The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let Lack compete for the starting job

King Heffy

You realize that Luongo's contract, doesn't actually "suck" and it is actually a REALLY good cap hit for Canucks. It only sucks when it's trying to be traded and now that Schneider isn't here, it makes 0 sense to trade your only proven starter you have left. Canucks were fortunate to have 2 and now have 1. 5.33M cap hit for a potential Vezina candidate and Olympic starter is REALLY GOOD.

McGinn has 84 points in 268 games, he is not an upgrade at all. You are sitting here trying to fish for a valid argument to why you want Luongo off the team. but the truth is, you have no solid basis to form your argument.

So what you're saying is: only pompom waivers are welcome here.

I happen to believe Schneider is the better goalie. That doesn't mean I hate Loungo or don't think he's a good goalie. I think that's the case with many fans here. You Lou "fan boys" get your panties in a knot way to easily.

Given the Luongo interview making it appear likely that he won't be back after the upcoming season, I think it's time to give Lack a legit shot at the #1 spot if he outplays Lu. It would be incredibly dangerous to rely on Luongo, and then put in an untested goalie when Roberto starts to play like trash in the playoffs yet again.

We have a new coach who won't be playing favourites nearly as much as the idiot he replaced. Goaltending should be no exception. Either Luongo plays well enough to be the undisputed starter or he can spend another season as a backup.

You guys all realize MG tried to trade Luongo for 15 months eh? I'm going to go out on a limb and say every possible avenue was explored.

And as for Luongo's contract, I would call it dangerous rather than bad, we will have to eventually face the consequences of the cap recapture.

I don't care if its 600k, we are a cap team and throwing any of that away is a fail. It could be the deference between picking up Higgins and Lappy and not. Or it could be that little bit extra that doesn't sign a UFA, or resign a core piece.

I'm going to say the only way we rid Luongo is if he retires teams are very afraid of that recapture.

What you said isn't really accurate....

Roy did win late in his career, but he also won right at the beginning of his career and in the middle as well. That's what happens when you are arguably the best goaltender in the modern era, you win a lot.

Brodeur hasn't retired yet, he may very well finish his career in a tandem/backup role. Again, like Roy, he is the exception, rather than the rule itself.

Giguere hasn't been a starter for a while now, and he's only 2 years older than Luongo.

I don't even know if Thomas is actually retired or what the hell that guy's future is going to be. That man has had a very strange career.

Hasek....even at his age, if he were to announce that he was making another comeback, it wouldn't shock me at all.....

Are you comparing these guys to Luongo? All 5 of these guys are better playoff performers than Luongo, I would take any of them in a SCF Game 7 before I would take Bobby Lou.

What I'm saying is, people who sit there and just outright say, "Lack should get to compete for the #1 spot", when Lack is going to have a bigger issue competing with Eriksson for the back up, is just complete crap.

People credit Schneider like he was some invulnerable god goalie who was the chosen one that we lost. What has Schneider done that Luongo hasn't? What has Luongo done that Schneider hasn't?

The complete and utter blind hatred towards Lu on this board is 10 times worse than the blind love people give him. People take his performance in the Olympics, credit Crosby for 1 goal, and say Lu was shaky and melting down with a .944 SV % and 1.77 GAA going into OT. People sit there and say that he was the reason for the cup loss because he only stole 3 games not 4 and that because he lost us games 3-4 it's all his fault.

Also, the cap hit of 5.33M is good for the Canucks, for now. Stop worrying about 5 years from now, that's 5 years away, for all we know Lu might pull a Tim Thomas/Brodeur and play like a stud late in his career. Worry about this season and only as far as next season. It's our job as fans to cheer for our team in the now and our prospects that look to make the jump soon. It's managements job to look after the future so we don't end up like Calgary.

Where would we be prospect wise if we dumped Lu for a 2nd? Jensen Schroeder Gaunce Shinkaruk. Those would be our top prospects. Just adding Horvat to pool makes it THAT MUCH BETTER. Jensen Schroeder Horvat Gaunce Shinkaruk.

