The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)10 teams that can win it all: Vancouver Canucks

naslund.is.king

Courtesy of Sportsnet

via Ryan Porth

For the second consecutive season, a ho-hum Vancouver Canucks regular season resulting in a Northwest Division title went up in flames due to a quick playoff exit.

In 2012, it was the No. 8-seeded Los Angeles Kings that took down the Canucks in five games. Last spring it took San Jose one less game to send Alain Vigneault and company packing.

Back-to-back underwhelming playoff showings resulted in Vigneault’s firing after the season. The controversial John Tortorella was brought in to help steer the Canucks in the right direction. That wasn’t the only surprising move of the summer, as Cory Schneider – not Roberto Luongo – was traded away on draft day.

The Canucks didn’t re-sign a number of their depth pieces and expect to replace them with younger options, as Brad Richardson was the team’s marquee off-season addition.

Will the Canucks finally put it all together and win 16 games at playoff time? Here are three reasons why they can and can’t win their first Stanley Cup:

Why the Canucks can win it all

1. If Tortorella was a good hire

“The way things ended last year, I don’t think anybody looks at themselves as a top dog anymore. We’ve got to find our way and battle every night,” Ryan Kesler told The Province last month.

Tortorella should help what Kesler is referring to. He’s a demanding coach, a polar opposite of Vigneault, and perhaps that’s what the Canucks need to get over the top. Things appeared to have gotten too stale the last two seasons; they were never the same team after losing Game 7 to Boston in the 2010-11 Stanley Cup final.

This Canucks club is still very good, yet the window is closing on the Sedin twins, Kesler and Luongo to win in their prime.

A different voice, one that has Cup-winning experience, could be just what the doctor ordered for the Canucks. They need a kick in the pants, if you will. And if Tortorella’s message gets across to his new team this season, the Canucks will emerge as serious Cup contenders.

2. If Luongo has amnesia

About 99.9 per cent of the human population expected Luongo to be wearing another uniform at the start of the 2013-14 campaign. It seemed as if he had already moved on after the trade deadline when he admitted that his contract “sucks.” But a bizarre turn of events in Newark has Luongo unexpectedly staying in Vancouver for the long haul.

Many wonder how Luongo can possibly go back in the Canucks’ crease and succeed despite the pressure that continues to mount on him year after year. Although he has plenty of good hockey left in the tank, he needed a change of scenery – and now it may be a long time before he gets one.

However, if he’s been able to endure the pressure and criticism in his first seven years in Vancouver he can do it again. If he puts a rocky 2012-13 season in the rear-view mirror – easier said than done – he will be just fine.

3. If Kesler stays healthy

Kesler might be the most important player on the Canucks roster. The depth at centre is weak. To be honest, beyond Kesler, the Sedins and Alex Burrows there isn’t much for the Canucks to hang their hat on offensively.

Lots of question marks up front, as Kesler – when healthy – will be anchoring a second line that could feature David Booth and Zack Kassian, two players that have yet to meet expectations in their respective careers.

The key, though, is Kesler’s health. He missed 17 games last season and has been a shell of what he was during a dominant playoff run from a short two years ago. At the same time, this is a guy who scored 41 goals in 2010-11 and could return to being one of the league’s top No. 2 centremen if 100 per cent healthy.

He’s fragile, he may not be a 70-point producer again under Tortorella, but Kesler’s health is absolutely crucial for the Canucks to have a chance to compete for the division, let alone do damage in the playoffs.

Why the Canucks can’t win it all

1. If Tortorella was a bad hire

While the potential is there for Tortorella to succeed in Vancouver, there are reasons to believe it won’t work. First of all, he may not be the perfect fit for the Canucks’ locker room. In May, before Tortorella was hired, defenseman Kevin Bieksa said, “I don’t think we need somebody to come in and crack the whip. We can work together toward a common goal.”

Bieksa, along with many other players, have since voiced their approval of the hiring. However, not every player in the league is cut out to thrive under Tortorella (see: Gaborik, Marian).

Another factor is that the defence-first, shot-blocking coach is taking over a Canucks team where offence has been their bread and butter over the years. Defence and goaltending have always been there, but their multi-faceted attack up front is what scared teams the most. Will the Canucks have trouble scoring goals like Tortorella’s Rangers did more times than not? If so, the media will be tougher on him than it was in New York.

2. A watered-down all-around product

Since losing to Boston in the 2011 Cup final, the Canucks have lost the following players, among others, via free agency or trade: Christian Ehrhoff, Max Lapierre, Manny Malhotra, Mason Raymond, Derek Roy, Sami Salo, Cory Schneider and Raffi Torres. More of those players haven’t been replaced than have been. Not only have the Canucks lost an influx of depth, but the organization hasn’t drafted particularly well, either.

The two offensive cornerstones, Daniel and Henrik Sedin, may be in the beginning stages of their career decline. In 2009-10 and 2010-11, the twins dominated opponents at a combined clip of 1.28 points per game. That average has dropped to 0.94 (still very good) over the last two seasons and they will be 33 years old when the season starts. Not to mention, they don’t have much support at the forward position to pick them up if those numbers continue to regress.

The reality is the Canucks aren’t as good as they were two, three, four years ago.

3. Stiffer divisional competition

What the Canucks dealt with in the cakewalk that was the Northwest Division is nothing compared to the division they’ll be joining via realignment. The Canucks will now reside in the Pacific Division, home of the Kings, Sharks, Ducks and Coyotes (and yes, the Oilers and Flames, too).

