The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis To Meet Lu Next Week

TheRussianRocket.

I didn't get the sense the OP had anything against Mitchell Naslund Malhotra Morisson, Hodgson and Schneider, etc. But rather that he was flagging how they'd each possibly (and in my own opinion anyway) been screwed over by Gillis, who kinda has a way with doing it very well...

I don't consider any of your examples as having been 'screwed over' by Gillis. Gillis is the GM of the Canucks and he has to make tough decisions as part of the job description. He does not have the advantage of hindsight. In your list the only question marks outstanding IMO is Hodgson and Schneider. In both of these cases my reservation is strictly hockey related. Both have serious potential.

Your ongoing character assassination of Gillis is pretty small when you have no real knowledge of specific circumstances.

"Lou, I'm sorry that you were outplayed by another goaltender, making us rethink who we should go to in the future for our organization. I'm also really sorry that the contract that was constructed, together with your agent, made it next to impossible to move you."

Guest Pinchin

you disgust me... you aren't a fan of this team. show some respect for the man that made this team what it is...

Seriously im ashamed to be even posting on the same message board as u

Or, perhaps it was that Naslund (for example) felt he deserved better than 4th line minutes with his offensive strengths being constrained through AV's coaching style and proceeded to sign with the NYR where he would play in a top6 role suited to his strengths as a player?

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=12744993-3d8e-4c8e-88ce-17faaeee39d2

Perhaps you are young, and that is OK, but Lu did not make this team what it is any more than Orland Kurtenbach, Harold Snepts, King Richard, His Majesty Trevor Linden, Pavel Bure, Markus Naslund, Hank and Danny or anyone else did. I love Lu, I'm happy he's staying but don't focus too hard on the players, they are the only thing guaranteed to change...other than the coach, hehe.

The largely-ignored part of this story is that Lu knew as soon as the deal was done but Cory didn't. Talking to Lu was only necessary if MG was looking for assurances that he would stay in Van. You don't talk to the guy within minutes of making that deal only to tell him what's happening. If you do that for one goalie you'd do that for the other as well. The only reason to call just Lu was to make sure his ass was covered before agreeing to the trade.

My bet is that the visit with Lu was just to make sure everyone is on the same page, telling the same story and saying as little as possible to the media.

"Lou, I'm sorry that you were outplayed by another goaltender, making us rethink who we should go to in the future for our organization. I'm also really sorry that the contract that was constructed, together with your agent, made it next to impossible to move you."

Perhaps you are young, and that is OK, but Lu did not make this team what it is any more than Orland Kurtenbach, Harold Snepts, King Richard, His Majesty Trevor Linden, Pavel Bure, Markus Naslund, Hank and Danny or anyone else did. I love Lu, I'm happy he's staying but don't focus too hard on the players, they are the only thing guaranteed to change...other than the coach, hehe.

Archived