chosen to deal with it lol. The kid has been praised at every level on his character. It sucks losing him but it's time to move on. He's a talented kid, and the sooner you guys let go the better cause he's only gonna get better.

He was a prima donna, his dad was a politician and rubbed off on his son, wasn't a team player, he isn't on the team anymore...

why do people still bring him up here?!!

I guess some things will never change. This fan base doesn't deserve to win a cup, and that's perfect, because we won't!!

The frustrating part of all of this is that the Canucks just traded Cory Schneider for a kid that has virtually the same pedigree as Cody Hodgson. Everything they are saying about Horvat was said about Hodgson. Even the stuff about being a two way player. It makes me shake my head that this team had Cody Hodgson and Cory Schneider and now they have Zack Kassian and Bo Horvat. I have nothing against those two players at all. I think Horvat is awesome but all these supposed "deals" to get younger and build the depth were done with the best assets the team had.

It is OK to move players but is the team really better with the players acquired from these two players?

It still boggles my mind that two players developed in Vancouver who are on the verge of becoming stars were moved out for younger players with potential. How is that improvement?

He was a prima donna, his dad was a politician and rubbed off on his son, wasn't a team player, he isn't on the team anymore...

why do people still bring him up here?!!

I guess some things will never change. This fan base doesn't deserve to win a cup, and that's perfect, because we won't!!

Huh? Where do you get this stuff from, Gillis? The same Gillis who wasn't straight up about Naslund (not even a token offer after his last game), tried to shunt fault onto Morrison for wanting more than the Canucks offered after his tryout (when really there wasn't an any offer), played games at the expense of Malholtra's career (two years after he was injured, magically deciding the guy was a risk to himself, and now leaving Malholtra to look for a new team), and now rather than manning-up, instead blames his lack of a "crystal ball" for entirely screwing with Lu and Cory - THAT Gillis?

Do you realize that no one other than the Canucks management, notably Gillis in his post Hodgson trade commentary, has questioned Hodgson's character throughout his development? Do you realize that if he was such an ego-driven punk before the trade, he'd have only been worse after getting what he wanted, and yet Buffalo's coaching staff and linemates also have reported nothing but glowing commentary about the kid?

While Gillis, who has made it a habit of throwing players under the bus rather than man-up to his own errors, infers that Hodgson has a character problem and even admits to having deliberately tried to scam other GM's by making the kid look better than he is, and YOU actually believe him???

How many times, in how many ways, does Gillis have to break his commitments (ie: to players who sign contracts in good faith only to be suddenly traded away ala Cory) or play word games to infer, but not altogether say, blatant lies (ie: Morrison wasn't signed because he wanted too much), before certain average joes around here realize that it's way more likely that Gillis is the prima donna character problem than a kid like Hodgson ever was?

The only facts we actually know about Hodgson is that everyone throughout his career, from trainers to coaches, praise the kid's character, work ethic and talents, except the Canucks mgmt who had a very vested interest in making the kid look bad - a mask to hide their own poor management of an asset the team coulda used.

The frustrating part of all of this is that the Canucks just traded Cory Schneider for a kid that has virtually the same pedigree as Cody Hodgson. Everything they are saying about Horvat was said about Hodgson. Even the stuff about being a two way player. It makes me shake my head that this team had Cody Hodgson and Cory Schneider and now they have Zack Kassian and Bo Horvat. I have nothing against those two players at all. I think Horvat is awesome but all these supposed "deals" to get younger and build the depth were done with the best assets the team had.

It is OK to move players but is the team really better with the players acquired from these two players?

It still boggles my mind that two players developed in Vancouver who are on the verge of becoming stars were moved out for younger players with potential. How is that improvement?

Hodgson wanted more ice time, and he likely asked for a trade. This is a team where several players gave up millions and playing time to help build a winner.This is a team with players like Alex Burrows, Jannik Hansen, and Chris Tanev..... players who were never drafted and had to earn everything the hard way. Corey Schneider patiently earned his starts, after years in the minors... never complaining, and always putting the team ahead of his interests. For a kid to come along, and demand ice time away from a Hart trophy winner, and a selke winner speaks volumes to your character.

Cody's departure has been well-documented and discussed.

What's new is his upcoming contract.

Just read he wants 5yrs, $5mil per. Um, can anyone say, 'cap casualty?' He likely would've been gone this summer, whether or not we wanted him gone or not.

The bottom line issue has always been we have Sedin and Kesler already, and both are better players than Cody for the time being. If we wanted to be pro-active, i guess we could've turfed Sedin or Kesler to make room, but how do you justify such a move if you're a 'contender?'

Just read he wants 5yrs, $5mil per. Um, can anyone say, 'cap casualty?' He likely would've been gone this summer, whether or not we wanted him gone or not.

The bottom line issue has always been we have Sedin and Kesler already, and both are better players than Cody for the time being. If we wanted to be pro-active, i guess we could've turfed Sedin or Kesler to make room, but how do you justify such a move if you're a 'contender?'

^ This.

And wow, just incredible how some people seem to have wholesale bought into Gillis' promotional stories and decided this kid "demanded Sedin minutes" and "whined", etc. And sentiments about Hodgson's character that no one throughout the kid's career has ever even implied except for Canucks mgmt - when attempting to rationalize their poor mgmt decisions. Smart man, Gillis, gotta give him credit for how he's entirely played the sheep.

Fortunately the non-sheep, the average joe who thinks for himself, can see the pattern here...