The Canucks won five consecutive division titles and were never really challenged in the last four seasons. They took advantage of gimme games against Calgary, Colorado and Edmonton and annually breezed to a top-three seed in the vaunted Western Conference. It won’t be that easy from now on. Over the last two seasons the Ducks and Coyotes won the division and the Kings won the Cup, while the Sharks are still the Sharks. Also, the Canucks’ schedule is road-heavy in the season’s first five weeks.

While realignment may not have that big of an effect on the Canucks’ season, the stiffer competition certainly makes things more challenging for Tortorella to start off on the right foot in Vancouver.

Prediction: The Canucks suffer some first-half growing pains under Tortorella but become a factor in the division race as the season goes along. How far they go in the playoffs will come down to health and the play of Luongo. The safe bet is that the Canucks still won’t find a way to win their last game of the season.

Every year,I believe its our time to end the drought..Call me John Garrett

Honestly, there's just too many teams with depth on paper that could slam the Canucks. I mean it's all theorycraft but I think honestly that "window" is pretty much closed, barring some blockbuster trades.

We'll always be in the playoff hunt, but it seems that we lack the will to win it all, don't know if that was AV but some games were just downright atrocious to watch. Just my opinion.

I think if we can get a top player from a rebuilding team (Vanek?) at the trade deadline and we're in good position to make the playoffs, we'd be in great shape. IMO we're in pretty good shape right now to be honest. If everyone buys into Tortorella's system and as the article mentions we stay relatively healthy throughout the regular season and playoffs, I would not be surprised to see a conference final appearance.

Expectations were/are way to high for a roster that has not had a 2nd or 3rd line for 2 seasons now. How do you play a puck possession game when your team FO % is well south of 50%. Opposing teams took advantage of this by putting their top checkers against the Twins and their forwards dumped the puck into the Van d-zone forcing the defenders to turn into the corners and fight for possession. This all happens in most NHL games but Van was faced with this pretty much every night.

Tort's coaching will have an impact but the critical points will be how the 2C and 3C positions evolve. Van's d-core is good and if Edler can refocus his game it could be superior. Lou can deliver CUP quality goaltending.

I am assuming that solid 2C & 3C positions will solidify those lines and that will actually yield more offence thus taking pressure off the Twins. I always thought that AV's puck possession game was flawed by an inability to play anything else. It was a great style for seasonal play but the Canucks could not play a physical defending style to bring a game home. In 2011 Kesler and Manny dominated the circle so well that most teams had trouble getting any traction. From that roster Van has IMHO deteriorated from an ability to play physical. My wish list for this season is that both Edler and Kassian establish a physical game to lead this roster.

Kesler would have to be one of the stars in our Canucks squad If he scores 40+ goals just like what he did in 2010-2011 this year our Canucks will make it far to the playoffs and our Canucks will be lifting up the Stanley Cup this year

I like the unknowns and IFs going into this season. I honestly believe this team, as it stands, can make a push for the cup.

The expectations are not there which shifts the pressure that the players are under. I think Kassian, Schroeder, and one of Gaunce/Jensen/Corrado will be impact players. If Kassian's work in the off season pays off, he can be the big winger with scoring touch that has been missing since Samuelsson left.

Schroeder can help add some skill to a middle-six full of grinders. I also think he can help provide a legitimate threat on the 2nd PP unit, something that has been missing since we traded Hodgson.

A healthy Booth will certainly improve the skill and toughness of the team. Look for him to have a big season or get shipped out after 30-40 games.

If Gaunce makes the jump, center depth goes from poor to good. I also think he could play wing on a line with Kesler in key defensive situations. I know it's a lot to ask from a 19 year old, but this 19 year old happens to be 6' 2" 210+, and was considered by many to be "NHL ready" when he was drafted.

I don't see Jensen making the team, but he could also prove to be the big 2RW that is needed if Booth can't stay healthy.

Finally, I think Jannik Hansen becomes an established top-6 winger. He has gotten better every year and I think he becomes a legitmate secondary scoring threat. If Hansen cracks the top-6 and so does Kassian, our scoring depth has improved.

A lot of IFs going into the season, but I like watching unknowns unfold in a positive manner (I think they will for the most paft).

I like the unknowns and IFs going into this season. I honestly believe this team, as it stands, can make a push for the cup.

The expectations are not there which shifts the pressure that the players are under. I think Kassian, Schroeder, and one of Gaunce/Jensen/Corrado will be impact players. If Kassian's work in the off season pays off, he can be the big winger with scoring touch that has been missing since Samuelsson left.

Schroeder can help add some skill to a middle-six full of grinders. I also think he can help provide a legitimate threat on the 2nd PP unit, something that has been missing since we traded Hodgson.

A healthy Booth will certainly improve the skill and toughness of the team. Look for him to have a big season or get shipped out after 30-40 games.

If Gaunce makes the jump, center depth goes from poor to good. I also think he could play wing on a line with Kesler in key defensive situations. I know it's a lot to ask from a 19 year old, but this 19 year old happens to be 6' 2" 210+, and was considered by many to be "NHL ready" when he was drafted.

I don't see Jensen making the team, but he could also prove to be the big 2RW that is needed if Booth can't stay healthy.

Finally, I think Jannik Hansen becomes an established top-6 winger. He has gotten better every year and I think he becomes a legitmate secondary scoring threat. If Hansen cracks the top-6 and so does Kassian, our scoring depth has improved.

A lot of IFs going into the season, but I like watching unknowns unfold in a positive manner (I think they will for the most paft).

Archived