The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler on Tortorella. "He's going to expect more from everybody"

Pavel Burrows

Well, if you watched some of the interviews of the core group talking about AV in the previous years, they all praise him on how good he was at letting the core group lead the team. They praise him for how he did not interfere with how they ran things, and AV always talked about how responsible they are and how he doesn't have to be hands on with the core leadership group that he has in the room.

IMO, that's where AV lost the team. I believe it worked up until 2011 - when they were driven and leading themselves to become the best - the top dog. Once the core group became disillusioned and unmotivated (despite losing to Boston, they thought they were good enough and did not need to improve significantly), he could not rein them back in and be that leader who pushed them to be better.

I think the drive to be even better was not there anymore after the loss against Boston (they thought they still were good enough while neglecting the fact that all teams around them improved), and AV could not lead the team because he had handed over the reins to the players themselves already. He could not get the team back under his control.

I'm a Rangers fan, and I will say flat out that torts isn't very good with young players. Dubinsky, Anisimov, and Del Zotto, were constantly in the dog house under torts reign, the former two for little reason at all. This even led the the fan base under appreciating what Dubinsky and Anisimov brought to the team. Dubinsky's case is slightly more complicated due to contract status, but torts did hold a grudge against him and it for sure had an impact on his play.

He has a very hard time managing his players and allowing them to succeed, look at Chris Kreider last season.

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/7/17/will-john-tortorella-help-to-develop-the-young-players

A source told the New York Daily News that “multiple players” and some “top guys” wanted the coach gone. According to the New York Post, “Sather had no intention of dismissing Tortorella … until a critical mass of players informed the GM that the coach’s overbearing personality had become a roadblock to success.”

There were “no ultimatums issued,” though the message was that Tortorella “had become the problem rather than the solution,” the Post reported. Star goalie Henrik Lundqvist aired out his feelings about a “deteriorating dynamic” between Tortorella and the Rangers players, according to the paper.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/30/reports-rangers-players-pushed-for-john-tortorellas-dismissal/

Ha ha ha everybody is kissing the new messiah (Torterella) feet now. Good luck with that this is the same guy that 5 mths ago everyone hated, some how he has magically transformed ..... Must be the Vancouver water. Five bucks says that Kes is out with a shot block injury after the first month.... sigh

If they let the assistant coach take the pressers Torts might make it into year three of his contract.

The media here will turn on and spit Torts out if he continues on with his NY trash act here.

That creep Sather and his underling,Messier probably thought it was all great fun.

New York.Low life hockey central.

If they let the assistant coach take the pressers Torts might make it into year three of his contract.

The media here will turn on and spit Torts out if he continues on with his NY trash act here.

That creep Sather and his underling,Messier probably thought it was all great fun.

New York.Low life hockey central.

First thing Torts needs to tell them: "The President's Trophies don't mean sh*t anymore. Stop leaning on them"

What made this team successful has always been outworking the opponent. But what we've seen in the last two seasons is a lack of heart because they just assumed they could win games with their talent.

Time to get back to the basics.

I can see Kesler and Torts have a bit of a tiff next season. Sure he plays the hardest of any Canuck at times, but others he is completely invisible. A very inconsistent player - it'll only take the first 10 game scoreless streak of Kesler before Torts drops his ice time and gives younger guys a shot from the farm. No more of the B.S treatment AV would give his stars, Torts won't play Kesler if he doesn't play well.

I can see Kesler and Torts have a bit of a tiff next season. Sure he plays the hardest of any Canuck at times, but others he is completely invisible. A very inconsistent player - it'll only take the first 10 game scoreless streak of Kesler before Torts drops his ice time and gives younger guys a shot from the farm. No more of the B.S treatment AV would give his stars, Torts won't play Kesler if he doesn't play well.

I don't like his record.I hope it changes for the sake of hockey here.

People don't change much so it is just a matter of time before the inevitable transpires.

As for you ,it is back to Mommy or whomever is still paying to keep you warm and fuzzy.

Archived