The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Eklund] Canadiens discussing with the Canucks for a defenceman

The problem > we have the exact same problem. Garrison L, Edler L, Hamhuis L. Not as many bodies but more top end talent and cap. And just like Montreal, we lack size and toughness on D, particularly so on the right hand side.

I have a newsflash; trading Bieksa leaves us a 190 lb rookie potentially as our top RHD, 185 lb Tanev and the RHD Montreal thought so much of they did not re-sign in Weber.

Sorry guys, for all the reasons above; IMO trading Bieksa is going nowhere!

Here is the heart of what might make for what might make for common ground; Markov is a UFA next year. Plus he's been problematic for them to sign in the past. Add to that Timestamps notes. They are loaded on left D, and in puck movers but lacking overall size and two way capacity.

The obvious trade involves strength for strength rather than either giving up what they can't in right handed D!

Edler for Markov and Beaulieu?

Edler is a better two way player and 217lbs so add's size with class to Montreal's roster, scoring about the same points. Having Diaz & Subban emerging both as puck movers they would miss Markov little. Similarly moving Beaulieu makes space for them to play Tinordi. Ultimately Edler is already signed at a reasonable price and saves them choosing between signing Markov and not being able to afford Subban at the end of the year.

Beaulieu gives us a long term puck moving prospect on an ELC, 17th overall pick 2 years ago. It makes up for taking on Markov's shorter contract. We miss Edler as a two way But make no mistake; Markov would be our best puck mover and greatly boosts our ability to win this year. If we do well, Markov could also settle in and re-sign... We would be better this year but it really rests on how good a prospect Beaulieu is...

That deal sounds a win / win? For my money this gives us a scoring and puck moving prospect the calibre of Shinkaruk as a forward. He scored 52 points in 53 games in the Q! That is something we need in our system more than a log jam of two way high $ defenders.

Initially I couldn't find much fault with this proposal. But the more I thought about it the more I think that it's a deal that Montreal can't make.

Let me explain.

1st. Markov is the best player in the deal. The homers will argue but the fact is Without Markov 2 seasons ago Montreal's power play was abysmal. Last year their power play was near the top of the league and he played a major factor in that turnaround. In fact Markov was 4th in points by a defenceman last year. (Elder was 26th)

Markov's age, injury history and contract status decrease his value. But he's still the best player in the proposal.

2nd. Elder at his best is a great defenceman. But will he ever be that player again? He certainly wasn't last year. That's a very big risk for Montreal to take on considering Edler is signed for the next 6 seasons with a cap hit of $5m along with a NTC. If Edlers back continues to be an issue Montreal could be stuck with a player who isn't worth his contract and is untradeable. Edlers age is a plus but the uncertainty about his health, his contract and NTC decrease his value. I think he's worth more than Markov in a trade, but not worth Markov and Beaulieu.

If Montreal was to include one of their top prospects ( Beaulieu) in the deal they could be looking at a Gomez situation all over again. (Where Montreal gave up McDonough to get Gomez).

In addition, having Edler on the roster deals a serious blow to the cap flexibility of a team that has key RFA's and UFA's to re-sign next year.

So to summarize. Montreal doesn't make this deal because :

they give up the best player in the trade

They are a worse team this season because of the trade,

they lose a potentially great prospect

They lose cap flexibility

Run the risk of another Gomez situation if Edler doesn't rebound and Beaulieu flourishes

I'm not sure if you're serious?

Let's assume that you did hear this somewhere:

The Canucks can't take on a pure cap dump (which this would be) and the Habs aren't retaining salary if they're only getting a 4th round pick (Subban) coming back.

Even at the maximum salary retention ($3 million), the Canucks probably can't fit Markov under their cap (and still keep a full roster).

So it would have to be a player-for-player trade, most likely involving one of the Canucks D (as in the Edler proposals).

As much as I like what Markov brings (when healthy, he's a legitimate puckrushing D and PPQB), I don't like the idea of basically renting (2014 UFA) an aging veteran with injury issues in exchange for 27-year-old with 1D potential who's under contract through 2018-19.

If the Habs would somehow deal Markov for Booth++ (maybe add Subban plus a valued pick/prospect) in a salary neutral transaction, then maybe the Canucks can make it work. They'd need to get enough from Jensen and Kassian (or another rookie or even possibly Santorelli) to negate the loss of Booth (which is a big assumption). However, adding Markov to the back end, assuming he stayed healthy enough for 60+ games, would certainly make the Canucks overall offense more potent and would potentially solve an issue on the power play.

Admittedly, if the Canucks could somehow manage to have a starting six the included Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa, Tanev, and Markov, they'd have one of the most talented top-six Ds in the NHL (but also a bit of a soft group overall). It's possible that this physical deficit could be mitigated by also signing a couple bruisers for the 7/8 spots who could swap-in for starting roles against tougher opponents.

That all said, I don't think this is really the kind of a deal that Montreal is looking to make.

Although I suppose they might have interest in Booth, given that their forward group remains a bit undersized. If they can see past Booth's injury history, they might be a team that sees value in what he potentially brings when healthy.

I'm not sure if you're serious?

Let's assume that you did hear this somewhere:

The Canucks can't take on a pure cap dump (which this would be) and the Habs aren't retaining salary if they're only getting a 4th round pick (Subban) coming back.

Even at the maximum salary retention ($3 million), the Canucks probably can't fit Markov under their cap (and still keep a full roster).

