The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With only 2 Playmaking Top-6 skaters, Should Sedins be split?

canucksnihilist

With only 2 Playmaking Top-6 skaters, Should Sedins be split?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted no because they have such (often seemingly effortless) magic together. But, it's equally true that Hank at least has proven he can produce even without Danny, so I'm not entirely opposed to seeing it tried. I'm not convinced it would work in the long term if they're both there and healthy but not playing together because I just think they really like playing together. Even still, if Torts wants to give it a try it'll be interesting to see how they do. Maybe it would be a way to spread our our offense a little more and make it harder for other teams to defend against the Sedin magic if it's spread over 2 lines. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what Torts decides to do.

When AV was the coach, I was in favour of splitting the twins, especially in the playoffs. However, I would have to see what Tortorella does with the lines and who makes the team first....so I voted No.

If Kassian makes the first line, there may be enough toughness and skill on the line to stay productive. The Sedin's might miss Burrows at first but it is for the better if Kassian can do the job.

I would like to see:

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Jensen Kesler Burrows (Jensen is a PF with hands)

Booth Gaunce/Schroeder Hansen

Higgins Richardson Weiss/?

There has to be an injection of youth this year so some of the vets are moving down the chart at least for the start of the season. Higgins isn't really a 4th liner but he does have the size, defensive skills and might create a bit more scoring.One concern I have is whether Schroeder can improve on the faceoffs, if he can't, he won't be a good fit for the 3rd line.

Burrows is a playmaker. He's not a sniper. He can play in front of the net alright, but he's developed into more of a passer over the last season than a scorer and plays very similarly to the twins.

This is bad for our top line, good for our 2nd. Because he's always caught down low cycling with the Sedins instead of getting into a shooting position or in front of the net, he wasn't effective with the twins during most of last season because they had no shooter and 3 passers, and were often held to the outside with ease (many commentators repeatedly pointed this out over the course of the season, including the home-stretch of the 2012 season).

That spot on the top line can easily be replaced by Kassian or Hansen, both of whom are great in front of the net and play a simple game - similarly to Burrows when he was first put on the top line.

As for our 2nd line, we have Burrows, Kesler and Booth (or Higgins). All 3 players are similar size and speed, but Booth is the obvious shooter on that line, Burrows being the passer and Kesler being able to do either quite well. With Booth in front of the net, Burrows can set up Kesler for shots. With Burrows in front of the net, Kesler can set up Booth for shots. That line should work well together.

As for our 3rd line, Hansen is a great net presence (not a great shooter) while Higgins is a true sniper. If Jensen plays well and shows chemistry with Hansen, give him that spot instead of Higgins. That leaves the center spot open perfectly for Schroeder who is one of our best playmakers, and his speed complements Hansen's quite well. They've had chemistry in the past too.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

Hansen - Schroeder - Higgins

Jensen - Richardson - Ferriero

Kesler goes beast mode for maybe 1 game, Sedins get tightly checked, no room to move and our 2nd line wingers offer absolutely nothing...All Gillis does year in and year out is rotate the tires on the bottom 6, As much as I like Bo, I wish Gillis had packaged Schneider up for a legit top 6 winger..because honestly, this looks like the same song and dance over and over again.

Also, Kassain is not as good as people make him out to be, He's still young, that's why.

We are in agreement that the season was an oddball, I don't understand why you guys are trying to use that as some sort of excuse exclusive to the sedins, though.

Each and every player played under identical variables. All of the variables you listed were true, however, every player in the league had to deal with the very same circumstances so I don't understand the argument??

Using that logic, Chicago didn't really win the cup last year.

To equate last season to a full season, you need to use a factor of 1.745 (47 x 1.745= 82)

Hanks 45 points works out to 79 points over a reg season, good enough for only top 30 in the league.

Danks 40 points works out to 70 points over a reg season, good enough for only top 40 billing.

The last 3 Art Ross winners have barely been able to break 100 points and if you do the math, last year was no exception as St Louis' 60 points equates to approx 105 pts over 82 games. I'm not sure what you guys are getting at?? Last year was a 47 game season but it definitely happened.

Are you saying that only the Sedins were affected in a negative way? Or are you suggesting that Hank would have scored 50+points in the remaining 35 games which did not get played?, and I suppose Dank would have scored 60 in 35gp?

Those there are some bloody coconuts!!!

I thought we had this discussion before... We've seen when they're at their best and that is when they're together. AV split them but next period they are together because it doesn't get any better when they're split.

Everybody slows down we have to accept this. Changing it up won't help, I'd like to see a situation happen like SJ where Thornton and Marleau become secondary when Couture and Pavelski take over. Same with Sedins, Sedins still have 3-6 good years left, then Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Kass, Schroeder, Gaunce can take over. Kesler will still be around aswell.

Av's in game line juggling was scrambled, desperate and reactionary. I don't think he was intentionally trying something new with any foresight when he split the twins for a shift or two.

I agree that the "experiment", if you wish, would need to be tried consistently for 5-10 games at a minimum.

Only two play making centers? We're not even at the end of training camp and you've come to the conclusion that there are only two play making centers. With all due respect wait until the nearing of the end of the training camp to ask the question.

They are not the only play makers on this team. There is still cap space left after the signing of Tanev and Alberts.

I'm assuming that that space may be used to bolster the weakest position after camp. My assumption only.

Splitting the Sedins isn't new thinking but not necessary at this point because as stated but many others no one knows what this team will look like under Torts.

Wouldn't it be a pleasant surprised if a new play maker was unearthed?

I think you pose a debatable question but only if this team comes up with nothing after training camp.

With a decent and healthy second line the to take the pressure off, the Sedins could get back to 100 plus points if kept together.

Split them up and 80 is tops for them and we have two of the top two lines with less grit and tenacity.

Most of us have it right for the top two;

Sedin/Sedin/Kassian or Burrows

Booth/Kesler/Burrows or Kassian

Gritty second line that score and check and Kassian riding shotgun on the first line and being ultra consistent due to his new attitude.

That is the best we can do unless a rookie proves me wrong.

Archived