Hodgson - Has only ever received praise from his coaches, trainers and managers throughout his development (and really, if the kid had "demanded" minutes or a trade, then you'd expect he'd arrive in Buffalo on even more of a punk ego trip, but instead all the accounts from Sabres management and veteran linemates heap further praise for Hodgson's character and talents...). The ONLY blemish against this kid's character is the IMPLIED accusations delivered by Canucks mgmt, most notably Gillis who even went as far as to suggest they'd scammed Buffalo into believing the kid was better than he is...

Canucks Mgmt - In addition to throwing Hodgson under the bus (and driving over him a few times), also managed to screw around others, such as -

- Naslund, not even offering a token contract after his last game, while Gillis later implied to the media that they just couldn't come to terms

- Morrison, after his tryout, again implying to the media that he wasn't signed only because Morrison wanted too much (except that unlike Hodgson who had to keep his mouth shut, Morrison was near the end of his career and actually challenged Gillis' version - clarifying that he'd hadn't refused anything, didn't want too much and in fact the Canucks hadn't even made an offer!)

- Malholtra, wow, just wow how his guy was handled... Great how Gillis tried to pass off the forced retirement as him being a "good guy" (rather than admitting it was a cap ploy), but facts are easy - Malholtra was not suddenly a "risk" to himself 2 years after the injury, Canucks mgmt needed the cap space though so tried to play it up, and now Malholtra is trying to find another team to play out his career with.

- The Lu/Cory mess.... what a mess, and straight at the feet of Gillis/AV. From implying just enough to the media to fuel rumours that a deal couldn't come together last summer because Luongo wanted only specific team(s), to the constant flipflopping and empty rationalizations for their own failures... Oh, claims Gilils now it's the "changed landscape" that did this, lack of a "crystal ball", yadda. yadda... Yep, sure, it's only because Gillis doesn't have a crystal ball that he couldn't at least be bothered giving either goalie the decency of a heads-up on what was unfolding.

- others? Linden forced into retirement? Ohlund walking without an offer (or rights at least traded for a pick)? Grabner?

Yep, the pattern is easy if one actually looks at how mgmt has "managed" this team's assets in recent years - Where Hodgson's only character blemish comes from his dealings with the Canucks and what has been implied/inferred against him by management, Canucks management has a lengthy list of players they've bus tossed and played head games with. So, best guess is that Hodgson doesn't deserve the insults any more than Naslund, Morrison, Ohlund, Malholtra, Lu, Cory, etc...

Should the scenario played out how he is a PPG player on the Canucks and with the team unable to re-sign him.... he would have worth more than just a prospect when traded.

MG would have (should have) gotten Kassian + more. Instead we only got Kassian who may or may not be a regular NHLer.

^ This.

And wow, just incredible how some people seem to have wholesale bought into Gillis' promotional stories and decided this kid "demanded Sedin minutes" and "whined", etc. And sentiments about Hodgson's character that no one throughout the kid's career has ever even implied except for Canucks mgmt - when attempting to rationalize their poor mgmt decisions. Smart man, Gillis, gotta give him credit for how he's entirely played the sheep.

Fortunately the non-sheep, the average joe who thinks for himself, can see the pattern here...

Hodgson - Has only ever received praise from his coaches, trainers and managers throughout his development (and really, if the kid had "demanded" minutes or a trade, then you'd expect he'd arrive in Buffalo on even more of a punk ego trip, but instead all the accounts from Sabres management and veteran linemates heap further praise for Hodgson's character and talents...). The ONLY blemish against this kid's character is the IMPLIED accusations delivered by Canucks mgmt, most notably Gillis who even went as far as to suggest they'd scammed Buffalo into believing the kid was better than he is...

Canucks Mgmt - In addition to throwing Hodgson under the bus (and driving over him a few times), also managed to screw around others, such as -

- Naslund, not even offering a token contract after his last game, while Gillis later implied to the media that they just couldn't come to terms

- Morrison, after his tryout, again implying to the media that he wasn't signed only because Morrison wanted too much (except that unlike Hodgson who had to keep his mouth shut, Morrison was near the end of his career and actually challenged Gillis' version - clarifying that he'd hadn't refused anything, didn't want too much and in fact the Canucks hadn't even made an offer!)

- Malholtra, wow, just wow how his guy was handled... Great how Gillis tried to pass off the forced retirement as him being a "good guy" (rather than admitting it was a cap ploy), but facts are easy - Malholtra was not suddenly a "risk" to himself 2 years after the injury, Canucks mgmt needed the cap space though so tried to play it up, and now Malholtra is trying to find another team to play out his career with.

- The Lu/Cory mess.... what a mess, and straight at the feet of Gillis/AV. From implying just enough to the media to fuel rumours that a deal couldn't come together last summer because Luongo wanted only specific team(s), to the constant flipflopping and empty rationalizations for their own failures... Oh, claims Gilils now it's the "changed landscape" that did this, lack of a "crystal ball", yadda. yadda... Yep, sure, it's only because Gillis doesn't have a crystal ball that he couldn't at least be bothered giving either goalie the decency of a heads-up on what was unfolding.

- others? Linden forced into retirement? Ohlund walking without an offer (or rights at least traded for a pick)? Grabner?

Yep, the pattern is easy if one actually looks at how mgmt has "managed" this team's assets in recent years - Where Hodgson's only character blemish comes from his dealings with the Canucks and what has been implied/inferred against him by management, Canucks management has a lengthy list of players they've bus tossed and played head games with. So, best guess is that Hodgson doesn't deserve the insults any more than Naslund, Morrison, Ohlund, Malholtra, Lu, Cory, etc...

Archived