The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time to trade Burrows?

мeтpо

You have a knack for mundane and redundant threads rookie - and stealing attention that yete also desperately needs..

Trade Burrows for a top 6 winger that we desperately need? Sorry, that's just dumb. Suggesting that Burrows is a third liner is simply oblivious - his 5 on 5 scoring 5 on 5 has been elite - in a class with Perry, Kessel, Neil and Parise over the past five seasons (at a better cap hit than any of them - less than half for the majority of that term, and still less than any of those comparables - while also being a superior two way player).

Needless to say, Burrows isn't known primarily as a "scorer". He drives possession, he supplements his linemates with excellent defensive zone presence - and then he kills penalties (as opposed to racking up pp points) and generally is the team's primary 'clutch' player. Suggesting that Kassian is prepared to play that role really oversimplifies what Burrows does aside from his net front presence and work in the corners.

Just as importantly, if you look at his actual production with vs without the Sedins the reality is that he's actually as productive without the Sedins as he is with them.

For example, in 2011/12, Burrows played 77.4% of his even strength ice time with the Sedins, yet produced 63.6% of his even strength points with them. He played 7.4% of his 5 on 5 ice time with Higgins and Kesler and produced 15.2.% of his points . Likewise in 2010/11, he played 89% of his even strenght ice time with the twins, and produced 86% of his scoring production - meaning his scoring production doesn't actually decrease when he's playing with other linemates.

Pretty solid evidence that he's not a guy who is made by the Sedins - that relationship is clearly reciprocal - and it's also evidence that he's certainly not a third liner (btw, top line players tend to play with other top line players - they all supplement each other's production). The myth is that Burrows depends upon the twins, the reality is that he's a legitimate top 6 forward regardless - and he's actually more valuable than the typical top line player, because he's able to move around the lineup, play a variety of roles, and remain productive.

Gives them total control of where they go, players may not like moves a team makes and may want to go elsewhere for better chance at stanley cup, not saying this is going to happen but there are plenty of players who had ntc and still waived them

Is it time to trade Burrows?

Burrows isn't getting any younger and he's making 4.5 mil just playing with the Sedins. I think he's a 3rd liner when he's not playing with the Sedins and I don't think he's worth 4.5 anymore.. He's almost as old as the Sedins and I think the Canucks could pick up a superior player in free agency with the space he gets (Morrow, Jagr etc)

Also, the Canucks would get a pretty good asset in return... whether they add and get a top 6 winger that the Canucks have always needed, or more picks and prospects to stock the cupboard.

2 years ago I wouldn't have even thought about it, but it makes a lot of sense now.

Kassian I think is ready to take his place with the Sedins and he just doesn't fit anymore with Booth still on the team.

What do you think about this?

Only way I do it is if its a premier player coming back. Like if he's in a package deal for weber someone like that.

Picking up a one dimensional scorer that gets maybe 20 points a season more than burr makes us worse when we lose everything else burr brings. That's probably 20 more points that will get scored on us losing a player thats that good defensively in the top six.

He earns every penny of that contract

Hockey is a business and needs to be thought of as a business. Burrows is a depreciating asset, we had him when he overperformed relative to his contract...that is good business...now that his performance will continue to decline and his contract is inline with his previous performance he no longer is good business. As a player I loved Burr, I loved what he brought to the table, I loved the clutch goals and what he did for the twins and all of it...but what is he doing for me lately...and that unfortunately is the reality of a cap system, it's a what are you doing for me now situation not remember when he lit the lamp vs chicago years back. Before his production is well below his contract offload him to a gm who still finds value in him and get an asset that can be a new "Burrows" or at least attempt to find a player who will help you now and down the line. Stop thinking with your hearts and think with your head, the players come and go we cheer the logo in the front of the jersey... We're Canucks fan, we're not hating the canucks if he leaves so everybody should be on board to do what makes this team better moving forward....Where we are now, is not inline with where he is in his career.

Archived