Point is, posters here love to call out Lu lovers, but the fact is being positive is always >>> being negative. That is just a fact of life.

/endrant

Yes, in fact I am...and no I am not dreaming.

Luongo has better stats than Roy and Brodeur in the regular season and only slightly worse play-off stats. He is #3 all time sv% behind Hasek and Thomas respectively.

Top 5 Greatest Goalies of all time

Brodeur

Roy

Dryden

Hasek

Belfour/Plante

Luongo is currently

#17 All time wins and is on par to be #3-5 all time wins (keep in mind he played on the Panthers).

#3 in SV% behind Hasek and Thomas (300 wins+ you could go 200 wins + and he's still #3)

#15 All time in Shut-outs and is on par to beat Plante out and take 5th all time shut-outs.

Lu is also on par to be the 3rd goalie ever to reach 1000 GP.

If Luongo can get a Conn Smythe, Stanley Cup, or a couple Vezina Trophies, he is a lock in for the hall of fame.

So no, it is not wrong to compare him to them.

With some hardware you could easily argue

Top 5 G.O.A.T. Goalies

Brodeur

Roy

Dryden (dat win ratio) 258W 57L

Hasek

Luongo

Yes, in fact I am...and no I am not dreaming.

Luongo has better stats than Roy and Brodeur in the regular season and only slightly worse play-off stats. He is #3 all time sv% behind Hasek and Thomas respectively.

Top 5 Greatest Goalies of all time

Brodeur

Roy

Dryden

Hasek

Belfour/Plante

Luongo is currently

#17 All time wins and is on par to be #3-5 all time wins (keep in mind he played on the Panthers).

#3 in SV% behind Hasek and Thomas (300 wins+ you could go 200 wins + and he's still #3)

#15 All time in Shut-outs and is on par to beat Plante out and take 5th all time shut-outs.

Lu is also on par to be the 3rd goalie ever to reach 1000 GP.

If Luongo can get a Conn Smythe, Stanley Cup, or a couple Vezina Trophies, he is a lock in for the hall of fame.

So no, it is not wrong to compare him to them.

With some hardware you could easily argue

Top 5 G.O.A.T. Goalies

Brodeur

Roy

Dryden (dat win ratio) 258W 57L

Hasek

Luongo

4 of those guys have worse overall stats than Luongo in the regular season and only slightly better stats in the play-offs so yes it makes perfect sense to compare those guys to Lu. Though they hold more wins, they had some of the strongest teams, once again, they were the greats because they were good not just because of their team. But Lu is just far more scrutinized because of his TEAMS inability to win a Stanley Cup.

Let's go to the meat and potatoes of big-game goalies: Playoff wins. All the greats have 'em.

Luongo isn't going to touch Roy's or Brodeur's playoff win totals. He will have to double his career totals before he retires to catch Hasek, and IF Lou can keep pace at about .500 win % in the playoffs, he will have to play in at least as many games (possibly more) as the Dominator played.

Lou has Thomas beat, (as I don't think Thomas is coming back, but 29 wins in 4 seasons is impressive)

I don't know about Giguere. He is two years older than Lou, but it could go either way depending on how their careers end respectively. However, I will give the nod to Giguere unless Lou does something spectacular, as Jiggy's 03 Cup run was textbook material on clutch playoff goaltending. (1 goal allowed in the ENTIRE conference finals? Don't know if we will see that again)

Given the Luongo interview making it appear likely that he won't be back after the upcoming season, I think it's time to give Lack a legit shot at the #1 spot if he outplays Lu. It would be incredibly dangerous to rely on Luongo, and then put in an untested goalie when Roberto starts to play like trash in the playoffs yet again.

We have a new coach who won't be playing favourites nearly as much as the idiot he replaced. Goaltending should be no exception. Either Luongo plays well enough to be the undisputed starter or he can spend another season as a backup.

Archived