So it would have to be a player-for-player trade, most likely involving one of the Canucks D (as in the Edler proposals).

As much as I like what Markov brings (when healthy, he's a legitimate puckrushing D and PPQB), I don't like the idea of basically renting (2014 UFA) an aging veteran with injury issues in exchange for 27-year-old with 1D potential who's under contract through 2018-19.

If the Habs would somehow deal Markov for Booth++ (maybe add Subban plus a valued pick/prospect) in a salary neutral transaction, then maybe the Canucks can make it work. They'd need to get enough from Jensen and Kassian (or another rookie or even possibly Santorelli) to negate the loss of Booth (which is a big assumption). However, adding Markov to the back end, assuming he stayed healthy enough for 60+ games, would certainly make the Canucks overall offense more potent and would potentially solve an issue on the power play.

Admittedly, if the Canucks could somehow manage to have a starting six the included Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa, Tanev, and Markov, they'd have one of the most talented top-six Ds in the NHL (but also a bit of a soft group overall). It's possible that this physical deficit could be mitigated by also signing a couple bruisers for the 7/8 spots who could swap-in for starting roles against tougher opponents.

That all said, I don't think this is really the kind of a deal that Montreal is looking to make.

Although I suppose they might have interest in Booth, given that their forward group remains a bit undersized. If they can see past Booth's injury history, they might be a team that sees value in what he potentially brings when healthy.

Bieksa, Hamhuis and Garrison are here to stay. The potential D is Tanev followed by Edler.

Montreal has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to forwards. So much so that NHL.com thinks Gionta & Eller will play on the third line.

As it stands our top wingers are Sedin, Burrows, Booth and Kassian. If the last two have a slow start, I could see a big move with Edler for a top 6.

If this is about Tanev it will be him for a bottom six + prospect.

A lot of legitimate points. I have always liked Markov not just because of his play but his character simply shines through. That said his body is being held together by tape. I would not be surprised to see him retire after this contract.

Montreal's reality is dealing with Boston. They have size coming up but skill. Edler would be a hugh addition especially if his physical game could be re-established. Pairing Edler with Tinordi would be imposing. Beaulieu shared the Bulldogs best defenseman award with Tinordi last year. Both had great seasons and decent NHL showings.

Gorges being part of a deal might be considered. From BC or played junior here. Plays a physical game and is a leader in Montreal.

Initially I couldn't find much fault with this proposal. But the more I thought about it the more I think that it's a deal that Montreal can't make.

Let me explain.

1st. Markov is the best player in the deal. The homers will argue but the fact is Without Markov 2 seasons ago Montreal's power play was abysmal. Last year their power play was near the top of the league and he played a major factor in that turnaround. In fact Markov was 4th in points by a defenceman last year. (Elder was 26th)

Markov's age, injury history and contract status decrease his value. But he's still the best player in the proposal.

2nd. Elder at his best is a great defenceman. But will he ever be that player again? He certainly wasn't last year. That's a very big risk for Montreal to take on considering Edler is signed for the next 6 seasons with a cap hit of $5m along with a NTC. If Edlers back continues to be an issue Montreal could be stuck with a player who isn't worth his contract and is untradeable. Edlers age is a plus but the uncertainty about his health, his contract and NTC decrease his value. I think he's worth more than Markov in a trade, but not worth Markov and Beaulieu.

If Montreal was to include one of their top prospects ( Beaulieu) in the deal they could be looking at a Gomez situation all over again. (Where Montreal gave up McDonough to get Gomez).

In addition, having Edler on the roster deals a serious blow to the cap flexibility of a team that has key RFA's and UFA's to re-sign next year.

So to summarize. Montreal doesn't make this deal because :

they give up the best player in the trade

They are a worse team this season because of the trade,

they lose a potentially great prospect

They lose cap flexibility

Run the risk of another Gomez situation if Edler doesn't rebound and Beaulieu flourishes

A healthy Markov is a top 5 (? is that fair) PP QB and an absolute asset movng the puck in a transition game. Hence why I wanted him.

He is however smaller than Edler and their D lacks size. In spite of CDC critique Edler is better defensively and more usefull in more situations. He is an asset they can keep for 5 years at a reasonable contract value. He is more durable (don't laugh, it's a fact). Its doubtful they re-sign Markov with Beaulieu and Tinordi wanting time; but why lose him for nothing?

They move forward with Edler, Gorges, Tinordi with Emelin as depth, Drewisky 8th man on the left side. That solves their size on D issues and they still have puck moving skills guys on the right. Right side is Subban (who is not small), Diaz, long term Dalton Thrower and need a depth right side guy short term as fill. Thrower has potential to replace Markov's puck moving skills (also Beaulieu, as proposal was Markov/Beaulieu); he had 18 goals and 54 points in the W last year.

Think about throwing Edler and Subban (217 and 220 lbs) out together the next 5 years. They can play against Boston's big guys plus make them pay on the PP with two of the best shots in the game. Its more enticing than you give it credit for.

I disagree, for all the reasons I already went through. MAYBE Markov and one of their better prospects (like Thrower) but not Markov and Beaulieu (Or Tinordi)

I stand by my reasoning. Edler is a huge question mark after last season, his cap hit and ntc could be a serious detriment to Montreal if Edlers isnt able to rebound. Montreal is a worse team with Edler than they are with Markov, and Beaulieu's potential is too high to gamble Gomez style

Archived