The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So will Gillis finally get a LEGIT 2nd liner this summer?

ALTtimegreat

I think everyone would be happy with Brunner but hes asking for somewhere in the range of 3-3.5 so we couldnt afford him. But the two that stand out and I think I'd be happy with giving a shot at around 1.5 would be Brad Boyes and Mueller. Brad Boyes has put up some solid numbers over the years and I'd be willing to take a shot at Mueller becoming the player he was thought to be...

Thoughts?

Booth, Kassian, and Schroeder all have potential to be excellent players. If they stay healthy, find the right role/teammates, and play to their strengths I think they can contribute significantly. However, all three have issues with consistency and in Booth's case injury.

Booth - highest corsi on the team behind the Sedins the past two seasons. Was our best player on the ice before getting injured his first year, slow getting back. Despite lack of points he played well last season (Raymond/Higgins put up 2 and 3 points over that same stretch of games, Kassian & Lapierre combined for 3 points over previous 41 combined).

High end projection: 33 goals, 21 assists over 75 games

Low end projection: 6 goals, 7 assists over 35 games (injuries)

Kassian - lead our team in scoring before being buried in the bottom 6 and losing his confidence, never regaining it through the rest of the season.

High end projection: 18 goals, 20 assists over 80 games (stretches of dominance & inconsistency)

Low end projection: 2 goals, 3 assists over 55 games (scratch/4th line minutes)

Schroeder - effective when playing with somewhat skilled offensive players (Raymond & Hansen), invisible playing with grinders.

High end projection: 15 goals, 27 assists over 80 games (2nd/3rd line)

Low end projection: 2 goals, 3 assists over 21 games (scratch/demotion).

thats a lot of NTCs. wonder who gave those NTCs like candies. Thats Gillis job to decide who to trade. If he cant find a way to make this team a true contender after getting this team into cap trouble then he should be let go. And just so you know, players can waive there ntcs.

• 3 months later...

VS the sharks, it shows the canucks is still a one line team. Need someone like Vanek on the 2nd line..somehow get it done Gillis!

Booth, Higgins might be doing well right now but they wont be enough in the playoffs vs elite teams like the sharks. Higgins has not scored in the playoffs in a long time.

To me it's completely bloody obvious but apparently Gillis just doesn't like scoring or think it's important or the goal scorers haven't gone to college in the States. I guess.

Too me it's a complete no brainer to package 3rd liners we don't need and bring in second liners that we do need. Good players make everybody better.

Everyone ask yourself

was there any given point in time during a 2 year span

that we could of picked up a legit 2nd liner from free agency

Gillis cudnt pull a trigger on a package deal trade and then thers cap issues

i once considered getting jagr, when he signed with philly

anyone else?

Everyone ask yourself

was there any given point in time during a 2 year span

that we could of picked up a legit 2nd liner from free agency

Gillis cudnt pull a trigger on a package deal trade and then thers cap issues

i once considered getting jagr, when he signed with philly

anyone else?